Author Topic: How much difference? (Mk II)  (Read 5337 times)

Re: How much difference? (Mk II)
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 07:48:08 PM »
Would someone please explain how much difference there is (was?) between the GT40 MkIIs as built/raced by Shelby American vs the "lightweight" cars run by Alan Mann at LeMans in 1966?
(I'm especially wondering about this after seeing the Movie a couple of times and trying to explain to non-car folks about the yellow Mk II XGT-1  that we visit at the Simeone Museum)
Thanks.

Mark P - speaking of XGT-1, here it is @ TWS when Rick owned it.  He & David are playing pretty hard.  Music is good too, starts @ 3:03...  Enjoy ~5:22 of vintage footage from the mid 70's.  Think Dave was running a B302 w/Webers @ the time.  XGT-1 just walks away...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYorxErdODE
Tom - DFW, Texas

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »
thanks for posting that video (not sure why I didn't see it until today). Wow.
I guess no surprise that the GT40 would walk away? ... what would the top end speed be in a GT350?

I had been wondering if the yellow MkII in the other thread ("Random Ford GT - original..." post #76) seen recently was XGT-1.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 08:51:55 AM by mark p »
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 09:19:23 AM »
thanks for posting that video (not sure why I didn't see it until today). Wow.
I guess no surprise that the GT40 would walk away? ... what would the top end speed be in a GT350?

I had been wondering if the yellow MkII in the other thread ("Random Ford GT - original..." post #76) seen recently was XGT-1.

It's the aerodynamics that hold the GT350 back. Probably what the Super Snake did at 170 something is about the expected limit presuming it has enough power.

218+ mph that was done at Lemans with the '40 is somewhere around it's limit?

I do remember Gurney pulling away from the "chase" plane at Lemans in the black one.

I kinda' find this interesting. If you follow F1 at all, the electronic wing controlled by the computer puts those cars just about where that number is on the '40.

I don't think that the "Mann" cars are as fast down the straight as the 427 cars are? Maybe stick a little better in the turns though? I don't know which drivers had to work harder?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 12:26:59 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 11:19:50 AM »
... what would the top end speed be in a GT350?

It's the aerodynamics that hold the GT350 back. Probably what the Super Snake did at 170 something is about the expected limit presuming it has enough power.

218+ mph that was done at Lemans with the '40 is somewhere around it's limit?

Yup. Thanks.
if the Daytona Coupe could "only" make to about 180, I didn't think that any Mustang could hang with a MkII.
Pretty big difference between the race car (GT40) and a street car that started out as a secretary's car  ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 07:04:04 PM »
The Allan Mann Mk2s had an aluminum greenhouse and completely diffterent front suspension that was much more adjustable and a few other differences. Heres some pics of 1 during a restoration I Supplied parts for
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 10:43:51 AM by cushmancomp »