News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New Ford GT to have a V8?

Started by deathsled, August 13, 2021, 08:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: S7MS427 on November 12, 2021, 01:40:09 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 12:30:10 PM
Tony. 95 ISN'T the worst road in the Continental US. The LIE west bound is. At one point it goes a full eight lanes wide.

I swear that I've been passed repeatedly there at over 120mph? The NYS pursuit cars are out numbered and the speeders know it.

Bumper to bumper at over 100? Simple answer is yes.

You need to wear competition seat belts because if you don't your ass sweats so much after 20 miles of this, you could slip out of the seat.

Every once in a while I drive the LIE while going out to a funeral or some such (in fact that was the case the last five times I drove it).  Now that road absolutely scares me to death.  Don't think I've ever seen such insanity on a highway in my life, day or night.

You actually have to see and experience it to believe it. Thanks for corroborating. The only way to enforce down there would be with stationing a military DIVISION possibly with a missile defense system and certainly intercept capability.

IT IS COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL! Don't talk to me about going to the "Island" for a meet. I don't want to hear it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 01:43:32 PM
The FIRST sk block available over the counter was the 351c "Australian" SK block in '76 or so. Something like $775 or so.

The phrase that applied to MOST Ford racing parts was "it's made out of unobtainium.

...and oh yea? I'll bet I'm older then you so just watch it Buddy!  ;D
The ones Motorsport sold were generally called NASCAR blocks (since Bud Moore was using US cast ones as early as 1972). Mine is a 1982 XE number pillow block. "Australian" seems to refer to later private imports trying to ride on the coat tails of the Aussie cast but Motorsport sold ones. Some of those were found to have core shift and were finished for use as 2 bolt 2 bbl engines used in Aussie street cars. As the price has jumped they have been dug out of junkyards, machined for 4 bolt mains and exported to unsuspecting buyers in the states. Billet main caps are a good indication that you are probably getting a sub par remachined block.

We used the phrase "it's made out of unobtainium" because it seemed they were trying to fund their whole race program by gouging on OTC parts.

July 1950 - do I need to call you dad?

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

March, 1949. I wasn't walking yet so I don't think I was a threat and the probability of being Dad is unlikely?

I do remember "helping" my Dad push my uncles car around on the turntable in the "carriage house" though while he was taking care of it while Uncle was away in Korea. That was probably 1951.

I'm also a few months older then Billy Joel, Bruce Springstein, Jeff Bridges amongst the '49er guys. The girls I won't mention. They are more sensitive about their ages being revealed.

Yes. I am aware of the short comings of the XE block. There was just a brand new one that still had cosmolene on it here. The seller was firm at $3500 but still didn't know what it was until I told him.

He did have it sonic tested and actually I was on the shocked side of what the walls tested out at?

At that price I'd rather go a few bucks more for a Tim Meyer block BUT so far I haven't blown up my 4 bolt D2AE-CA block in my Pantera, but I'm still trying.

I am running A3 heads off of a local circle track racer that upgraded at the time to C3's. Weber 48 IDAs on a Hall high port manifold. 180° headers with 2" primaries made by Stan at FPA. Compcams, .605 solid lifter cam.

My '67 GT500 is still just a 428 but with a Compcams .578 lift solid lifter. 3300/3301. Hooker headers. I wanted to keep it sort of stockish? ;D

My 68 GT350 is a 347 on the original block. Induction is on a C60A 2x4 Holley T/A w/1850's. Solid lifter Compcam. JBA's. AFR 1388's. Doug Nash 4+1.

So I would say that you do not need to salute me as a senior even though if it were HS I would be, but consider me as a contemporary or maybe just a pier? But I'm like Rodney Dangerfield. I get no respect so I'm used to that.

Do I have lots of grey hair? Not as grey as Randy but lots of hair yes and lots of scars from scraped knuckles. Bumps on my head that SHOULD have become bumps on knowledge but the mistakes just seem to repeat themselves as proof that I am older but not necessarily wiser?  ;D

You and I just have different experiences from being in different places. I'm sure though that there is some sort of a common denominator?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Great banter. Love it.

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned that a major reason for the V6 in the GT is for the halo effect of a boosted V6 to the rest of the Ford products. 

Such as: Navigator (I own one, 450 hp) F-Series pickups, Explorer cop vehicles, etc. 

That's a concept as old as anything in the car biz. 

And yes, I think the Corvette is a screaming bargain.   Yes, there's ridiculous dealer gouging on them.   The Z06 should be fantastic, and priced right...gouging excepted.  Or, maybe even with it.

In this day of $100,000 American SUVs, a killer Vette for under that price is indeed a great thing.   Except that it can't tow.   :P
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 04:08:57 PMA3 heads off of a local circle track racer

So I would say .... a contemporary

You and I just have different experiences from being in different places. I'm sure though that there is some sort of a common denominator?

My engine is a Huffaker prepped destroked to 310" TransAm one. It was back there around 83/4 and the owner couldn't cover the bill so the guy who built my car bought it. They've spent a lot of time in the engine even to the point of cutting and rewelding the pushrod guides for better alignment on the A3 heads.

Bottom line car guys is car guys

How come we had to get 4 pages of posts before someone mentioned Ford's real mid engine sportscar for the masses - the Pantera? It is it's 50th anniversary this year - and only the 1st one for the middy Vette.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 12, 2021, 04:32:04 PM
Great banter. Love it.

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned that a major reason for the V6 in the GT is for the halo effect of a boosted V6 to the rest of the Ford products. 

Such as: Navigator (I own one, 450 hp) F-Series pickups, Explorer cop vehicles, etc. 

That's a concept as old as anything in the car biz. 

And yes, I think the Corvette is a screaming bargain.   Yes, there's ridiculous dealer gouging on them.   The Z06 should be fantastic, and priced right...gouging excepted.  Or, maybe even with it.

In this day of $100,000 American SUVs, a killer Vette for under that price is indeed a great thing.   Except that it can't tow.   :P

I need to get roof racks on it to carry my ladders and scaffolding. What do you think the odds are of that? I can hold out hope right?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 12, 2021, 04:32:04 PM
.....a killer Vette for under that price is indeed a great thing.   Except that it can't tow. 

Why not? Plenty of power - just weld up a frame hitch and use a load leveler. I'd say you'd be fine up to around 6,000 pounds. Look what they used to tow with in the 50s. People didn't vacation in their uncomfortable trucks and even towed their "park model" trailers around the country.

Side-Oilers

That's Lucy and Desi in "Long, Long Trailer."  Fun movie.   

Agreed that vintage trailering was often unsafe at any speed. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 12, 2021, 04:35:00 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 04:08:57 PMA3 heads off of a local circle track racer

So I would say .... a contemporary

My engine is a Huffaker prepped destroked to 310" TransAm one. It was back there around 83/4 and the owner couldn't cover the bill so the guy who built my car bought it. They've spent a lot of time in the engine even to the point of cutting and rewelding the pushrod guides for better alignment on the A3 heads.

Bottom line car guys is car guys

How come we had to get 4 pages of posts before someone mentioned Ford's real mid engine sportscar for the masses - the Pantera? It is it's 50th anniversary this year - and only the 1st one for the middy Vette.

Mentioning non-Shelby related cars around here has fallen out of favor. It's a different crowd now. Some improvements. Some detriments.

The A3 heads were prepped for me by Joe Lapine at Danbury Competition. I'm not a racer, maybe just a lunatic street guy? I don't know. People keep their distance from me and don't turn their backs?

Even the car thief that was in the driveway at midnight threw up his hands saying "please don't do anything...I'm going" and ran down the driveway, jumped into a running car and drove off.

People tell me that I make faces at them? Maybe I watched too many John Wayne movies as a kid and shouldn't wear that black Rooster Codburn eye patch? Dun' no'? I don't think it is the Colt in the side holster? Do you? ;D

I actually had the guide plate issue on the AFR's. It caused me to bend a few push
rods. I've got that ironed out now. The A3's have been problem free...knock on wood as he punches his head.

I had a set of B351's which had smaller ports and I absolutely hated.

The Pantera SEEMS to be just right with a 351. You've gotta worry that you don't hurt the ZF. A 383 would be nice with a thick XE or Meyer block but is likely over the torque limit of that silly thing?

As I recall (correctly or not) the ZF was tried in the MkII's and promptly destroyed itself? So a very limited budget keeps me from going there.

Leave it alone is my motto at this point.

By the same token a 8,500 +rpm something small block is going to need a lot of maintenance with some now very expensive parts. Titanium valves alone are gonna' put a big crimp in your happy.

We are car guys. That's the common denominator. Probably with an unreasonable twist towards Shelby and even the corporate antics of FoMoCo? There is no reasonable explanation of that. My shrink has no opinion on that. I think that she's afraid of me?

As I said. Speaking truth to power has always been an iffy thing?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

"Mentioning non-Shelby related cars around here has fallen out of favor. It's a different crowd now. Some improvements. Some detriments.

We are car guys. That's the common denominator. Probably with an unreasonable twist towards Shelby and even the corporate antics of FoMoCo? There is no reasonable explanation of that."

^^^Agreed ^^^     

Keep the car discussions coming, guys.  Maybe more in The Lounge for non-Shelby thingys?   
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Just throwing this gem out there for you guys wanting a C8 "R Model" - https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/chevy-announces-new-2024-corvette-z06-gt3-r-race-car/
Yes Pantera transaxle was a problem. I remember going to Stroppe's on Signal Hill and he had a whole room full of Pantera warranty transaxles. They belonged to Ford and I don't know if they finally went back for rebuild or just got scrapped.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 12, 2021, 05:01:31 PM
Just throwing this gem out there for you guys wanting a C8 "R Model" - https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/chevy-announces-new-2024-corvette-z06-gt3-r-race-car/
Yes Pantera transaxle was a problem. I remember going to Stroppe's on Signal Hill and he had a whole room full of Pantera warranty transaxles. They belonged to Ford and I don't know if they finally went back for rebuild or just got scrapped.

One of the Ford guys showed up and commented that the "warranty division" was panicked about what was reported by one of the engineers reviewing the Pantera as undependable.

He said that he remembered Ford requiring Pantera dealers to keep IN STOCK at least three ZF's for warranty claims that they expected.

It is a strange device but at the time was very high tech and was the cutting edge. The problem now with it is it's going to cost you a minimum of $9,000 to go through it and you'll have to wait about a year to get it back.

Mostly it is synchro issues as they are compressed powdered iron, but only for the Pantera. Who's bright idea that was, I don't know? The GT40 versions were brass.

You CAN rebuild them yourself. There isn't anything tricky or radical with them. Just the parts are ridiculously expensive now.

Also the limited slip discs are small and you need to have the rear tires within .2 inches in circumference or burn them up. Those Goodyear Arriva's had to be matched at the factory in pairs. 

Do you think that your local Goodyear tire dealer knew about that?

Hey! I grew up as Corvette wannabe and only stumbled into Shelby's by accident.

As a result of becoming essentially a Shelby cult member, I've looked at Corvettes as sort of the unfriendly opposition all of these years. With the introduction of the C8 I can feel myself slipping into the dark side but I'm waiting for a manual transmission which I fear will be the final Garden of Eden apple?

I can just feel this happening. Is there anyone that can help me overcome this? I need someone to talk me out of it? Help...please!

I hate the C8 designers. They are positively evil!  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 05:19:57 PM

With the introduction of the C8 I can feel myself slipping into the dark side ....I can just feel this happening. Is there anyone that can help me overcome this? I need someone to talk me out of it? Help...please!

First new car I asked my dad to take me to see was the 63 Vette. Fell in love with the black with red interior split window they had on the floor.
First Shelby I saw was a 65 parked by the snackbar in the esses at Riverside. A great car but not sporty.
In college I bought my first Vette a 54 $600. Swapped it for a 2 year old VW bug when the trans died - I had to get to school. Later got a 63 Roadster and a 66 BB Coupe (the only one I miss). A 85 with under 30,000 garage stored miles fell in my lap a couple years ago for 3 grand. What a POS sold it to a guy in New Zealand for $6000 so in the end I was happy with it. A C6 might be the best bet right now. C8 are hard to get and C7 are being snapped up by the people who think it's the last real Vette.

SAAC had a resident psych who wrote under the name of Dr. Shelby but he passed away - https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/pe/name/frank-zizzo-obituary?id=8733664

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 12, 2021, 06:02:56 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 05:19:57 PM

With the introduction of the C8 I can feel myself slipping into the dark side ....I can just feel this happening. Is there anyone that can help me overcome this? I need someone to talk me out of it? Help...please!

First new car I asked my dad to take me to see was the 63 Vette. Fell in love with the black with red interior split window they had on the floor.
First Shelby I saw was a 65 parked by the snackbar in the esses at Riverside. A great car but not sporty.
In college I bought my first Vette a 54 $600. Swapped it for a 2 year old VW bug when the trans died - I had to get to school. Later got a 63 Roadster and a 66 BB Coupe (the only one I miss). A 85 with under 30,000 garage stored miles fell in my lap a couple years ago for 3 grand. What a POS sold it to a guy in New Zealand for $6000 so in the end I was happy with it. A C6 might be the best bet right now. C8 are hard to get and C7 are being snapped up by the people who think it's the last real Vette.

SAAC had a resident psych who wrote under the name of Dr. Shelby but he passed away - https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/pe/name/frank-zizzo-obituary?id=8733664

Maybe I could try to contact his spirit? It could be a case of haunting though? Maybe a seance is in order?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 12, 2021, 07:53:34 PM
Maybe I could try to contact his spirit? It could be a case of haunting though? Maybe a seance is in order?
Might be worth a try. Last time we saw Frank & his wife was at the Mission Inn in Riverside for dinner. He had just purchased a B Sedan Pinto similar to the one I owned at the time.