Author Topic: 65 S1MS Cobra intake  (Read 1656 times)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
65 S1MS Cobra intake
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »
Question for those that know. Were there any 65 S1MS intakes shipped that did not have the stamped metal baffle attached to the bottom side of the intake?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 65 S1MS Cobra intake
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
Question for those that know. Were there any 65 S1MS intakes shipped that did not have the stamped metal baffle attached to the bottom side of the intake?
If there were any street cars that had intakes without the heat shield from the factory then it was not typical. I can not remember if the R model intakes that were not drilled for PCV or temp sender had the shield or not. When restoring or just cleaning up the intakes in a blast cabinet the shield has to be taken off so that the glass beads or other media can be clean out. Many times the shield is not put back on for a variety of reasons including it typically doesn't make a noticeable difference if left off .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 11:13:48 PM »
Guess you have already inspected the bottom of the intake and looked to see if there are holes present and if so if they have ever been used
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
The pictures I have seen show the 2 cast boss on underside with what appears to be correct stamping from Offy. But the casting also has the 4 areas where the metal plate normally mounts. Plate is not there, but there are no signs of the 4 mounting holes ever being drilled. Has the S1MS casting with temp, heater and PCV ports. Trying to determine if authentic or really close repo. There are no holes in the 2 boss areas nor are there holes where metal plate would mount.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 12:30:34 PM »
The pictures I have seen show the 2 cast boss on underside with what appears to be correct stamping from Offy. But the casting also has the 4 areas where the metal plate normally mounts. Plate is not there, but there are no signs of the 4 mounting holes ever being drilled. Has the S1MS casting with temp, heater and PCV ports. Trying to determine if authentic or really close repo. There are no holes in the 2 boss areas nor are there holes where metal plate would mount.
I have seen large port ,large letter Cobra repro intakes incorrectly cast with a S1MS . I don't think the repro intakes come with shields ether.  The S1MS intake is the small letter. If the intake in question has all of the normal genuine characteristics of a small letter intake then given that the normal casting area is not drilled more then likely it is a factory anomaly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby