Author Topic: 66 fiberglass hoods with steel frames  (Read 4387 times)

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 66 fiberglass hoods with steel frames
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Randy, thanks for sharing your opinion on this hood. I have long suspected that this is a "later" hood based on the "gussets" under the leading edge. But I never knew that there was a difference in the scoop opening. What fun this is learning something new!

If your trouble with photos is posting them to the forum, feel free to email them to me and I'll post them here for you. My email address is in my forum profile.

If anyone else has some pictures of the scoop opening on the "early" fiberglass over steel hoods, please jump in and post them.

Thanks,
Steve

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
      Steve ,
          I am not smart enough to own a smart phone and my flip phone is erratic at best. Plus the car is in the hauler at the moment. I'll work on it as this is key information.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 03:33:57 PM »
Did look through my pictures - lots of them though as expected not an area of the car many people have taken pictures of. Can offer the following two examples that appear different from one another. Of course during "restorations" and repair the opening has been modified (some pretty ugly) and no longer look like originals

Hope this helps in some way

Not an area I've spent much time looking into or at
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 04:17:56 PM »
    Jeff ,
      Thanks as always! The gold stripe is similar to mine and the blue stripe is similar to the later hood although I can't see if the hood extends into the scoop area like the gold stripe hood.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 04:56:18 PM »
The example with the gold stripes is from an early car in the just less that 6S500 range and the blue striped is from the early teens
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
 Makes sense as mine is 477. Mine has never been "body worked" in the scoop area . The pictures ( when I get them ) will show the details I talk about.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 05:35:56 PM »
Jeff, Thanks for the pictures, and the info about which scoop is the early and later version.

Jeff & Randy, Thanks for adding to my education!

I'm now reasonably convinced that the early hood version had the deeper scoop opening like the gold hood Jeff posted, along with NO "gussets" under the leading edge. And the later hood version had the shallower scoop opening like the blue hood Jeff posted, along with the 4 "gussets" under the leading edge. Does anyone disagree with that? Have I gone off the rails with that generalization? Maybe those two features do not need to be linked to each other?

Also, has anyone linked the clocking of the hood pin plate rivets to these two hood types? Could the 12-3-6-9 clocking go with the early hoods and the 2-4-8-10 clocking go with the later hoods?

Steve

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
See no reason to thing there is a link between the the clocking of the hood pin plates in 66 with the style of hood be it fiberglass and steel early, late or steel in its different versions.

Going to have to think and digest your other statement before offering an opinion :)

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 04:25:56 AM »
Might be a bit off topic but what about the replacement or NOS hoods of the era? If an original was damaged. What are they like? Like the late style?
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 06:51:30 AM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276