News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

refinishing interior quarter panels

Started by Jack4159, August 22, 2021, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Mine are a bit scratched up but in good shape otherwise.
A bit of research saw Krylon 1613 semi flat black recommended but I can't find it in Australia.
In fact, I can't find anything else that is described as "semi flat"(I can find "semi gloss" and "flat")
Has anyone used an alternative that worked out well?

Thanks as always for any advice.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jack4159 on August 22, 2021, 12:14:41 PM
Mine are a bit scratched up but in good shape otherwise.
A bit of research saw Krylon 1613 semi flat black recommended but I can't find it in Australia.
In fact, I can't find anything else that is described as "semi flat"(I can find "semi gloss" and "flat")
Has anyone used an alternative that worked out well?

Thanks as always for any advice.
The good news you don't have to find a semi gloss black paint. The bad news is if the interior is currently black it is not factory correct. Since this is in the 68 category you should be aware that the interior panels quarter and otherwise came from the factory painted a dark charcoal metallic (also goes by other similar names in paint books)and not a semi gloss black. NPD sells it in a spray can but when doing a entire interior including dash and doors it is best to buy it from a professional auto paint store the paint and supporting products IMO.  I will let others go through a complete tutorial . Hopefully if you look closer you will find that your interior is not black but the factory dark charcoal metallic.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

This has been posted many times but guess its time to do it again :)

1- You'll need to strip your panels down to the base so that you do not hide or minimize the grain in the finished product. o make sure all the old paint is removed from the grain details.

2- Once you have a clean and prepared surface then apply a couple of light but full coats of any good semi-gloss black. More paint less grain

3- Then over coat that with a couple of light but full dry coats of Dark Charcoal Metallic. You want to add color (dark gray) and some sparkle but most of these paints don't cover well - the reason for the base coats of black. Too much the grain gets filled and the final look can be glossy.

That's about it. Hope this works as well for you as it has for hundreds or maybe more of other's
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JWH

As Jeff Speegle points out there have been several threads going in-depth on stripping and refinishing the interior quarter panels - the search box is your friend.

The best tip that worked really well for me is to use EZ Off Oven Cleaner in the yellow can (not blue) to strip off the paint. It may take several applications so be patient but it will remove the paint and leave the texture in excellent condition. Also, I highly recommend using the SEM Plastic Dye if going the aerosol can route. You will need a can of the SEM Prep also. Follow the directions SEM provides and you will get excellent results. Good luck with the project.
Jeff

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on August 23, 2021, 01:23:17 AM
As Jeff Speegle points out there have been several threads going in-depth on stripping and refinishing the interior quarter panels - the search box is your friend.

The best tip that worked really well for me is to use EZ Off Oven Cleaner in the yellow can (not blue) to strip off the paint. It may take several applications so be patient but it will remove the paint and leave the texture in excellent condition. Also, I highly recommend using the SEM Plastic Dye if going the aerosol can route. You will need a can of the SEM Prep also. Follow the directions SEM provides and you will get excellent results. Good luck with the project.
Jeff
In a effort to not confuse the OP and stay on track in the 1968 category thread - Sems dye has a black appropriate for 65/66 but it does not come in the dark  charcoal metallic like used on 67-70.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 23, 2021, 10:03:52 AM
In a effort to not confuse the OP and stay on track in the 1968 category thread - Sems dye has a black appropriate for 65/66 but it does not come in the dark  charcoal metallic like used on 67-70.

NPD sells charcoal black with a SEMS label.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Jack4159

Wow, what a treasure trove of info, thank you all VERY much.
I can now go forward and get the job done right.
I can see now that my panels are a charcoal grey and really a long way off black.  :)
I've asked a lot of questions here over the last 6 months or so, and am very grateful for the helpful(and patient) responses, the car is also very grateful.
Thanks once again for taking the time to share your knowledge gents, very generous of you all.