News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Need an Original 6 bolt Cobra bell housing

Started by Chad, August 21, 2021, 09:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Does anyone have an original 6 bolt Cobra scatter shield they would want to sell?
Thanks
Chad

There's a 6 bolt on eBay and two 5 bolts.

Jon

Bob Gaines

I went to parts school and learned to look at the bolt holes as in that ebay example. The ones that bolt it to the block. They are off center. Genuine are centered. That is the most dramatic on the outside . The letters can be different too but that is more subtle.  On the inside is the easiest tell. No dash (-) between the engineering numbers means its a repro. Genuine has the dash (-) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shlby66

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 21, 2021, 11:18:41 AM
I went to parts school and learned to look at the bolt holes as in that ebay example. The ones that bolt it to the block. They are off center.

What that means, is, the register, of the pilot bushing, is off center and your transmission input shaft, won't line up.

Doug C.

There's also a 6 bolt 289 wedge version on eBay for cheaper. I would assume it's original as I see no reason it would be reproduced.

Jon

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shlby66 on August 21, 2021, 11:33:07 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 21, 2021, 11:18:41 AM
I went to parts school and learned to look at the bolt holes as in that ebay example. The ones that bolt it to the block. They are off center.

What that means, is, the register, of the pilot bushing, is off center and your transmission input shaft, won't line up.

Doug C.
Yes it could mean that . In this case I was told that the repros back when they were made that the MFG used the center of the trans hole as a basis to drill the bolt holes from so as to be true to center . True or not I know of many repro scatter shield that have been successfully used for years in track cars.At the very least some were fine for that purpose. The bigger issue is genuine or reproduction.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 21, 2021, 12:14:56 PM
Yes it could mean that . In this case I was told that the repros back when they were made that the MFG used the center of the trans hole as a basis to drill the bolt holes from so as to be true to center . True or not I know of many repro scatter shield that have been successfully used for years in track cars.At the very least some were fine for that purpose. The bigger issue is genuine or reproduction.

+1. I bought a repop from Branda in 1995, have been using it ever since, alignment is perfect. The link Brian posted above in reply #2 has great info...
Dave - 6S1757

Rocket

Have a 6 bolt on 6S550. My first one had 2 dowel pin holes not right. Sent it back to the man in Minnesota that had them remanafactiured and he sent me one that had everything in the right place. Been running it for over23 years with no problems. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.