Author Topic: W-MO radiator 1-66 and the applicable AMK tag  (Read 1658 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
W-MO radiator 1-66 and the applicable AMK tag
« on: August 23, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
Hi all,

What tag should a 1966 Mustang 289 with a 1-66 dated coded W-MO radiator get?  The current AMK guide for this application shows no tag.  An older AMK guide shows C6ZE-H2.  It appears AMK has dropped the H2 tags.  In the absents of the H2, should I go with the G2 or none at all?

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: W-MO radiator 1-66 and the applicable AMK tag
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »
Cory - is the car a 4 speed or automatic?

If its a 4 speed then you surely want a G2. If an auto then M2 (Added: There is at least one example were a different radiator was installed. May be due to the early build nature of that example)

The use of brazed on ID tags from the information being imprinted in the top tank started long before your car was built

Remember that much of AMK stuff focuses on more Mustang stuff in general unless noted
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:08:13 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:28:51 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I did forget to mention it is a standard transmission (four speed).  According to the old AMK radiator tag guide, it should have a soldered on C6ZE-H2 tag, but no longer available.  The current AMK guide shows the C4ZE-G2 tag only good for early 1965 and the C4ZE-Y2 for 1965.   My radiator guy is going to call AMK and ask them why they don't offer the C6ZE-H2 tag any more.  The fall back will be the C4ZE-G2 tag.

Thanks

Cory

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:10:54 PM by 6s1640 »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »
Would make the G2 my focus rather than a fall back but up to you - it is your car.

Not sure why your relying on an old reference made on a specific site? Never seen nor heard of an original Shelby with an H2 tag. Guess I've got a few hundred or many more 66's with four speeds documented with G2's and why they are so expensive. Looking through my database I don't seem to have a single example (Shelby or Mustang) with an H2 from any of the three plants

If you need pictures of examples (with your date and the G2 label/tag) I'm sure that can take place

Given how long ago when Max came up with that chart, I would guess he used a more recent (than 1966) MPC and we know those are full of service replacement parts often different or replaced by other parts in an effort to reduce overhead and inventory/stocking costs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:53:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 10:11:37 PM »
Hi Jeff,,

I may have found a source for the C6ZE-H2 tag.  Yearone has them listed.  I placed an order for one.  Cross your fingers they have them.

I will go through my pictures and see if I can find a H2 on a 66 GT350.

Take care

Cory
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:13:23 PM by 6s1640 »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 07:38:16 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Photoshop update killed it :(

Picked a few examples to show- focusing on covering the production period Nov 65 (upper left) through Feb 66 (lower right)

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 03:25:18 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting the images of the four radiators.  To recap, all four have the C4ZE-G2 tag attached to W-MO dated coded radiators:

10-65
12-65
  2-66
  4-66

It sure does seam convincing my 1-66 should be tagged the same, right in the middle of your list.  I actually think I might have some of the same or very similar images

Thank you again

Cory