News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 shelby hood color

Started by shelbyhertz66, September 03, 2021, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbyhertz66

Hi All,
Just wondering what color was the inside of the hood when new? mine is black
but I have seen others body color . Was it an early v/s late production thing? my car
is late in the 67 production run.
Thanks

JD

It's more the type of hood, the early metal framed hoods with fiberglass bonded to the top were painted body color top and bottom.

The all fiberglass (later) hoods were body color on top with overspray around the edges and through the hood scoop openings (and louvers if it was a louvered hood).
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

George Schalk

The early steel framed fiberglass hoods for '67 were typically painted body color on the complete underside of the hood.  The later all fiberglass hoods were typically not painted body color, but they did have a drift of overspray of the body color over the grayish black primer.  There should be more primer apparent than body color. 

The light drift of overspray would also be correct on the underside of the later all fiberglass trunk lids.

George Schalk

Here are some sample pics of an original later '67 all fiberglass hood and trunk lid.

shelbyhertz66

thanks for the replies,
it looks like my car is done correctly for when it was built
as it has kind of a flat black finish.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on September 05, 2021, 11:22:29 AM
thanks for the replies,
it looks like my car is done correctly for when it was built
as it has kind of a flat black finish.
FYI some hoods were painted black underneath from the fiberglass MFG and others came bare fiberglass. I envision them being painted on large TV tray type fixtures. SA took them and painted them without taping off the bottom side. Regardless of if black or bare fiberglass it should have body color over spray on the bottom side radiating from the edges as a result of the process.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbyhertz66

Thanks Bob,
Your expertise is always helpful.