News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

WTB a M or MA booster for a 4100 Autolite carb

Started by 6s1640, August 28, 2021, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Does anyone have a spare that are willing to sell?  Or info what other 4100 carb the same booster might come in.  This is the primary booster to a C6ZF-F or -C carb.

Thanks

Cory

Dan Case

M parts were used in several carburetors for High Performance 289 engines. None of them are cheap as cores now. It is not uncommon for this part to be removed from cores before the cores are sold.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

6s1640

Hi Dan,

Thanks for responding to my thread.  I was hoping you would chime in.  While digging around the internet, I did find your similar comments on another site.  From the 1975 MPC, the "MA" booster C4OF-9A523-C also came in carburetors C5OF-K, M and T.  From another site, two of the carbs (K & M) were identified as 1965 ci 289 271HP engines for automatics.  Which IIRC, were never produced.  I don't think I have ever heard of these other carbs, but as you say, they are rare as well.

The ZFF carb I am working on has booster CH2 and BA.  It appears the CH2 is for a 1965 CI 289 225 HP automatic car.  Do you think its possible, when the carb was being built back in the day, they were short on the MA booster and installed the CH2?  This booster would be the next best booster to install in the ZFF carb for automatic.  The date code on the tag is late, 7BD for forth week February 1967.  I am guessing the supplier ran short on the MA booster.

Thanks for the help.

Cory

Dan Case

Quote from: 6s1640 on August 29, 2021, 02:34:53 PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for responding to my thread.  I was hoping you would chime in.  While digging around the internet, I did find your similar comments on another site.  From the 1975 MPC, the "MA" booster C4OF-9A523-C also came in carburetors C5OF-K, M and T.  From another site, two of the carbs (K & M) were identified as 1965 ci 289 271HP engines for automatics.  Which IIRC, were never produced.  I don't think I have ever heard of these other carbs, but as you say, they are rare as well.

The ZFF carb I am working on has booster CH2 and BA.  It appears the CH2 is for a 1965 CI 289 225 HP automatic car.  Do you think its possible, when the carb was being built back in the day, they were short on the MA booster and installed the CH2?  This booster would be the next best booster to install in the ZFF carb for automatic.  The date code on the tag is late, 7BD for forth week February 1967.  I am guessing the supplier ran short on the MA booster.

Thanks for the help.

Cory

Ford would have had no need to purposely misbuild a carburetor.  Ford was responsible for vehicle engine emissions in most states by 1964. The general public on the other has been robbing rare parts from carburetors since at least the mid 1970s. Drag racers also tended to try all kinds of parts swaps improve car performance and yes in the 1960s and 1970s race car owners were modifying Ford 4100-A models for improved full race performance. Or maybe somebody just damaged a part and used what they could find to have something sellable. 

When stocks of assembly line carburetors were depleted Ford had new generic service replacement carburetors made.

Ford sold quite a few HP289 powered vehicles with automatic transmissions and or road draft ventilation.  Just because parts dealers don't have parts now does not mean anything about day one.  The rarest I know was the 1964½ Fairlane HP289 for automatic transmission and matching High Performance C4 transmission.  Ultra rare new. Followed by similar but different 1965 Fairlane version a few weeks later with 1965 transmission models for floor shift or column shift (15 new Cobras got the 1965 version engine and column shift transmission.)

In Bob Mannel's book, he just covers small block engines, he lists M and MA parts in HP289 carburetors between the late 1964 model year and 1966 model years.  There were carburetor assemblies for model years, for type of transmission, and type of crankcase ventilation system.  Most of the HP289 models were either very rare day one and or were not saved because they were probably not recognized as unique assemblies. Parts dealers I have talked and worked with since the early 1980s concentrated on the C4OF-AL, C5OF-L, and C6ZF-C models.
C4OZ-B , M assemblies USED IN:
C4OF-AL, C4OF-AT, C4OF-BT, C4OF-BU, C4ZF-G, C4ZF-H, C5OF-J, C5OF-L, C5OF-T, C6ZF-C,

C4OZ-C, MA assemblies USED IN:
C5OF-K, C5OF-M, C5OF-U, C6ZF-F
I do not recall the details anymore but Bob Mannel told me once what was different between the M and MA parts I seem to recall. The C5OF-K, C5OF-M, C5OF-U, and C6ZF-F carburetors were all for automatic transmission cars and there was something about the air fuel curve was different for them.

In commercially rebuilt and or remanufactured HP289 carburetors I have found quite a few different primary booster clusters.  I found a remanufactured carburetor that originally had an M with a MA part.  I got lucky as somebody had a remanufactured unit with the opposite swap. We traded.

I know three carburetor shops that have carburetors that they are hunting M parts for. I need one myself for a Cobra's carburetor.   (We want genuine ones in great condition, not home made ones, which are out there.) For me to complete one carburetor I usually have to buy three to five HP289 unit cores, one Galaxie core, and a few loose parts. I then sell off what I can of the remains.

Not wanting to transcribe Bob's online book here but an option might be to use jets and boosters like a 1967 model carburetor or one of the C6 or C8 service replacement HP289 carburetors
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

6s1640

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the great response.  You are a wealth of information.

Along the same line, can you tell me what a "2 M" booster means?  I have a early NOS C6ZF-C carb with a "2 M" booster.  I have seen other boosters with the No. 2 as well.  I have not seen with the "2" in the MPC.  Do you know what the "2" means?  Attached is an image.  Notice the yellow paint mark.  The other booster has two red paint marks.

Thanks

Cory