News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

#2087 Restoration Questions

Started by Fastback66, September 01, 2021, 12:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastback66

Hello,
   I'm about to start putting my GT350 #2087 back together and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone could help me with.

1. The rear body panel that holds the tail light assembly- Is there caulking or something that goes behind the panel to seal it? The car had been repainted blue previously in the 80's and silicone had been used to fill the gaps, it looked pretty sloppy and not correct but I imagine something went in there. I have  attached a picture to clarify what I'm referring to.

2. Is strip caulk used between the gas tank and body of the car?

3. The taillight housing had a gasket plus strip caulk before mounted. I'm going to clean them up but is that correct also? Have have attached a picture of what it looked like after removal

4. What color is the rear wheel well supposed to be? Black, body color, red oxide primer?

5. My leaf spring snubbers that protect against wheel hop are missing the rubber, what can I use to replace them? If I cant find OE replacement what is a good alternative?

6. Can someone please provide a visual reference to how the center head lights were wired? I understand they were spliced in but would like to see a couple pictures if possible.

Thanks!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fastback66 on September 01, 2021, 12:57:49 PM
Hello,
   I'm about to start putting my GT350 #2087 back together and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone could help me with.

1. The rear body panel that holds the tail light assembly- Is there caulking or something that goes behind the panel to seal it? The car had been repainted blue previously in the 80's and silicone had been used to fill the gaps, it looked pretty sloppy and not correct but I imagine something went in there. I have  attached a picture to clarify what I'm referring to.

2. Is strip caulk used between the gas tank and body of the car?

3. The taillight housing had a gasket plus strip caulk before mounted. I'm going to clean them up but is that correct also? Have have attached a picture of what it looked like after removal

4. What color is the rear wheel well supposed to be? Black, body color, red oxide primer?

5. My leaf spring snubbers that protect against wheel hop are missing the rubber, what can I use to replace them? If I cant find OE replacement what is a good alternative?

6. Can someone please provide a visual reference to how the center head lights were wired? I understand they were spliced in but would like to see a couple pictures if possible.

Thanks!
1. Dark gray Auto body strip caulk around the perimeter of the fiberglass panel. You may have to blend black and gray together. 2. Yes strip caulk is used before laying gas tank into opening. 3.Taillight housing originally only came with a gasket. I think NPD or Branda sell the gasket. 4. The short answer is rear wheel well started out with red oxide but it got extensive body color overspray from painting of the wheel well opening and inside edge by the assemblyline painter. I will let others elaborate if needed. 5. The leaf spring snubber used the same rubber snubber as used as 9 inch pinion shields 65-67. They are fine thread and later versions are course thread which will not work. They are also reproed as such just be sure you get the fine thread. 6. I'll let someone else show that. Best of luck with the project.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fastback66

Another question.. my taillights didn't have this panel, should it? Did all 67's have this? Where can I source if needed?

greekz

Here is how mine are wired and the illustration according to the assembly manual.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Fastback66

Thank you, that picture helps quite a bit.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fastback66 on September 01, 2021, 05:28:38 PM
Another question.. my taillights didn't have this panel, should it? Did all 67's have this? Where can I source if needed?
Yes all 67 Shelby's had them. There are two kinds used one is refer to as short and the other wide. Your later car should have the short version which allows a little more room for tire etc.I will PM you on source.  ;) 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fastback66

Bob,
   I sent you a PM reply. I'm also looking for a correct radiator if you have any leads on that too.

GT350DAVE

Mike,
This is Dave, the 67 Registrar and I know someone who has a correct date coded radiator for your car. I am emailing you his contact information.
Support the SAAC Registry

J_Speegle

Quote from: Fastback66 on September 01, 2021, 12:57:49 PM
Hello,
   I'm about to start putting my GT350 #2087 back together and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone could help me with. ..............

Quick easy answer is body color just like the inside of the trunk - painted at the same station

Long answer. Painter would have made sure that the wheel well lip was well coated so this only took about 10% of the spray that came out of the gun the rest went into the aire and the painted that went into the wheel well went over the sound deadener. Leaving a shadow behind it at the beginning (outside edge) the wheel lip. In this area you would have had mostly bare steel and the start of some red oxide primer sealer, splattering of the edge of the sound deadener and a quick wipe of sealant about an inch wide around the outer edge of the inner wheel well behind the lip.

As the painter painted the quarter panel the spray gun flowed as it was passed over the open wheel well applying spray onto the back side (top, front and back got paint from the process above) of the wheel well and the exposed frame rail. This created shadows from panel lips and brackets. Paint job over the sound deadener was normally pretty nice especially on the smooth (could have sound deadener in areas that matched the wheel well pattern) frame rear and Mustang rear end bumper bracket
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

rcgt350

One more addition to the tail light boxes, open or closed ends. Seems more early cars had the boxed ends but not always.

JD

Quote from: rcgt350 on September 02, 2021, 10:00:00 PM
One more addition to the tail light boxes, open or closed ends. Seems more early cars had the boxed ends but not always.

maybe the other way around, early open, late closed as they tried to seal off the exhaust fumes?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Fastback66

More questions'

What  kind of adhesive or sealant goes around the side scoops and end caps? How big a bead?

I read somewhere that is was common to swap out the headlight switch with a Cougar headlight switch because it handles the center and headlight load better. Can someone elaborate on this?

rcgt350

JD, 0024 & 0031 both have their original tail light boxes and both are closed ends?