Author Topic: New wiring loom for KR  (Read 1286 times)

Jack4159

• View Profile
New wiring loom for KR
« on: September 02, 2021, 03:19:11 PM »
Well as I lie here in the hospital 10hrs after getting my second full hip replacement and unable to sleep, my thoughts turned to my Shelby, as they do.
I'm in the middle of a resto and the car is completely stripped
The wiring throughout the car appears to be in good shape, so I was planning to clean it up and re-use it, not to save money on new wiring but to retain originality.
It occured to me it would be sensible to check here with those who have "been there and done that".
I know there is no correct answer just informed opinions on this but......
Am I being stupid retaining 50yr old wiring or is it a typical and accepted thing to do to retain originality?
The car will be driven but I am trying to be correct as best I can in the restoration.
As always, thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: New wiring loom for KR
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 03:55:04 PM »
Well as I lie here in the hospital 10hrs after getting my second full hip replacement and unable to sleep, my thoughts turned to my Shelby, as they do.
I'm in the middle of a resto and the car is completely stripped
The wiring throughout the car appears to be in good shape, so I was planning to clean it up and re-use it, not to save money on new wiring but to retain originality.
It occured to me it would be sensible to check here with those who have "been there and done that".
I know there is no correct answer just informed opinions on this but......
Am I being stupid retaining 50yr old wiring or is it a typical and accepted thing to do to retain originality?
The car will be driven but I am trying to be correct as best I can in the restoration.
As always, thanks in advance.
To make a informed decision you have to know the condition of the harness. That 50 year old wiring can last 100 years or more in the right conditions. We are not dealing with Edison era electric wiring fortunately.  ;) The interior wiring is protected and can stay like new 50 years later if unmolested. Engine compartment and headlight harness not so much. Tail light harness wiring can look perfect but the woven wrap that covers it may disintegrate in your hands. Fuel sender wire can look French Fried exposed to the conditions under the car and near a transverse muffler if so equipped. If it has been cut into ,spliced ,burned ,brittle etc. it could compromise the integrity of the wire and the harness. If minor repairs are needed do you feel comfortable making them yourself or would you need another to do it for you?  If it looks to be in good shape and unmolested after through inspection in those regards then clean it up re tape it if needed and reuse it. I have a dedicated washing machine for shop towels and dirty greasy wiring to go into for initial clean up.  I personally would rather clean up and reuse a original harness then use a repro harness but then again I am familiar with wiring and have repaired and restore more then I can remember in the past. I can generally tell a repro harness by the plug ends that are different . Slightly different but different all the same. Thank goodness for the quality repro harness that are available because some harness's can't be saved for the mentioned reasons or if you have someone else repairing on your behave the time and labor cost can very quickly exceed the price of a repro harness with the most minor of repairs. Just my opinions I know others have different which is alright.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 03:09:58 AM »
Thanks Bob,
I will be sure to check the potential problem looms you mention carefully.
The main harness appears in great shape, i never thought about it but as you say its been out of the sun so has lived a "sheltered" life.
I will clean them up, have a good look over all and if ok pop them back in.
Car will be back from the bodyshop by Chistmas and drivetrain is all done...so the fun of putting her back together starts soon.
Thanks once again for your advice, it's so helpful every time.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
Let me offer another perspective

At this point, you have spent several hundred hours and countless dollars restoring your GT500 KR

Is the type of originality gained by keeping 53 year old wiring in your car what you are looking for?

What would be the reason for keeping a 53 year old system in place after you have rebuilt everything else? Is $2,000 worth the piece of mind in knowing you wont have to tear the car apart a second time after the restoration is finished to chase some electrical gremlin?  As a percentage of your total restoration costs, I suspect that will be pretty small.

Then as mentioned, there is the issue of brittle and damaged wiring

The reproduction wiring may have some slight differences, but it is new.

...and its been used by almost every 1968 SAAC Gold car over the last 15 years.

I will admit my perspective is biased, as I sold many of those wiring harnesses

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:30:47 AM by Coralsnake »

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »
Thanks for the alternative view Pete. I've been agonising over this issue for a while now so I guess I will keep at it a bit longer.
Cheers

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 09:58:58 AM »
When the body is done, take the old wires over to it, then ask yourself the question

😀