News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Starter Relay Part Number

Started by RSOHC, September 04, 2021, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSOHC

Can anyone provide who manufactured (ford, motorcraft, autolite) the solenoid for a 1968 GT 500 and the part number?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: RSOHC on September 04, 2021, 09:48:53 PM
Can anyone provide who manufactured (ford, motorcraft, autolite) the solenoid for a 1968 GT 500 and the part number?
Autolite starts with a C7 engennering number.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

RSOHC

The number of the part is C7AF-11450-A1 Autolite.

J_Speegle

There are a number of versions of the C7AZ starter solenoid depending on when it was made.

Here are some pictures to help with the details

You should notice that the inner attaching nuts are shaped differently between the earlier versions and do not need individual washers at all four points. Have found both versions used on NJ cars built through the 68 production year. There are other additional small details compared with other versions.

They were also dated. This one happens to be one with the later hardware. This one decodes as being assembled in Aug 1967

There was also a version with the plastic bottom but have not found one of those installed on a 68 NJ built car.

Where the rivet attaches the main body to the mounting bracket typically had some visible sealant applied to make the upper joint water proof is often visibly missing. May be just around the edge of the rivet or a messier final look
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

I think the plastic bottom ones are New Jersey assembly line correct for 1968

68blk500c

Pete, that surprises me.  Am I the only one?
Don

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 09, 2021, 08:36:40 PM
I think the plastic bottom ones are New Jersey assembly line correct for 1968

Had heard that opinion but can't document the ones I have or have pictures to a specific car built there. Must have been a secondary provider since they are so rarely seen Will continue to look for examples

Don't know where the one I have came from as far as what car

For others here is an example of that version

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

From memory was REPCO the stamp on top?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 09, 2021, 10:34:30 PM
From memory was REPCO the stamp on top?

Yes - Didn't notice that in reply #3 I posted one. Square box logo with the REPCO stamped diagonally from one corner of the box to another 

The same company provided C4 versions of the relay also looking back to earlier years but don't have any of the REPCO on any of the other 5 versions prior to the C7 other than that C4 examples. C4 examples have been documented with AUTOLITE and FoMoCo markings. Not sure if these were service replacements exclusively.

Did check some other directories of pictures and found one plastic bottom example from 67 NJ and one 68 mixed in with the other metal bottom examples I have

CharlesTurner

Have seen quite a few of these as service replacements over the years, but haven't found what I thought was an original one on a car yet. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: CharlesTurner on September 09, 2021, 11:43:34 PM
Have seen quite a few of these as service replacements over the years, but haven't found what I thought was an original one on a car yet.

Just to clarify - Your referring to the plastic bottom relays correct?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 09, 2021, 11:56:44 PM
Just to clarify - Your referring to the plastic bottom relays correct?

Yessir
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge