News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Amazing story of drag racer Floyd Lippencott

Started by deathsled, September 05, 2021, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

S7MS427

Pretty amazing story.  But also very sad in the end.  Guess we all make our own prisons.  We can walk out of them if we choose to because we hold the key to the lock if we have the courage to do so.  But first we need to get out of our own way.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

98SVT - was 06GT

It must have been terrible to grow up with a father who didn't encourage you to explore and grow or worse yet planned your life for you.
My dad quit racing midgets after a friend of his was killed when he rolled their car. He was out and unhurt but got hit by another car. Such was racing pre war. But he was supportive of my wanting to race. When I was 5 he bought me a 1/4 midget (my mom was not happy but let me play with my new toy). We ran that until I got too big for it. He didn't mind my "run what ya brung" at SoCal tracks like OCIR and Irwindale (even though since I was a broke high school kid he was buying most of the parts I broke). He figured I couldn't get too hurt in a 95mph street car. After I sold my Cessna 182 he confided in me that he was always worried when I flew because so many little planes crashed. Not a word while I owned it though.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

I remember seeing the FREIGHT TRAIN stored in a little shop down the street from my house, as a kid I couldnt understand why family members do what they do. The shop owner told my dad who ran with that group, they were hiding BOBS car from his family... Now I know!

deathsled

Quote from: 427heaven on September 06, 2021, 07:19:12 PM
I remember seeing the FREIGHT TRAIN stored in a little shop down the street from my house, as a kid I couldnt understand why family members do what they do. The shop owner told my dad who ran with that group, they were hiding BOBS car from his family... Now I know!

Wow!  Super small world!  The family dynamics were tragic.  But I think it is good that he pursued what he wanted despite said dynamics and further proved he excelled at. 

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

You're welcome. The article was too good not to share.

camp upshur

Stood in The Freight Train's pit many times at Irwindale (along w The Odd Couple - it's nemesis).
Enjoyed the sights and sounds. Who'd a thought there was all this family drama?

Quite a hit job on the Dad, heck he might have had a different version?? poor guys

deathsled

The father absolutely cannot be heard to complain.  He enabled his son and set him down this path when he bought him a 1953 Corvette when his son was only sixteen years of age.  That set the chain of causation in motion toward a drag racing career.  The father enabled his son and then complains?  Where is the accountability?