Author Topic: Black 1968 GT500KR on BAT  (Read 15744 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Black 1968 GT500KR on BAT
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2021, 11:47:14 AM »
Here is another quote that I really like,
"Father, should we stone these foolish and stupid buyers and posters, exercise self flagellation here to show the world how pure of faith we all are? That we can call out the unpure, sickeningly misguided and self appointed judges amongst us?"

And the answer is YES, because it opens up others to say, "Gee one just like this car just sold on ebay for $XXX,XXX.XX, mine should be worth at least that much." (Must use doofy voice)
RARE  Signature Delete

Bigblock

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »
SOLD FOR $262,589 ON 9/13/21

A friend wants to sell his KR with a 69 CJ engine and he thinks he could get $200k for it. Maybe he will. :-\

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2021, 12:19:20 PM »
SOLD FOR $262,589 ON 9/13/21

A friend wants to sell his KR with a 69 CJ engine and he thinks he could get $200k for it. Maybe he will. :-\

And there we go!
RARE  Signature Delete

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
      B.A.T..........Bring-A-Trailer..........FULL OF MONEY!

If one watches BAT with any regularity, one would realize that for some reason the public is responding favorably to this format, and in its' bidding participation to the point of garnering quite the bids for much of that presented there.      ::)   

aka. If I wanted to sell something, at this point in time BAT is looking like an awfully good place to do it!    ;)

Scott.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 01:21:53 PM »
      B.A.T..........Bring-A-Trailer..........FULL OF MONEY!

If one watches BAT with any regularity, one would realize that for some reason the public is responding favorably to this format, and in its' bidding participation to the point of garnering quite the bids for much of that presented there.      ::)   

aka. If I wanted to sell something, at this point in time BAT is looking like an awfully good place to do it!    ;)

Scott.
If you have an incorrect so so driver quality that looks great in pics BaT is an absolute. Unless it is a classic Corvette. Those get torn to shreds.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »

Why should any of this really matter to anyone but the buyer who has the economic power, was willing, able and paid the big bucks?

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 01:26:09 PM »
My pet peeve is when cars hit a home run on BaT there are those chiming in "WELL BOUGHT!!!". I think we have some on the KR. Or at the beginning of the auction some playing up a car like its the best thing since sliced bread. I missed a lot on this KR but didn't really critique this car either to really notice the tilt stuff.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »

Why should any of this really matter to anyone but the buyer who has the economic power, was willing, able and paid the big bucks?
I'd say it doesn't matter to most of us like me who watch in amusement that someone with that type of disposable income isn't smart enough to do some due diligence on a car they are buying. I'd think most made their money(well over 50 percent of the top one percent inherited their $$) they didn't make it by not researching or educating themselves on their money investments whether it is tangible or intangible assets.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
My pet peeve is when cars hit a home run on BaT there are those chiming in "WELL BOUGHT!!!". I think we have some on the KR. Or at the beginning of the auction some playing up a car like its the best thing since sliced bread. I missed a lot on this KR but didn't really critique this car either to really notice the tilt stuff.

See that on just about every single auction and if anyone knowledgeable calls out any issues, then they are nit-picking and most will pile on with how the car is perfect just the way it is.

On the black car, there are some pretty significant details that require a closer look by an expert.  A pre-purchase inspection would have been in order.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Scott_Ales

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2021, 02:26:13 PM »
Okay ladies and gentlemen, before you start torturing me...
Please understand that my first car was a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 bought in 1977 for $3,200.  351 C, 4 spd, AC, ram air, green with black sport int.  Then a 1975 Euro Pantera in 1983 for $16k, and then a 1978 F150 short box 4x4 for 1984.  So I'm a Ford guy all the way. 

I spent over 3 months preparing for this BaT offering.  I contacted two people in your direct community to fully understand what this car was.  Even paid one to come look at the car.  I won't name them, they know who they are.  One actually told me they knew the history but never got back to me what they knew.  I finally gave up.  Did the best I could with what I could find alone. 

I stated early in the commentary this was an OVER restored car.  You folks use the term "Concours" where I believe you would be better served saying "Judged".  The level of finishes on this car are absolutely WAY past factory.  I have a close friend from Iowa who has an original 1969 Mustang Mach 1 his father bought new.  I know what they should look like. 

The bizarre reality in reading this thread is the complete disregard for resto-mod Shelby cars that bring $300k and more.  Do you see that originality desire is an experience for some not all?  If you want a documented original car, then buy it.  If you want a different ownership experience and find those buying opportunities are fewer, you have to pay more.  I'm certain we all agree different people desire different things and experiences.  The person that bought this car had a black/black KR on his bucket list for a very long time.  Are you really going to disparage his acquisition because it doesn't fit your desires?  Just because he isn't interested in judging?

Why don't you folks spend some energy offering an objective vetting process for those like myself who would be happy to pay for it before offering a car?  Instead of armchair complaining how the rest of the world is wrong.  Or worse, accusing me of shill bidding.  My passionate car wife of 40 years and I found that incredibly offensive and distasteful.   Especially coming from Ford people.  We've been nothing but champions for the brand these past 40+ years.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
My question about the absence of the tilt-away items was a pretty important item which kind of got brushed aside and referred back to a previous conversation in the auction discussion.  I tried not to be too critical as to not affect the outcome of the auction.  At the end of the day, if the buyer is happy then that's all that matters, but down the road when it comes time to sell again, there might be a significant difference in the results.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
Here is why I think it matters...the Shelby American Automobile Club has stated its goal is to protect the integrity of the marque.

This car has apparently attracted attention because several people have felt that integrity has been compromised to some extent. You may agree or disagree.

The integrity of a car does matter and it should effect the price.

As stated before that is between a buyer and seller, but final prices influence all of us.

We can argue about details, but when you have reproduction and incorrect parts and a car sells for 2x retail, I think it's understandable there is discussion. I also find it interesting many of the same people who complain about the forum not sharing information, complain about people pointing out discrepancies.

The car maybe "over restored" but only someone uninformed would call it concours.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:28:16 PM by Coralsnake »

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
Very well stated Scott and congratulations on the sale!

"Why don't you folks spend some energy offering an objective vetting process for those like myself who would be happy to pay for it before offering a car?  Instead of armchair complaining how the rest of the world is wrong.  Or worse, accusing me of shill bidding.  My passionate car wife of 40 years and I found that incredibly offensive and distasteful.   Especially coming from Ford people.  We've been nothing but champions for the brand these past 40+ years"

Okay ladies and gentlemen, before you start torturing me...
Please understand that my first car was a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 bought in 1977 for $3,200.  351 C, 4 spd, AC, ram air, green with black sport int.  Then a 1975 Euro Pantera in 1983 for $16k, and then a 1978 F150 short box 4x4 for 1984.  So I'm a Ford guy all the way. 

I spent over 3 months preparing for this BaT offering.  I contacted two people in your direct community to fully understand what this car was.  Even paid one to come look at the car.  I won't name them, they know who they are.  One actually told me they knew the history but never got back to me what they knew.  I finally gave up.  Did the best I could with what I could find alone. 

I stated early in the commentary this was an OVER restored car.  You folks use the term "Concours" where I believe you would be better served saying "Judged".  The level of finishes on this car are absolutely WAY past factory.  I have a close friend from Iowa who has an original 1969 Mustang Mach 1 his father bought new.  I know what they should look like. 

The bizarre reality in reading this thread is the complete disregard for resto-mod Shelby cars that bring $300k and more.  Do you see that originality desire is an experience for some not all?  If you want a documented original car, then buy it.  If you want a different ownership experience and find those buying opportunities are fewer, you have to pay more.  I'm certain we all agree different people desire different things and experiences.  The person that bought this car had a black/black KR on his bucket list for a very long time.  Are you really going to disparage his acquisition because it doesn't fit your desires?  Just because he isn't interested in judging?

Why don't you folks spend some energy offering an objective vetting process for those like myself who would be happy to pay for it before offering a car?  Instead of armchair complaining how the rest of the world is wrong.  Or worse, accusing me of shill bidding.  My passionate car wife of 40 years and I found that incredibly offensive and distasteful.   Especially coming from Ford people.  We've been nothing but champions for the brand these past 40+ years.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:29:26 PM by stephen_becker »

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
As stated above the car went for 2X retail......something is up. Plain and simple and I do not care if that hurts feelings,  I would not consider any car "over restored" if it is not right in places as mentioned, yet because the paint is better than it was from the factory it is called over restored...Then my Boss is over restored also? Yet it has repro floor pan, torque boxes, rear frame rails, front frame rails, wheel houses, etc.....will bring more than it is worth? where do I go??? Let see a Boss today is lucky to retrieve 70K, where do I go for my 140K?
RARE  Signature Delete

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »
Unless it is a classic Corvette. Those get torn to shreds.

Yeah, I was the high bidder recently on one I liked (easy with the stone throwing!   ::)  )  but it didn't meet the sellers' reserve; and apparently by a significant distance as he didn't bother to contact me post the auction to see if a deal could be accomplished.     :(

I think the Vette's are more of a commodity item in the market place as compared to the say Shelby's which seem to suffer from greater swing numbers in transactions.

And, to clarify my position on this Shelby sale:  There is good to be had from an accurate discussion of what something is, particularly in the light of attempting educate the interested but less informed on the particular subject; but also to a great degree many of these old car subjects are solely whim participation events (aka. a hobby!), and here, if the seller is satisfied, and the buyer is happy, it was a good transaction.     :)

Scott.