Author Topic: Sources for replacement radiators -'68 KR - Factory Air / 4 Spd  (Read 1301 times)

chipchambliss

• View Profile
Sources for replacement radiators -'68 KR - Factory Air / 4 Spd
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
Hello - does anyone have a source/website they'd recommend for a replacement radiator for a '68 KR - Factory Air / 4 Spd?

Thanks!

Chip Chambliss

JWH

• View Profile
Re: Sources for replacement radiators -'68 KR - Factory Air / 4 Spd
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 12:28:36 PM »
I needed a new radiator for our '66. Trying to find a serviceable radiator with the right part numbers and dates and the G2 designation for a 4 speed car is REALLY hard. I ended up going with a brand new aluminum radiator from Virginia Mustang while I search for a correct one knowing it may take months/years. I ordered the MaxCore radiator and it fits perfectly. If you do order a new radiator, ask about fitment of the fan shroud and also if you need to make an adjustment on a longer/shorter fan spacer based on the thickness of the radiator. Also, you will want to order Eastwood paint made especially for radiators. Ecklers is the best (only) source I could find for this paint right now.
        In doing a lot of reading, the aluminum radiators are counter-intuitive in that a 2-row is better cooling than a 3-row because the tubes inside are so much larger. Here is a quote from the Virginia Mustang website description:

MAXCORE 1.25" Tubes -  Innovative 2 Row Performance MAXCORE performance. If you say, "only 2 rows", you need to think again! The MAXCORE design utilizes huge 1.25" tubes for perfect flow and amazing cooling.

Here is a link to the '68 Big Block MaxCore radiator should you care to check into it:
https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-70-390-428-and-70-302-351C-Mustang-Aluminum-Radiator-Original-Equipment-Style-Bracket-Mount-2-Row-Performance-P482387.aspx

Ideally though, someone may have a perfect OEM radiator you could use.
Jeff

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
Chip

You will want to save your original tanks and brackets. They are dated and have numbers specific to your car

Radiators can be recored

If you are set on a replacement, the ACP radiators look similar to OEM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371234654451?fits=Year%3A1968%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item566f4f48f3:g:zzMAAOSwOjtfj3Vb

chipchambliss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 01:01:42 PM »
Perfect - thanks guys - appreciate it!

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 12:50:15 PM »
As mentioned, replacing the core while preserving tanks is a preference.  These premium, American made cores are my solution.  Use them on all my classic cars. 
https://maineradiator.com/antique-classic-muscle-car-cores/