News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Joe Mannix returns

Started by 68countrysedan, September 13, 2021, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propayne

There also is a Rader/Shelby connection.

The "Wire Wheel Look" Raders were originally specked for XR7-G Cougars but were recalled due to quality issues.

Seems like Trans-American Products Ltd./Wheel Corp of America had some serious manufacturing problems.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Side-Oilers

^^Wow.  Seriously crappy wheels. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Manufacturers place cars they want to sell in the movies. Dodge was probably trying to gin up the free ad time for the dart.
Ford has a whole pool of train wreck and flood damage cars they loan out for film/TV production. They really don't care about them getting torn up since they are destined for the crusher anyway.
I've got a friend who was working at Pontiacs ad agency when Knight Rider was starting. They called about getting Firebirds and he was sent with specific instructions of no free cars. He came back and explained that he given them up to 8 (hero and 2 stunt cars to be replaces when damaged too much to continue) because the car was the show. He ended up a hero because Pontiac couldn't keep them on the lot.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

honker

Quote from: propayne on September 14, 2021, 08:23:01 PM
There also is a Rader/Shelby connection.

The "Wire Wheel Look" Raders were originally specked for XR7-G Cougars but were recalled due to quality issues.

Seems like Trans-American Products Ltd./Wheel Corp of America had some serious manufacturing problems.

- Phillip

Getting off topic here !

Phillip, are these the wheels in the letter ? did any get on production Gurney Cougars and out in the field ? I personally have never

seen a Gurney Cougar with them, or on the net, only the image I have included, which I believe is the prototype ?

Were they used by any other manufacturer or offered after market.

Mike 

propayne

I'll PM you Mike so this thread doesn't go off track.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America