Author Topic: Options for reproduction brake rotors  (Read 2208 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Options for reproduction brake rotors
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:17:21 PM »
Where can I source the most accurate brake rotors?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Options for reproduction brake rotors
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
Where can I source the most accurate brake rotors?
That can be seen as a pretty general question because there are numerous answers which each can be elaborated on. The most accurate assemblyline type rotor will have to come from the junk yard or parted out car. Assemblyline type are different then service replacements however the difference is not seen once mounted.  There are still NOS service replacement rotors still out there too. NPD sells a good replacement rotor hat that you press onto your reused original rotor hub.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »
Thanks Bob and you provided perfect direction with your response

My originals are worn down on the backside of both.  I'll most likely purchase the hats from NPD and make the hub swap.  I've never done this before so are there any tricks or potential problem to be aware of?  How should I finish the hats for proper appearence DIVII?

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 11:32:04 PM »
Whatever you do NEVER discard the original KH hubs, always press new rotors on them.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 11:41:27 PM »

My originals are worn down on the backside of both.  I'll most likely purchase the hats from NPD and make the hub swap.  I've never done this before so are there any tricks or potential problem to be aware of?  How should I finish the hats for proper appearence DIVII?
I think the NPD ones come painted black . I am not sure if it is powder coated or not . Regardless of if you strip the paint off or leave it on and paint over it I would get some stainless steel wheel paint and detail the outside edge , in-between the fins and center of the hat before pressing them on. You will have to slightly turn the rotors to true them up after pressing on the hub and studs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:23:06 AM »
Really appreciate all of the advice.  I have a few sets of original 67 assemblies, aren't they the same as 66?  If so I'll check condition and possibly use

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 08:17:53 AM »

I think the NPD ones come painted black . I am not sure if it is powder coated or not . Regardless of if you strip the paint off or leave it on and paint over it I would get some stainless steel wheel paint and detail the outside edge , in-between the fins and center of the hat before pressing them on. You will have to slightly turn the rotors to true them up after pressing on the hub and studs.

I don't know of anyone who can do that. All I know of remove the hub first to put the rotor on the brake lathe.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 09:35:10 AM »
Really appreciate all of the advice.  I have a few sets of original 67 assemblies, aren't they the same as 66?  If so I'll check condition and possibly use
Yes 65-67 are the same.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 09:47:41 AM »

I don't know of anyone who can do that. All I know of remove the hub first to put the rotor on the brake lathe.
I am not sure what you are referring to? This wouldn't be the first time. ;)  ;D I will cover the procedure and reason again hopefully to clarify. After you press the rotor and hub together you put them on the turning lathe just like you would when turning a rotor as part of a brake pad replacement. Most of the larger auto parts chain stores offer that service. When you press the two together it doesn't take much for the resulting surface not to be perfectly flat . That is the reason to true the surface to be on the safe side.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »
Bob

You referenced Stainless Steel paint for the hat.  I assume this is the paint color?  For the hub how should the final finish look? 

Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 04:15:37 PM »
Bob

You referenced Stainless Steel paint for the hat.  I assume this is the paint color?  For the hub how should the final finish look? 

Thanks
Stainless steel paint (many mfg) typically gives a better look then cast blast (cast iron) paint to replicate machined surfaces. The best way is to machine it .The paint is just one of many detailing alternatives. I included a picture of a NOS Ford service rotor. Copy that look and how ever you get there is up to your choices.

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »
Okay thanks