News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

A no no on Seattle craigslist

Started by tomhawk, September 21, 2021, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomhawk

Posted on Seattle craigslist a 66 Hertz car showing letter confirming Ford serial no. From Howard. Should be private info?

Bill

Quote from: tomhawk on September 21, 2021, 01:01:13 PM
Posted on Seattle craigslist a 66 Hertz car showing letter confirming Ford serial no. From Howard. Should be private info?

Sent them an email 20+ days ago recommending the removal of the Ford serial number, strictly as a friendly FYI, pointed them here. I see they now reposted a duplicate 11 days ago  ::) Oh well, I tried.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

GT350DAVE

You have to be crazy sharing your Ford Vin. There is no upside to it. Sharing or posting your Marti Report is just as bad. If you share a Marti report remove your Ford Vin. from the 4 locations it appears on the form.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

67 GT350

Would you please explain why this is a bad idea? Just wondering. I would like to have concrete reasons for this. In case I was ever to sell my car, I would want to explain this to a potential buyer asking for that info.
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

In short it aids those who create fakes to sell as real. ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

If you have both numbers (Ford and Shelby)you can potentially build a very convincing fake...That is why the registrars will not "give " you both numbers even if they have them on file.Rather it is up to you,the car owner(or potential buyer)to submit both numbers to the registrar and they will confirm(or deny) a match.Way better (security wise)this way.Keep in mind that serial numbers are not the end all.Provenance is also VERY important.This is why we have our excellent registries.

honker

Related to this car and others, did Carroll Shelby sign every glove box door  ??? seems pretty common, how many are genuine ?

I have a friend who had a '66 clone/tribute (don't know what you would call it ?)  that came out of California, and it was signed.

Mike

430dragpack

Since the VIN police are out, the lime green '67 GT 500 owned by a King that is for sale has its Ford VIN posted on BAT.  Someone missed one when trying to black them out.

67 GT350

So you DO NOT want anyone to know both numbers?? Just what people can see. I remember over the years people would take pictures of tags. Would it be best to cover the numbers up with blue tape? In NY the vin is on the registration sticker.
RARE  Signature Delete

pchmotoho

Nothing wrong with posting the Shelby number. 

Wedgeman

Shelby vins are clearly visible,no problem there.Ford vin is the big no no...

C6ZZGT

So a 67 also has a FORD VIN ? I never knew that in my 40 yrs of following along.
6R07A143871,since 10/83
selling parts since 1981.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: C6ZZGT on November 02, 2021, 12:51:30 AM
So a 67 also has a FORD VIN ? I never knew that in my 40 yrs of following along.
The Shelby number is stamped on the tag and also visible in the passenger side apron just like in 65 and 66. The Ford VINs are stamped further back hidden under the fenders . Of course the driver side Ford VIN could be seen in the fender cut out made for that purpose if not for the Shelby tag riveted on top of it.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Creating a fake from random VINs would be a crapshoot. First you would need to know of a GT350 that was destroyed.  Next you would have to guess a Ford VIN number that was shipped to SA and finally the tricky part is knowing the Ford VIN you guessed is the one in the ledger that matches the car that was under the tag that rolled off the SA assembly line. Don't forget SA didn't build the cars in any order - cars were stuck in the lot in random order and then no protocol was used when they were pulled for completion. Now if you want to throw in 66 & 67 you need to also account for the randomness of color. OK math wizes what are the odds even if you had 100 Ford VINs?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless