News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 gt350

Started by Farmerjohn, September 29, 2021, 08:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

I have only seen evidence for the small letter tires used to the end of 67 production . Not to say it couldn't happen but I haven't seen the evidence. I have seen evidence for small letter tire usage continuing on from the start of 1968 production before changing to the large letter. That is the only time I am aware of the change back to the large letter. I have seen other things that changed my perception so I will be interested to see evidence to support a change back to the large letter in latter 67 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

honker

Just for interest, here's a pic I took of a '67 GT350/500 ? at Sud Automobile in Longueil, Quebec, in July '67. I don't know how long

that car had been there ? in reference to the discussion here re: lettering on the tires, Sorry for the quality, I was just a 16 year

old kid with what amounted to a Kodak box Brownie   ;)

Mike

ps: you know, I've looked at that photo hundreds of times, and only now noticed the car has stripes  ::)

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 30, 2021, 07:38:41 PM
I have only seen evidence for the small letter tires used to the end of 67 production . Not to say it couldn't happen but I haven't seen the evidence. I have seen evidence for small letter tire usage continuing on from the start of 1968 production before changing to the large letter. That is the only time I am aware of the change back to the large letter. I have seen other things that changed my perception so I will be interested to see evidence to support a change back to the large letter in latter 67 production.

Thanks for adding your thoughts Bob.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

Quote from: honker on September 30, 2021, 08:12:31 PM
Just for interest, here's a pic I took of a '67 GT350/500 ? at Sud Automobile in Longueil, Quebec, in July '67. I don't know how long

that car had been there ? in reference to the discussion here re: lettering on the tires, Sorry for the quality, I was just a 16 year

old kid with what amounted to a Kodak box Brownie   ;)

Mike

ps: you know, I've looked at that photo hundreds of times, and only now noticed the car has stripes  ::)

All these years later and you just noticed the stripes. WOW. I guess the low angle photo hid them well.

Looking at all the new '67 Shelby's sold through SUD (45 total) only 33 were GT500s.
8 of those appear to have come with 10-spoke wheels.
I've saved about 8 B&W photos you posted from SUD. It was nice to see them all.

Richstang

Mike,
of the 8 GT500s sold at SUD with ten spokes, only one was a medium paint color.

4 were Dark Moss Green, 1 Brittany, 1 Lime, and 1 White...
leaving only the 1 medium color of #2398 in Acapulco Blue, if that was a new car.

#2398 was shipped to SUD on July 6th 1967.

JD

Rich, that is what was meant by placing quotation marks around backward, they reverted to doing what was done previously.

The '6A' (smooth) trim material was a replacement for a SHORTAGE at Ford. I've been tracking that for a while. The material shortage occurred on certain days and was limited to a few of the last Shelby DSO groups. As supplies were replenished, Ford went back to the '5A' trim as Shelby ordered in those DSO groups. That was definitely NOT an intentional backward step.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

JD,

I hope you don't think I'm trying to give you grief. You are one of the most trusted people of the '67 Shelby community. I always value what you share with us. It is always hard to follow writing (or posting on the forum) and sometimes there are misunderstandings of that communication which appears to be what happened here.

My post, was just trying to point out that the '6A' smooth trim was never intentional. In fact, I believe even the early cars with '6A' trim were just built to keep the Ford SJ production line moving when the '5A' knitted/comfort-weave material was not yet available per the Shelby orders.

We have a topic on this subject with many details on the SRG google site.
https://groups.google.com/g/shelbyresearch/c/JFbDbkNv4vA

I'm wondering where you heard about the Goodyear tire lettering size changing late in production for 1967?
That is the original point of this thread and it should be returned back to that subject.
Can you share any thoughts on this question now that Bob has posted his current thoughts?

Anyone else have something to add about this?

JD

My apologies to all, I miss-spoke and got the sequence backwards, the small was carried-over into the '68's and then they went back to the large letter.

Bad dog back in my cage ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

Quote from: JD on October 01, 2021, 01:10:47 PM
My apologies to all, I miss-spoke and got the sequence backwards, the small was carried-over into the '68's and then they went back to the large letter.

Bad dog back in my cage ;-)

Thanks for the update JD, I appreciate your honesty.