News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra Oval Air Cleaner Help Please

Started by brandosaac, September 29, 2021, 12:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2022, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 29, 2022, 10:39:59 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2022, 08:51:50 AM
Quote from: 430dragpack on November 29, 2022, 08:00:21 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2022, 07:04:47 AM
Quote from: TA Coupe on September 30, 2021, 04:15:41 PM
More pictures

Is the spider web patterned base an original or someone's reproduction?

If you are talking about the dual 4v, aluminum base, with the Shelby part number, in Roy's post #17, it is the die cast base that started getting used in later '67 production.  Others will have approximate car numbers.

Yes but the picture doesn't show the S7MS and is showing a rubber grommet. I generally refrain from saying one is original and another a repro simply since it isn't scientifically proven that there aren't a couple more "original" variations regardless of knowledgeable opinions out there.
The picture in post #17 does have the S7MS engineering number in the middle and seen if you blow up the picture. It is however a service variation or owner modified. I have not seen any evidence in many decades of observation of survivor cars with a base without the elbow being used on a 67 GT500 from the factory.
So in your observation you have not seen the spiderweb base that is without the S7MS cast into it?
That is not a very common base plate to begin with. Can't have originally been on many cars and all late ones as well.

I'm not arguing here. Just asking for opinions based apparently on observations? I don't see or have seen any documentation on base plates, just these discussion here which some will turn around and claim is docmentation.

Thinking back on the last 50 years, documentation based on observations has not been the most reliable. ;)
I have not seen or heard of a duel four die cast base (one with strength gussets ) that you refer to as spider web that was assemblyline original that did not have a S7MS engineering number. There are assemblyine plain bottom sand cast bases that do not have engineering numbers . They have different genuine looking tells.  The base in the picture you referenced has the S7MS number so I am not sure where you are going with this.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

You answered the question. Thank you for sharing your experience with it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!