Author Topic: Trap Door Bumpers  (Read 1503 times)

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Trap Door Bumpers
« on: October 02, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »
Are these the correct trap door bumpers for 1966, or are they for 1967 and up?  I have seen them advertised as 1966 bumpers.

Thanks.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Door Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:04:48 PM »
The trap door bumpers were usually shorter than that and had a flat back... at least in '65 they did.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:31:27 PM »
Thanks Charles,

That description got me looking and I found these in a bag with my old trunk bumpers.   Are these what you are talking about?

Thanks,

Greek

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:18:30 PM »
Agree that the visible, from the trunk, ends were flat and had two opposing side that were basically straight or flat. There was a running change between an earlier and later version in 65 but these are not present on anything related here except for the carry overs which would have had the later version that carried over to regular 66 production. For the Mustang guys we can't pen down when the changed was exactly made since we don't know when unrestored examples were truly built but Ford states in the first part of March 65

67's also had a running change during their production (big surprise  ::) and the visible ends on those were the round nipple style were are so familiar with and were often installed on the early cars during refreshing or restorations over the years

Not sure if they ever serviced the flat end versions for very long

A few shots of that visible, from the trunk side, view. Didn't note but the sampling is from both 66 and 65 and likely represent both the early 65 version and the later. The version lacking the markings is what I've found on 66's typically

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:21:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Jeff.