News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Now waxing the Boss 302 Laguna

Started by deathsled, October 06, 2021, 10:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

67 GT350

Love the LS Boss, someday I will have one!!
With that said, I actually looked for the "Drying off" portion. People have different beliefs on the best way....Toweling off or blowing off? If blowing off, is using special specific dryer or a leaf blower the best?
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on October 06, 2021, 12:59:25 PM
Love the LS Boss, someday I will have one!!
With that said, I actually looked for the "Drying off" portion. People have different beliefs on the best way....Toweling off or blowing off? If blowing off, is using special specific dryer or a leaf blower the best?

"Drying off" a black car even has it's own streaking pitfalls.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

I used a microfiber towel and placed it over the body section by section letting the water absorb with little rubbing.  Wrung the cloth and repeated.  A leaf blower may generate hot air.  I would be cautious about using a leaf blower.  A sanctioned blower designed specifically for drying the paint would be the best in my opinion.  There is no rubbing contact and water in hidden crevices gets blown out.  I do not have one yet but it is on my list of things to acquire.  My next video if/when I have time will be an oil change.  That Roadrunner engine takes 8.5 quarts!  That and an FL 500S oil filter.  It is about $100 to do a change yourself.  Likely twice that at a dealer.  The cost is in the volume of the oil and the type which is synthetic 5W50 which is not readily available everywhere unless you go online.

FL SAAC

Simply the best Makita hand held blower, light and powerful

Once most of the water is off, then hand dry

Batteries last forever
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

CSX 4133

Leaf blowers are excellent for drying your car, leaving no residual water in the crevices and the best part the cars paint isn't touched in the process. I've been using one for better than twelve years and would never go back to drying with a towel.
Even careful use of a towel, Shammy or the worst a waiter blade will cause micro marring or scratches. I only use MF cloths now for buffing off waxes, sealants and for cleaning glass and interior surfaces.

deathsled, I have a suggestion for you. Rather than applying a heavy initial coat of wax, try a lighter coat. But before you put it on your applicator lightly mist your applicator with a Quickdetailer. This will help emulsify the wax and aid in spreading a thin light coat of wax evenly over the paint, which will then easily come off with light buffing. A very good resource for detailing a car is Larry Kosilla's AMMO NYC,
http://ammonyc.com, his video how to's are very informative.

deathsled

Quote from: CSX 4133 on October 06, 2021, 04:53:15 PM
Leaf blowers are excellent for drying your car, leaving no residual water in the crevices and the best part the cars paint isn't touched in the process. I've been using one for better than twelve years and would never go back to drying with a towel.
Even careful use of a towel, Shammy or the worst a waiter blade will cause micro marring or scratches. I only use MF cloths now for buffing off waxes, sealants and for cleaning glass and interior surfaces.

deathsled, I have a suggestion for you. Rather than applying a heavy initial coat of wax, try a lighter coat. But before you put it on your applicator lightly mist your applicator with a Quickdetailer. This will help emulsify the wax and aid in spreading a thin light coat of wax evenly over the paint, which will then easily come off with light buffing. A very good resource for detailing a car is Larry Kosilla's AMMO NYC,
http://ammonyc.com, his video how to's are very informative.

Thank you very much for the insights.  I will implement them.  An air blower definitely seems the way to go.  aka leaf blower.