Author Topic: Anyone ever sit in their Shelby (or other prized car) alone in the garage?  (Read 2609 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I was sitting in the silence of my garage last night, alone, in the driver's seat of my Shelby, engine off and hand resting on the steering wheel.  No phone, no internet, no social media therefore, and just let my mind wander.  It was very therapeutic.  I did get a little depressed when I picked up one of my short hook restored Ray Browns and looked at it then thought about Jim Cowles.  I never met the man but he was very earnest and civil to me in every conversation and transaction I conducted with him by phone.  He did great work on the belts and also my Cobra intake manifold.  Also an original chromed air cleaner lid.  And so on down the line.  Sad he's gone.  But as I said, sitting alone in one's car (for me at least) without the stress of driving and navigating around maniacs on the open road, but rather in the silence of your garage, engine off (hopefully off if all of your garage doors are closed as mine were) in the late evening listening to the eerie hum of the overhead fluorescent lights, gets one to thinking about one's past, the early years as a youth and then the present and then the future.  It is a very interesting experience and somewhat cathartic to review one's life while sitting in your cherished ride.  I started doing this from time to time and rather enjoy it.  A form of meditation so to speak.  Okay, that's all I have.

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:20:14 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

trotrof1

• View Profile
You could place a widescreen TV in front and simulate a drive in theatre. Suggested films... Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same and maybe a Mel Brooks creation.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
You could place a widescreen TV in front and simulate a drive in theatre. Suggested films... Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same and maybe a Mel Brooks creation.
Fry's Electronics in Burbank had a whole 50s aliens invading theme going on. Here is a link to the images. Their Atomic Cafe had a big screen and some cars converted to booths for the drive in experience. https://www.google.com/search?q=fry%27s+electronics+burbank&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSjsPstsvzAhUiDjQIHYFjCo0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25#imgrc=6DlPJVyjmMxicM&imgdii=6BO6Qtj2GtSRcM
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
By myself?
No. Far too busy.

The wife requests my presence in the car periodically however.

67 GT350

• View Profile
Personally I think sitting in the car in silence is the best. I will sometimes have a chair behind the cars so I can relax, maybe sometimes have some talk radio on, it makes me think is that all we will be able to do soon?
Surreal.....
1. Having qualities attributed to or associated with surrealism: "Even with most facilities shut down ... a few mavericks managed to slip into the park to sample the almost surreal emptiness before the shutdown ended." (Peter H. King).
2. Having an oddly dreamlike quality.
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Public Safety Announcement:

Please make sure the car is off, cars, trucks, or other engines are left running in enclosed spaces, such as garages. Carbon monoxide can build up in a garage and leak back into the house. Even sitting in an idling car in an open garage can be dangerous.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
As "Bob from Shelby-American" listening to Cosby sitting at the wheel of the Cobra making engine sounds said, "why don't you start it up?"  ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:54:44 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Death wish...

As "Bob from Shelby-American" listening to Cosby sitting at the wheel of the Cobra making engine sounds said, "why don't you start it up?"  ::)

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
If you lie on your back in the fold down area the view through the back glass in a 67 can be quite pleasant……so…yes. ;D

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever sit in their Shelby (or other prized car) alone in the garage?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »
This is the last picture of a person that  you described

If you lie on your back in the fold down area the view through the back glass in a 67 can be quite pleasant……so…yes. ;D

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 11:44:54 AM »
Lying under the car (that is properly raised up and secure) can be very relaxing, unless you are looking at carpet instead of steel. (that's a joke).
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ12fKVuHsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MGYLqMe0E
Spot on!  The Beach Boys were great vocalists.  But how times change.  From them dressed in shirts and ties to Kurt Cobain dressed in ripped clothes and smashing his guitar on stage (though he learned that from Pete Townshend of The Who.)  Grunge is every bit as good though.  I like music from 200 years ago or 20 years ago.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ12fKVuHsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MGYLqMe0E
Spot on!  The Beach Boys were great vocalists.  But how times change.  From them dressed in shirts and ties to Kurt Cobain dressed in ripped clothes and smashing his guitar on stage (though he learned that from Pete Townshend of The Who.)  Grunge is every bit as good though.  I like music from 200 years ago or 20 years ago.

Hey! The Minuet IS HOT!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »
Done that numerous times during the restoration of 6S2187 and after completion. Sometimes,  I will fire it up in the warehouse for a bit if I cannot take it out.  Back warehouse roll up door is open and 24 inch floor fans to move the air.  Sound resonance is awsesome and may cause nearby workers to check out the source.  8)