Author Topic: Shelby Guru Question Individual Throttle Bodies on GT350's  (Read 3507 times)

Benny

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Guru Question Individual Throttle Bodies on GT350's
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 05:36:20 AM »
Hi Dan, would it be fair to say, no 65 or 66 Shelby GT350 was raced in the SCCA in the USA with webers? However a mustang coupe with webers was raced in Canada through Comstock racing?
It would be fair to say no 65/66 GT350 raced in SCCA in the USA back in the day with webers. They were illegal to run in that sanctioning US bodies venue. Canadian venues allowed them and historical documentation indicates that the Comstock team car used them . Most likely other privateer cars used them in racing the Canadian venues also.

Gotcha & thanks Bob, cheers from Australia.
6S1507

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 06:49:13 AM »
When I saw the x-Bob Johnson 289 Cobra in '82. Ken Eber owned it and it had the IDM's on it.

Ken would say that it was the first Cobra to win a race. I never checked to see if historically it was raced with them or not?

Back then I can't think of anyone who was delineating between IDM's and IDA's. People would just say "Webers".

Most of us were just novices with them.

When I first saw William Wonder's GT40, #103 in '75, it had Gurney Eagle heads with Webers on it. Now I wonder which ones?

It always seemed that there was a secret security guard around these cars that were going to hit you with a stun gun if you even just asked a question so one had to tread lightly.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 07:08:25 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 12:04:40 PM »
shelbydoug, your quote " It always seemed that there was a secret security guard around these cars that were going to hit you with

a stun gun if you ever just asked a question so one had to tread lightly"

here's my photo of Wonder's GT/103 at Mosport, Canada, 1966. Is that the secret security guard sitting in front of the

car with a beer in his hand   ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 12:56:27 PM »
I  don't know, he's secret.

I was only around Wonder once. He wasn't an issue. Norwalk '75 or '76. The car was dark blue then.

As a matter of fact, the GT40 people have always been pretty good and laid back. Not like the Cobra folks who circle the wagons to protect them from the "Indians". I think that was Watkins too? I got cut off at the pass!

I remember Watkins Glen in '91 or '92. We were walking through the pits and "the" three Mk II's were there. My 4 year old had to touch the black one. Like a physical exam from a Navy doctor.

I asked him not to and he said, "that's ok Dad. If I break it, Grandma will buy it". Now watching this entire scenario was George Stauffer that cane over to me and said, "Don't worry about it 'Dad', it's a race car" and winked.

Now the one Brit with the "Gulf" was entirely different.

Everyone in racing isn't like Nicki Lauda. Many are great personable folks who enjoy the crowds and every car isn't as cosmetically fragile as a Cobra.

I remember one convention where a nice fresh red 427 had a nice big hand mark on it from being unattended and a "photogrpher" leaned on the car to take a picture of the cockpit. So I do understand the paranoia to a degree.

It could be me. I have to stop carrying around Green Peace activist signs and put down the 5 pound sledge hammer?

Maybe that's why Eber blocked me at one convention from going near Shelby saying, "I forbid you to go near him"? Yikes. Carroll wasn't so afraid riding up the elevator at the hotel with us though? Then again he was more interested in talking to my wife, but that's another story. ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 01:06:36 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »

I was only around Wonder once. He wasn't an issue. Norwalk '75 or '76. The car was dark blue then.

As a matter of fact, the GT40 people have always been pretty good and laid back. Not like the Cobra folks who circle the wagons to protect them from the "Indians". I think that was Watkins too? I got cut off at the pass!

I remember Watkins Glen in '91 or '92. We were walking through the pits and "the" three Mk II's were there. My 4 year old had to touch the black one. Like a physical exam from a Navy doctor.

I asked him not to and he said, "that's ok Dad. If I break it, Grandma will buy it". Now watching this entire scenario was George Stauffer that cane over to me and said, "Don't worry about it 'Dad', it's a race car" and winked.

Everyone in racing isn't like Nicki Lauda. Many are great personable folks who enjoy the crowds and every car isn't as cosmetically fragile as a Cobra.

I remember one convention where a nice fresh red 427 had a nice big hand mark on it from being unattended and a "photogrpher" leaned on the car to take a picture of the cockpit. So I do understand the paranoia to a degree.

It could be me. I have to stop carrying around Green Peace activist signs and put down the 5 pound sledge hammer?

Maybe that's why Eber blocked me at one convention from going near Shelby saying, "I forbid you to go near him"? Yikes. Carroll wasn't so afraid riding up the elevator at the hotel with us though? Then again he was more interested in talking to my wife, but that's another story. ;)
SAAC 18 1993 Watkins Glen 3 Mark II's were there.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »

SAAC 18 1993 Watkins Glen 3 Mark II's were there.

Yes. Those were the three that finished 1-2-3 at Lemans with Miles leading and Mclaren declared the winner.

I was told that was the first time they were together since the event but the colors were changed.

Stauffer was with the black one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:03:10 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!