Author Topic: Bright metal trim around brake and gas pedal  (Read 2289 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Bright metal trim around brake and gas pedal
« on: October 15, 2021, 07:37:14 PM »
Hi all,

I have been seeing several Hertz models with the metal trim around the brake and gas pedal.  Is this typical of the GT350H?  I thought this was a deluxe only interior feature.  I thought all GT350's were absent this trim, part of the standard interior.  I expect an owner may have added.  Which is assembly line correct for the rental car, pedal trim on absent?

Thanks

Cory

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bright metal trim around brake and gas pedal
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 07:44:40 PM »
I don't believe it to be original.  Others more experienced will correct me if I am mistaken.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »
For all cars other than 6S001 al the pedals lacked the stainless trim since that was part of the deluxe interior package. Allot of owners and builders added them over the years for the bling factor and or owners wanting them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:08:50 PM »
For all cars other than 6S001 al the pedals lacked the stainless trim since that was part of the deluxe interior package. Allot of owners and builders added them over the years for the bling factor and or owners wanting them

Hi Jeff and Deathsled,

I thought so, but wanted confirmation.  Thanks

Cory

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12:54 PM »

+1 , I did on all the '66s I've owned. They keep the pads on LOL My clutch pedal pad on 6S240 was always falling off until I added the stainless surround.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:01 PM »
Remember, you lose horsepower with the metal trim!!!  ;D

Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:49 PM »
Remember, you lose horsepower with the metal trim!!!  ;D

Steve
I suppose you could put lightening holes in to help compensate  ;) :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 01:45:32 PM »
Whenever I see Bob Gaines's name appear on a thread, a small twinge of terror always surfaces within me in the wake of any opinion I give on a Shelby detail.  Same phenomenon when I see the name J Speegle. And as of late, same experience when I see 98SVT - was 06GT.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 01:50:53 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »
Whenever I see Bob Gaines's name appear on a thread, a small twinge of terror always surfaces within me in the wake of any opinion I give on a Shelby detail.  Same phenomenon when I see the name J Speegle. And as of late, same experience when I see 98SVT - was 06GT.
In this case all in fun. :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 04:08:41 PM »
The original pedals in our cars didn't come with the recesses for the stainless steel trim.
5S071, 6S1467

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
The original pedals in our cars didn't come with the recesses for the stainless steel trim.

Believe you will find that incorrect since we're discussing 66's. Referring to the rubber pedal pads as well as the plastic gas pedal. Believe Ford just figured out it was cheaper to make just one style
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 03:42:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
Jeff-I agree that they just wanted to save money by making one style but are you saying that ALL '66 GT350's had the brake, clutch and accelerator pedals with the recesses for the trim?  I would expect that the carryovers had the old style and that they used up stock until they ran out.
5S071, 6S1467

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »
....................are you saying that ALL '66 GT350's had the brake, clutch and accelerator pedals with the recesses for the trim?  I would expect that the carryovers had the old style and that they used up stock until they ran out.

Not at all as we always have those carryover  cars to consider that were built (mostly) during the 65 production year.

Not sure if the plants used up what little stock they would have had on hand as it was easy enough to take what was in the delivery pipeline and redirect it to the service parts chain like they did for many other parts.

Looking at early 66 Mustangs built at San Jose plus the first group of Shelby's so far I'm not seeing any evidence that shows a pattern of using up the old stock. Only found one 66 build car without a recess in the brake pedal and can't explain it since I've got recessed ones before and after so its an orphan at this point. Of course only looking at unrestored examples and of those that do not appear to have been maintained in any way.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
The accelerator pedal that was serviced through Ford at least since the late 1970s came with the SS trim installed. I'm guessing that explains why it is seen on lots of cars.
Otherwise, I believe all '65 and '66 GT350s originally had pedals (brake, clutch, and accelerator) without the trim.

The recess in the pedals for the trim is another issue that the OP did not ask, but I have seen the brake and clutch pedal pads without recessses originally in cars up through the carryovers. I've also seen the later pedals with the recess that are believed to be original in many carryovers. It appears that, with most everything, there was no distinct transition from one style to another. It's worth noting that the accelerator pedal without the recess seemed to have been used on only earlier cars in '65, and you will find the ones with the recess originally used much earlier than the other pedal pads.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang