Author Topic: Ah, the Good 'Ol Days of Racing Back in '63  (Read 1075 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Ah, the Good 'Ol Days of Racing Back in '63
« on: October 17, 2021, 06:21:46 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQA4abSmDTQ

Good stuff around 13 mins in.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, the Good 'Ol Days of Racing Back in '63
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 08:03:44 PM »
Now we know why Foyt drove 2 stints in the rain at the 67 LeMans.
How long were these races? Having to refuel a Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TaBg9lkm4
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:08:54 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
     These vintage race films are great!   ;D

Interesting bits:

For the FE guys the Galaxies competing in England is a rare sight (pick-up @ 6.25 min.), unfortunately (for Ford) in this event of Brands Hatch Six Hour Race the little 3.8L Jaguar MKII's showed the way, as it seemed the Ford defenders just couldn't cope with getting their feet (tyres) wet; this demonstrated by the big number '1' Galaxie going round twice in the event with driver Dan Gurney as co-driven with Jack Brabham (both photographed), and finishing several laps down to the Jaguars!  :o     

And, (starting at about 12.50 min.) also rare views of the Jaguar factory lightweight E-Types, particularly the number '1', registration number '4 WPD' and appears to be Graham Hill as presented with the collar of roses.  But I'm not sure which event this is? .....anybody (I'm lazy, save me the research effort of looking it up!)?     

Perhaps this should be posted on the FE Forum (at least the section relevant), though the race out come might not be completely appreciated, the historical views should be; and after all, the humility of defeat by the little six cylinder Jags won't hurt that badly!  Though........... as viewed (@ 7.33 min.) it looks a though the Jaguar is attempting to push even the fastest Galaxie off the mark out of the way!  But then, the FE guys can always point out in their defense that the number '6' car was disqualified, as upon technical inspection it was found to have not legal inlet valves installed, oh my!  But unfortunately, the other Jags that were ahead didn't get disqualified.  ::)

Scott.

UPDATE: 

I answered my own question, as I believe the race with the Competition Jaguars (aka. Lightweights) and Graham Hill being victorious was the Daily Express Silverstone event.   ;)   And it wasn't even a close race to victory for the Jaguar;.........if anybody cares?    :-\

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 12:14:28 PM by pbf777 »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
   the humility of defeat by the little six cylinder Jags won't hurt that badly!  Though........... as viewed (@ 7.33 min.) it looks a though the Jaguar is attempting to push even the fastest Galaxie off the mark out of the way!  But then, the FE guys can always point out in their defense that the number '6' car was disqualified, as upon technical inspection it was found to have not legal inlet valves installed, oh my!  But unfortunately, the other Jags that were ahead didn't get disqualified.  ::)

The lowly Mini beat up on a lot of larger more powerful cars in it's time. After it's second upset rally win the FIA inspectors set to work and finally found a turn signal bulb that was not the one listed on the homologation papers and disqualified them.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 02:26:15 PM »
That was great seeing the Cobras racing at RA in this video during the year I was born.  I hadn't ever seen such film of Ken Miles in his car like that or a Cobra racing on a disc after it's wheel fell off.  Cool stuff.  Thank you

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 02:51:02 PM »
Cobra racing on a disc after it's wheel fell off.  Cool stuff. 
Lew Spencer who ran HiPerf Motors raced a Sunbeam Alpine and later a Tiger. He was probably Shelby's longest employee. He lived in Marina Del Rey and rowed every morning. His wife got a job in N or S Carolina and when he told CS he was moving and would retire as his personal assistant CS unwound his retirement deal and burned a friendship of over 50 years.