News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Parking brake warning light sensor

Started by 6s1640, October 17, 2021, 03:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Please see image below.  Is this the period assembly line sensor that mounts to parking brake?

Can some one take a picture of this piece installed?

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

Guess your likely working on a 66 Hertz delivered to the San Fran district

Here you go

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the image.  It is perfect.  My perception on the hand brake warning light appears to be wrong.  I thought all GT350H's got the brake warning light.  I now stand corrected base on your input, but I have further discussion.  My curiosity was sparked when I saw on auction SFM6S955 Hertz car with no hand brake warning light.

Below is a passage from he 2011 Registry, page 747.  The discussion is the hand brake warning light in the SAI meeting notes.  It appears Hertz "requested a field modification be carried out.  This will involve the installation of a hand brake warning light..."  However, "...there appears to be some difficulty obtaining 1000 lights in such short notice."  The registry continues to say "No Hertz cars have ever been found with the aforementioned light installed..."  Now I am confused, because I believe I have seen GT350H's with this light.  But you are saying only the San Fransisco GT350H's got the light.  Please help me understand how you concluded this.  The registry says non were installed.  Is it fair to say any hand brake warning light was installed by a previous owner, after HERTZ Corp ownership?  Or some actually got installed?   Any GT350H owners want to chime in"

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

The ebrake warning light subject came up in Forum 1.o if I recall correctly by the member that was rebuilding 6S476 and he believed it was a test and/or for the hill conditions that were found within the city.

Of course any documents can be recorded incorrectly or reflect what some one planned to do with out, often following up at a later date with an update or report.

The registry you mentioned was the findings or opinions at that time. We learn and grow without (hopefully) the limitations of our past. It appears that for some reason Hertz and or SA wanted to install on Hertz cars but could not get a supply this may have forced them to downsize their original request to cars that needed them the most or at least do a test to see if the option was beneficial

I have not cross referenced all the SF delivered Hertz cars to what pictures are out there, hopefully pre-restoration. Based on what the registry stated 10 years ago some had their systems, if indeed they had them, removed and the hole filled in on the dash.

I can report that my earlier review all of the 66 Shelbys I've had pictures of when I did that last review,  with the hole or light in the lower drivers side dash were all Hertz cars and all originally delivered to SF supporting the earlier discussion

As aside can't see where an emergency brake light would be something many if any performance car would do as a modification but maybe there was one owner not more and if so why not non-Hertz examples. The warning light on Mustangs is a pretty rare finding on a 66 or 65. Kits were available since the start of Mustang production

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for getting back to me so quick.  I trust your photographic records.  Thank you for explaining.

Are there any San Fransisco delivered GT350H owners out there who have any thoughts?

Take care

Cory

Bill Collins

I have an opinion as to why San Francisco Hertz cars received the parking brake warning light. This may be obvious to anyone familiar with that City, but a parking experience I had there made an impression on me.

San Francisco is a city with many hills (this becomes obvious to anyone watching the film Bullitt). Accordingly they have certain regulations regarding on street parking. These include what is known as "curbing your wheels", which is a requirement to turn the front wheels into the curb. Being an Easterner, how do I know this? Well, during a visit to SF following attending SAAC-6 in Monterey in 1981, I parked my rental car onstreet, facing uphill. I returned to find a ticket on the windshield for failure to curb the wheels.

So I suspect that engaging the parking brake was likely also a requirement. The light may have served as reminder to engage the brake, and /or disengage it when pulling out. The latter was important with the Shelby metallic brake lining, which does not become most effective until heated up. So Hertz may have wanted the light as a preemptive measure to remind customers what to do.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

gt350hr

Jeff,
      Dave @ Shasta Mustang and I had many conversations regarding the similarities and differences between 6S476 and my 6S477. BOTH are part of the 18 white with blue side stripes Hertz cars that became known as the "brake test" cars. 476 (sent to SF) had the light and hole in the dash while 477 ( used at LAX) did not. 477 DID get a change to asbestos rear lining as the original metallic linings ( now back on the car) were placed in the trunk drop offs. This was likely done "in the field" by Hertz as there are no "warranty records" of HP Motors doing it. My "Hertz Vehicle Maintainence Record " paper has no markings on it either. One odd thing ( as I have already told you is 476 and 477 both have '65 "round back" rear axle housings ( and some others in the group) , NOT the '66 "half round" with the big hex nut. Neither car has a speedo lock either.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Just a note though the practice was referred to as a "test" after looking at things I think it was not but instead a practice that was adopted for those cars since we have evidence of those cars from the 400s to almost the 2000's with the holes and switches

Have been keeping an eye open for these details as well as how some regions marked/identified the rentals as we've discussed before

6s1640

For what its worth,  I checked to with 2 San Fransisco GT350H owners, and both their cars have the hand brake light, 6S835 and 6S836, both with brake booster. In some old notes, I am showing 440, 476 and 524 also have the light, all delivered S&C Motors.

6S1640 GT350H, delivered to Scottsdale Arizona does not. 

Below is a copy of the installation instruction for anyone cares for the details.

Thank you all for the input.

Cory