Author Topic: 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe Reproduction For Sale  (Read 1639 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe Reproduction For Sale
« on: October 21, 2021, 02:30:59 PM »
NOT Mine, but I figured this would be a good conversation piece for this group.

I don't know a lot about these cars, but after watching the video of Michael Shoen's interview, I would assume this would be the best car to buy next to an original.  $350k is still a lot of money, but also a lot less than a real one.  I enjoyed this video and thought some of you might as well.

https://youtu.be/OPnxFe7WqZI

For Sale on Legendary Motor Company's website:

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1964-shelby-daytona-coupe-reproduction-2410.aspx

Ad Description  - $350,000.00
1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe Reproduction
 Aluminum Recreation of The Famous 1964 Daytona Coupe CSX2300
 Owned By Cobra Authority And Author of “The Cobra-Ferrari Wars” Mike Shoen
 Shoen Once Owned 3 Of The 6 Original Daytona Coupes All At One Time
 Built To Copy The Famous Daytona Coupe That Ran In The 1964 Tour De France By Bondurant and Neerpasch

LMC is very proud to offer for sale this 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe Reproduction

The Cobra Daytona Coupe; the most famous of all the Shelby Cobras. The Cobra Roadster dominated in America, winning both the USRRC and SCCA championships in 1963. Shelby set his sights far higher for the 1964 season, adding to the mix, his quest to win the FIA World Championship. The European circuits like Le Mans, Spa and Reims had longer straightaways compared to many American tracks, so extended periods of top speed would be of great benefit. Under close inspection, the FIA rule book revealed that a production chassis could be fitted with a non-production style body. Of course a Coupe with better aerodynamics could fill this void. A 23 year old Pete Brock designed the Daytona Coupe, which proved to add approximately 25 MPH to the Cobras top speed. The 1964 FIA Season was turning out to be a major success, The Daytona Coupe had placed 1st IC and 4th overall at the 1964 Le Mans 24 Hours. Even after some bad luck, Shelby was still very capable of beating Ferrari in the overall points coming into the last 3 races. The Tour De France was an almost guaranteed win for Ferrari and Bridgehampton very likely a win for Shelby, leaving only Monza.  This track with its long straightaways heavily favored the Shelby Daytona Coupes over their rival, the Ferrari 250 GTO.  Enzo himself, who had a strong influence over Monza race officials; behind closed doors had the FIA cancel the Monza race, effectively securing the FIA Championship for Ferrari. The following year in 1965 the Daytona Coupes dominated and won the 1965 FIA World Championships, perhaps Shelby's proudest accomplishment. The Shelby Daytona Coupes are Americas 250 GTO, well deserved by their performance and beauty.

Mike Shoen the owner of this Daytona Coupe is one of the most famous Cobra historians and truly the first to recognize the importance of these cars. He had begun purchasing Cobras in the late 60s into the 70s and purchased csx2299, the most famous Daytona Coupe directly from Shelby himself. Shoen was the first major Cobra collector; he found and owned only the most important of all Cobras including the first Cobra race car, the only unrestored FIA roadster and 3 original Daytona Coupes all at one time! Including the Le Mans winner! After eventually selling off his Daytona Coupes and other Cobras, in recent years he went about having a Daytona Coupe reproduced that would give him the same feeling as his original cars.  Lech Kowalski of Caro Cars in Poland, ex MIG jet fabricators with a passion for Cobras who used to work at Kirkham was the obvious choice to build the body and chassis.  They were able to borrow the original Daytona Coupe csx2300 and copy the exact body shape and chassis from the car. Shoen himself who previously owned csx2300 chose Caro Cars as he knew they were building them correctly and himself knowing each Daytona Coupe had slightly different body designs, he would model his car off the original they copied. CSX2300s racing debut was at Targa Florio in 1964 driven by Bob Bondurant and Jochen Neerpasch. Since Shoen wanted something special and unique, he decided to go with the 1964 livery and specifications and specifically the opening race for csx2300, a great choice. Shoen had the car delivered as a chassis and body to his mechanic in Arizona. He brought all of his intimate knowledge of the Daytona Coupes to oversee the entire build process. He modified the car to 1964 specifications instead of the usual 1965 specifications as nearly all recreations are down today. Shoen’s attention to detail and parts sourcing was necessary to make this car as correct as possible. The original csx2300 raced at some of the most important races including Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, 1000km Nurburgring and 12 Hour Of Reims. This is an incredible opportunity to purchase an aluminum-bodied Daytona Coupe, as close to original as you will find that stands out from all the rest, in its 1964 specifications and put together by one of the greatest original Cobra enthusiasts, collectors, historians and previous owner of the original car it emulates.

This video shows Mike Shoen describing the car in further detail. Shelby Daytona Coupe History

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe Reproduction For Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »
Mike had 2001 in unrestored as raced condition. His most recent restoration is the Lone Star. Several times COCOA was able to pull his Coupe out of the old Petersen Museum (If I remember it was on Hollywood Blvd west of the Chinese theatre). When the Coupe got hauled to SAAC 1 I asked why they were using such a POS edgy trailer. Simple answer was it was the same trailer it got hauled around on by SA when it was new. I got to drive that one at a meeting. Later I got a ride at Ontario Motor Speedway in one of his other Coupes but the Coup De Gras was driving Shelby's Coupe at Willow Springs while Sports Car Graphic was doing an article. OK it was only 1/2 lap at about 35 mph but it was fun.
If I was to do a Coupe today I'd do a Superformance. Pete Brock worked with them and did a lot of little tricks to the car that he was unable to do at the time. https://www.superformance.com/news-article/now-you-can-buy-daytona-coupe-original-designer
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:53:09 PM »
Looks like the guy in the M3 gets a slight jump on him at the start of the half mile, does not take long for him to blow past, just a walk in the park for him.
Tom - DFW, Texas

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »
     "Adjust gears in rear diff"

I guess, it's being said that the car would capitalize on a different gear ratio?   :-\

Or did it just lunch the rear end in that pass!?  :o

Scott.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »
I wish i could buy this one !!!! :P