Author Topic: The G.T. 350 Garage YouTube channel  (Read 6943 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: The G.T. 350 Garage YouTube channel
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2022, 07:35:42 PM »
427Heaven:  You and I are definitely on the same side!   

I remember when I bought my KR, 40 years ago this year.  Back then, I was in my early 20s and didn't have even close to the $$ to actually buy it. And my parents wouldn't help.  I borrowed some money from my friends, wrangled a salary advance from my employer (Popular Hot Rodding Magazine) and got a few scheckles of donation from my dear old grandmother to make it happen. Oh yeah, and I even talked the KR's seller into floating me a short-term loan.  That's how much I wanted the car.  It was already a Day 2 car with a 427 side-oiler, headers and five-spoke wheels, but the rest was original: Paint, sheet-metal, interior, etc. 

Imagine my disappointment when I took it to my first local Shelby & Cobra get-together and literally no one walked over to look at my car. I'd been directed to park at the far end of the lot, with the couple of other orphan Shelbys...meaning anything '66 and later.  Back then, unless you had a '65 GT350, or a Cobra, you weren't shit.  I was crestfallen.  I'd may as well have parked on the other side of the dumpsters.

That type of scenario has, of course, changed for the better in recent decades. But as we all know, there's still some of the cognoscenti looking down upon us Day Two'ers. 

IMO, we all (well, perhaps only 99.4% of us) are here because we LOVE Shelbys.  That should make us a fraternity...a brotherhood of sorts. Sure, brothers argue and wrestle on the lawn occasionally...but let another clan try and mess with our "family" and there'll be trouble.

I respect everyone on here who is dedicated to their vision of their car. What they love.

As many have stated on this forum before: We need new Shelby enthusiasts to join our ranks. Please come here with genuine enthusiasm & thoughtful questions. But don't show up acting like too-cool hero bloggers, know-it-alls, outright liars/scammers, or rude/pompous jerks. 

I don't wish to start a range war with anyone. I'm just stating my opinions, and here's another one: When life's timeclock runs out on each of us, I hope we each can grin at the devil about having heart-pounding, adrenaline-pulsing, total wild fun with our Shelbys.  Whether that's racing it, street driving it, concours showing it, modifying it, or just making it all perfect & looking at it.   

Well...so long as the next owner doesn't Eleanor my car, or make it into a low rider, or put a BB Chevy in it  :P...   Then, I'm coming back to haunt you!  With a very pissed-off Carroll at my side!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:37:07 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
I don’t know when it happened, but early Shelby owner’s never used to be such judgmental pricks.  From what I can tell the older some of you get, the worse you’ve become though. 

Hey I'm one of those old guys and salute your efforts to build YOUR car. I'm a strong day 2 advocate and hate seeing a line of of early Shelbys where the only difference is the date codes on the sheetmetal and glass. I think a lot of people have been blinded by the value of Day 1 cars and let that sway their judgement. ALL Shelbys in their lifetime have a history and memories - a soul if you will. That gets erased for the most part when restored.
Imagine if you will your car parked at a show and some old guy comes up and says that was my car. See that hole there? I drilled that when I mounted XYZ ignition module it helped me get another 1/10 out of it at X track or beat that Vette in the impromptu street race. Everything that has been done to that car has a story.
BTW: I sold OP 843 and am proud that he is enjoying as it was designed and hasn't turned it into an inanimate piece of art.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2022, 08:50:34 PM »
I don’t know when it happened, but early Shelby owner’s never used to be such judgmental pricks.  From what I can tell the older some of you get, the worse you’ve become though. 

Hey I'm one of those old guys and salute your efforts to build YOUR car. I'm a strong day 2 advocate and hate seeing a line of of early Shelbys where the only difference is the date codes on the sheetmetal and glass. I think a lot of people have been blinded by the value of Day 1 cars and let that sway their judgement. ALL Shelbys in their lifetime have a history and memories - a soul if you will. That gets erased for the most part when restored.
Imagine if you will your car parked at a show and some old guy comes up and says that was my car. See that hole there? I drilled that when I mounted XYZ ignition module it helped me get another 1/10 out of it at X track or beat that Vette in the impromptu street race. Everything that has been done to that car has a story.
BTW: I sold OP 843 and am proud that he is enjoying as it was designed and hasn't turned it into an inanimate piece of art.

You were saying?  Lol
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 08:53:02 PM »
^^^ But wait, Richard.  Isn't that photo actually a piece of art?    ;D
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2022, 08:55:29 PM »
You there ! Yes you, How dare you !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2022, 10:04:16 PM »
^^^ But wait, Richard.  Isn't that photo actually a piece of art?    ;D

Oh yeah!  The painter did a magnificent job.  I wanted to be captured in my car before I got any older.  If I live long enough, I can look back with fondness upon these (relatively) earlier years.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2022, 01:15:15 AM »

Hi, you own a piece of history so that's why people cringe at mods. It's your car do as you will, but everything you change moves the car farther and farther from it's place in history - making it less interesting. Bob is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum and provided you a sound observation.

In case you haven’t been alive the past 20 years, a later-66 GT350 isn’t worth crap these days relatively speaking.  Enthusiasm for these cars is being directed to “clones” costing as much as double the current price of the nice original drivers because a bunch of old guys got together and shamed everyone into feeling bad about actually enjoying these cars.  Visually speaking, a hood scoop, side scoops, quarter windows and some stripes make any fastback look like a ‘66 GT350.  So the clones are out there at $200K+ being enjoyed the way Carroll Shelby would have wanted us to do with the originals.

The “piece of history” thing is blown completely out of proportion, and those of us who want to drive the cars want more than the experience offered by polishing it before and after Cars & Coffee.  Facts about a correct stock ‘66 GT350 are that they are neither fast nor quick, they stop poorly, they turn poorly, they are uncomfortable, they are noisy, and a new 4-cylinder Mustang is better at everything you can ask them to do as a car.  All you have is a VIN tag and a specific look.  Beyond that, the cars are just old cars most enthusiasts under 50. 

More people will get excited by a loud and competent GT350 being driven with intent, than by a museum piece with a “Do Not Touch” sign showing from every angle.  If you want people to experience the history, and more importantly learn about it and keep it alive, put their ass in the passenger seat and show them.  It’s like the modern analogy of marrying a virgin supermodel and never sealing the deal to preserve her for her next husband.  First, if you know there is going to be a next husband you’re already in deep trouble.  Second why are you pouring your time and effort into something that you aren’t passionate about.  If you buy a real Shelby GT350 to enjoy it, you should enjoy it to the fullest, not just to spend money on it to look at it, and if you can improve it further without negative consequences, why wouldn’t you?
Obviously some here really don't finish reading the post or just don't understand what people write in their post.

@427Hunter.........
6S1523 plainly stated in Reply #5, 2nd paragraph.
"At the same time, there is a significant effort being made to preserve the integrity of the car so it can easily be returned to stock and restored to its correct original form"......

He also said he's welding in subframe connectors... It's obvious some people here don't pay attention  ;D ha ha ha
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2022, 02:09:01 AM »

Hi, you own a piece of history so that's why people cringe at mods. It's your car do as you will, but everything you change moves the car farther and farther from it's place in history - making it less interesting. Bob is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum and provided you a sound observation.

In case you haven’t been alive the past 20 years, a later-66 GT350 isn’t worth crap these days relatively speaking.  Enthusiasm for these cars is being directed to “clones” costing as much as double the current price of the nice original drivers because a bunch of old guys got together and shamed everyone into feeling bad about actually enjoying these cars.  Visually speaking, a hood scoop, side scoops, quarter windows and some stripes make any fastback look like a ‘66 GT350.  So the clones are out there at $200K+ being enjoyed the way Carroll Shelby would have wanted us to do with the originals.

The “piece of history” thing is blown completely out of proportion, and those of us who want to drive the cars want more than the experience offered by polishing it before and after Cars & Coffee.  Facts about a correct stock ‘66 GT350 are that they are neither fast nor quick, they stop poorly, they turn poorly, they are uncomfortable, they are noisy, and a new 4-cylinder Mustang is better at everything you can ask them to do as a car.  All you have is a VIN tag and a specific look.  Beyond that, the cars are just old cars most enthusiasts under 50. 

More people will get excited by a loud and competent GT350 being driven with intent, than by a museum piece with a “Do Not Touch” sign showing from every angle.  If you want people to experience the history, and more importantly learn about it and keep it alive, put their ass in the passenger seat and show them.  It’s like the modern analogy of marrying a virgin supermodel and never sealing the deal to preserve her for her next husband.  First, if you know there is going to be a next husband you’re already in deep trouble.  Second why are you pouring your time and effort into something that you aren’t passionate about.  If you buy a real Shelby GT350 to enjoy it, you should enjoy it to the fullest, not just to spend money on it to look at it, and if you can improve it further without negative consequences, why wouldn’t you?

I think you miss the entire point, I (like many other) like the way old cars drive because it's enjoyable, I don't want them to drive like a new car, I like the history and the way they were made. I have several cars in my fleet that I have restored over the years, my interest in hot-rodded shit-boxes went away years ago. My fuelie vette was a marvel of engineering back in 64, you ever delt with puddle fuel injection? Now in your world I would chuck that fuelie unit for a 3310 and a performer, no thanks I will stick with 1964. My ls3 ss camaro or my wife's challenger rt are daily drivers and they will run circles around just about anything with the ac on! but that's not the point is it? if performance is what your after you are barking up the wrong tree, get a new Shelby. I don't know if you can turn a wrench, but since you live in Utah and have all these grand plans, how do you plan on getting this brute performance out of a normally asperated 289 at elevation ?   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:41:29 AM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

6S1523

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2022, 11:54:03 AM »
I’m done.  This place is clearly for opinionated assholes who thrive on bullying people about their cars.  It’s sad, because SAAC used to be a really fantastic group of likeminded people, I know this because I’ve participated in the club and events dating back to SAAC 9.  I don’t need to come here to be belittled and berated by impotent keyboard warriors. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »
Listen dude, that's exactly what they want.

Don't leave,  stay , look , listen and post.

You leave it's:

Dude - 0
Them - 1
Winners by default

I’m done.  This place is clearly for opinionated assholes who thrive on bullying people about their cars.  It’s sad, because SAAC used to be a really fantastic group of likeminded people, I know this because I’ve participated in the club and events dating back to SAAC 9.  I don’t need to come here to be belittled and berated by impotent keyboard warriors.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
Thank you for triggering in me an epiphany

Quote from: link=topic=16769.msg141692#msg141692 date=1641656342

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:38:19 PM by FL SAAC »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 01:42:03 PM »
 took your qoute out completely, but the name fell on the outside of the qoute

It has been removed now

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2022, 02:03:47 PM »
I watched some of the videos, since the car is pretty far from being original already it appeared the guy was going all in to make it what he wants.  Not my cup of tea but I really don't care as its not my car. 

As most know, it takes a considerable amount of effort and expense to identify, track down, purchase and restore correct parts which is obviously not his thing.  By his rude comments however, it also appears in his eyes, no one else can have an opinion unless you praise him for his efforts.  1523... get over it, just agree to disagree and do your thing instead acting like a spoiled child. 

What the SAAC and a lot of its members offer is incredible, the knowledge is tremendous but guess what, people have opinions and they might not agree with yours.  If you walk away it is your loss.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2022, 02:10:34 PM »
I watched some of the videos, since the car is pretty far from being original already it appeared the guy was going all in to make it what he wants.  Not my cup of tea but I really don't care as its not my car. 

As most know, it takes a considerable amount of effort and expense to identify, track down, purchase and restore correct parts which is obviously not his thing.  By his rude comments however, it also appears in his eyes, no one else can have an opinion unless you praise him for his efforts.  1523... get over it, just agree to disagree and do your thing instead acting like a spoiled child. 

What the SAAC and a lot of its members offer is incredible, the knowledge is tremendous but guess what, people have opinions and they might not agree with yours.  If you walk away it is your loss.

Totally agree.  Not sure what more anyone could have said here.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2022, 07:35:45 PM »

Obviously some here really don't finish reading the post or just don't understand what people write in their post.

@427Hunter.........
6S1523 plainly stated in Reply #5, 2nd paragraph.
"At the same time, there is a significant effort being made to preserve the integrity of the car so it can easily be returned to stock and restored to its correct original form"......

He also said he's welding in subframe connectors... It's obvious some people here don't pay attention  ;D ha ha ha
Yea, but it can be reversed. Damn, you should know that ::)

Why don't all of you keep your comments to yourself and LET THE MAN DO WHAT THE HELL HE WANTS TO WITH IT.   

Beats all I've ever seen ::) 

GOOD GRIEF.