News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

I Bought a 1966 carryover tachometer

Started by crxnug, November 07, 2021, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crxnug

From a earlier post i was looking at buying a 1966 gt-350 carryover tachometer, I ended up buying it, after doing some research it looks like phildon restorations is the place to go, Gauge works but does not have the correct wiring or the black crinkle finish, the gauge looks in nice shape, some minor fading ,the  question i have is when i get it restored would you keep the original gauge face pitina, or have the face replaced, here are some pictures i brought it home

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

GT350Lad

Absolutely keep it the way it is
It looks in good shape
6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Only If the rest of the car is completely restored and looks like new would you want to consider a new looking face IMO. And then only if you were planning on showing in a concours venue.  A faded face would be a possible score deduction given the standards are to look as new which is typically the point in the restored class's . The patina on the face would not match the rest of the car.  If parts of the car do not have that brand new look and are not done to concours show standards which of course means that you are not planning on showing in a concours venue then I would definitely leave the face alone. Just my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Always looks cooler original(unless the car is absolutely perfect)IMHO.Cool score!

kingchief

When I had Phidon restore my tach [same one as yours], I kept the original patina. Looks GREAT!

I attached a picture of mine. It was restored 6-7 years ago and still performs perfect!

Steve
SFM 6S406

chris NOS