News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 Shelby hood grounding bracket?

Started by Corey Bowcutt, April 30, 2018, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 30, 2018, 08:48:05 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 30, 2018, 08:33:59 PM
Here's a question: Why would a Shelby-destined car have been built with a hood ground strap?

I assume that a strap would only be needed on cars with the Mustang's optional turn-signal hoods. 

Weren't all SAI cars in '68 delivered to AO Smith without hoods?

Thus, I'd think that there would be no need to have the cars spec'd with the turn-signal hood ground strap at all.

Am I missing something here?
Yes, you are assuming it only had to do with turn signals in the hood. It was in fact a radio static control detail as much as anything else. The clip had two sharp prongs that were to dig into the metal for a superior ground that was suppose to better connect (ground) the hood to the rest of the chassis . This was to create a shield (top and sides) to prevent static from the ignition wires from interfering with the radio . I believe the clip is included in radio kits sometimes too. Just like the strange static suppressors that go inside the front wheel bearing caps. FYI Shelby's with all fiberglass hoods were very susceptible to poor AM reception. That is one main reason IMO why the antenna was relocated to the driver rear quarter from the front on early 68 Shelby's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

FYI in 69/70 Shelby the clip was eliminated. On 69/70 there is typically no hole where the clip is secured on other like Mustangs. It wasn't taken off because it was typically never installed on 69/70 Shelby's
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

Thanks for the info, Bob.  I'm always up for learning something new about the cars we all love.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Coralsnake

The cars did have hoods, but they were not "production" hoods. They were simply used to keep water out during transport.

Likely this part was so small, it was easier to leave it in place, rather than to eliminate it.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Side-Oilers

Thanks to you too, Pete.   Makes sense.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

OldMil

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 30, 2018, 09:18:15 PM
The cars did have hoods, but they were not "production" hoods. They were simply used to keep water out during transport.
That's interesting Pete..so what did these non-production hoods look like, and are there any around?

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

A mixture of Mustang and non useable Shelby fiberglass hoods, most likely used over and over and then scrapped

Coralsnake

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on April 30, 2018, 10:08:19 PM
00212 has this

Oh that thing? Mine has a Phillps head screw in it. I thought it was there to hold the gasket in place?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

other side of cowl has Phillips screws   :o
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .