News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Current gas prices in western suburbs of Chicago

Started by deathsled, November 08, 2021, 01:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trotrof1

I can still remember most of the cigarette TV commercials. Smokes were .55 cents a pack and the only thing you needed to purchase was to be tall enough to operate a vending machine. I think the same strategy on gasoline is at work.

deathsled

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 09, 2021, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on November 08, 2021, 09:24:34 PM
Speaking of high prices, we were at the grocery this week-end and I just happened to see the sign over the customer service counter...Marlboros $7.95/pack!  Wow! 40 cents a smoke...So glad I gave 'em up 40 years ago.

Never smoked, and cannot imagine it.

https://balancingeverything.com/cigarette-prices-by-state/
Nor I.  Wasn't even tempted.  I do remember pop-eye candy cigarettes they used to sell in Toronto.  They were tasty but it never got me in to the actual habit.  Don't know if they were a thing here in the US back in the 60s 70s.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Ladies and Gentlemen I have found nirvana, this is a place where all the gasoline junkies can move to and purchase 95 octane at a totally insane price. 

I present you VENEZUELA !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mark p

I feel your pain...
$4.269 for a gallon of Shell premium here on Sunday 11/7. Ouch :(
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

69mach351w

Quote from: trotrof1 on November 09, 2021, 12:31:49 PM
I can still remember most of the cigarette TV commercials. Smokes were .55 cents a pack and the only thing you needed to purchase was to be tall enough to operate a vending machine. I think the same strategy on gasoline is at work.
I can remember the Flintstone's had cigarette commercials as did the Munster's.

Was watching an episode of Emergency and Dixie (Julie London) was smoking on her break. Seems like the year was 1974?

Also watching Quincy and see people smoking in the hospital as well.

Crazy, Crazy how times have Surely changed :o

69mach351w

Quote from: deathsled on November 09, 2021, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 09, 2021, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on November 08, 2021, 09:24:34 PM
Speaking of high prices, we were at the grocery this week-end and I just happened to see the sign over the customer service counter...Marlboros $7.95/pack!  Wow! 40 cents a smoke...So glad I gave 'em up 40 years ago.

Never smoked, and cannot imagine it.

https://balancingeverything.com/cigarette-prices-by-state/
Nor I.  Wasn't even tempted.  I do remember pop-eye candy cigarettes they used to sell in Toronto.  They were tasty but it never got me in to the actual habit.  Don't know if they were a thing here in the US back in the 60s 70s.
Candy cig's are still sold in some areas here in NC. There's a small Mom & Pop convenient store on the other side of town that sells them. Actually he owns two convenient stores and sell them at both. I know, because my granddaughter loves them ;D   But I have never smoked either.

Used to have chewing gum cigs in Cali.Paper wrapper around the gum with powdered  sugar inside.You could blow through em and the sugar would billow like smoke.Gotta start em young... ::)

Side-Oilers

Back to gas prices after this word from our sponsor: 

The types of children's cigarettes we had in L.A. in the mid-to-late '60s included chewing gum cigs, chewing gum cigars, and white sugar cigs with the "lit" tips created with healthy red food coloring. 

Those sugar cigs were sold in 10-packs (IIRC) with labels and packaging that looked kinda, sorta, close to Marlboros and Kools.

Actual cigarette prices, in the grocery stores at the time, was 25 cents a pack, and 35 cents in most vending machines.

That last time I smoked was in 8th grade, under the Sepulveda Blvd bridge with my two best buddies and three neighborhood girls. That was actually a pretty good day.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Quit yur bitchin, the rest of you.  I shot this pix the other day, in West L.A., adjacent to Beverly Hills. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

67 GT350

I have a hard time feeling sorry for two States:
NY
CA
ok here is more
OR
WA
AZ (because of something else)
GA (because of something else)
The NY of the Southern States, NC (because of something else)
PA (because of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, SCRANTON...for another reason)
and more...(etc)
This is what they WILLINGLY VOTED FOR.
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Now that is funeeeeeee, I know a few that live there

You are correct Sir!

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 10, 2021, 11:10:57 AM
I have a hard time feeling sorry for two States:
NY
CA
ok here is more
OR
WA
AZ (because of something else)
GA (because of something else)
The NY of the Southern States, NC (because of something else)
PA (because of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, SCRANTON...for another reason)
and more...(etc)
This is what they WILLINGLY VOTED FOR.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

gt350hr

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 09, 2021, 10:43:18 PM

The types of children's cigarettes we had in L.A. in the mid-to-late '60s included chewing gum cigs, chewing gum cigars, and white sugar cigs with the "lit" tips created with healthy red food coloring. 

Those sugar cigs were sold in 10-packs (IIRC) with labels and packaging that looked kinda, sorta, close to Marlboros and Kools.

Actual cigarette prices, in the grocery stores at the time, was 25 cents a pack, and 35 cents in most vending machines.

That last time I smoked was in 8th grade, under the Sepulveda Blvd bridge with my two best buddies and three neighborhood girls. That was actually a pretty good day.

So are we talking second base????    LOL
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 09, 2021, 10:45:09 PM
Quit yur bitchin, the rest of you.  I shot this pix the other day, in West L.A., adjacent to Beverly Hills.

Can't be.  That must be CGI.  Wow!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

Quote from: gt350hr on November 10, 2021, 11:27:21 AM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 09, 2021, 10:43:18 PM

So are we talking second base????    LOL

My buddies and I actually called it "second gear" back then.  Figured our parents wouldn't know what we were talking about.  But, I kinda think my dad did.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model