News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

6S1172 - on BAT

Started by silverton_ford, November 08, 2021, 09:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

6S1172

Link to BAT - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-shelby-mustang-hertz-gt350h-13/

Description:

This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350H is said to be one of 57 examples for the model year finished in Sapphire Blue and was delivered new to Larsen Ford in White Plains, New York on March 4, 1966, for dealer prep prior to delivery to Hertz Corporation. Power is provided by a replacement 289ci HiPo V8 paired with a Tremec TKO five-speed manual transmission. Features include a four-barrel carburetor, dual-outlet exhaust, hood and side scoops, hood pins, 14″ Magnum 500-style wheels, front disc brakes, Koni shock absorbers, a dash-mounted tachometer, a Hurst shifter, latch-and-link harnesses for both occupants, black upholstery, and a push-button AM radio. The car was acquired by the owner and relocated to Arizona in 2017. This GT350H is offered on dealership consignment in Florida with a spare automatic transmission, partial service records, SAAC registry documentation, and a clean Arizona title.

The car is said to have been repainted in the factory Sapphire Blue with gold stripes during the 1980s. Features include chrome bumpers, a steel hood with a scoop, quarter windows, and side scoops.

Chrome-finished 14″ Magnum 500-style wheels wear Hertz "Sports Car Club" center caps and are mounted with 205/70 BFGoodrich Radial T/A white letter tires. Braking is provided by front discs and rear drums.

The cockpit features front bucket seats trimmed in black vinyl with pleated cloth inserts and a fold-down rear bench. A Ford-branded AM radio is mounted in the center of the dashboard along with a competition brake warning sticker, latch-and-link harnesses for both occupants, and crank windows.

The wood three-spoke steering wheel frames a 140-mph speedometer, auxiliary gauges, and a Shelby-branded 8k-rpm tachometer. The five-digit odometer shows 61k miles, approximately 100 miles have been added under current ownership.

The replacement 289ci V8 breathes through a four-barrel carburetor, and the engine bay is fitted with an export brace and a cross bar.

Power is delivered to the wheels through a Tremec TKO five-speed manual transmission and a 9″ rear axle. The removed C4 automatic transmission is included in the sale. Corrosion is visible on underbody components.

An excerpt from the SAAC registry is pictured above and outlines history of chassis 6S1172 from 1966 through 2008 ownership.

deathsled

Blue Hertz.  Great color.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Britton

This car was previously a no sale with high bid of $155,000 earlier this year at Mecum.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-447457/1966-shelby-gt350h-fastback/
1967 GT350 #2645

GT350Lad

Nice car. Great colour. Will watch it and see
Repo tag
6S373
6S1276

trotrof1

Tag appears replacement. A good attempt but no cigar. Lets hope they never get it right.

shelbymann1970

PICs 180 and 175 reveals the Ford Vin of the car from a SAAC letter to a PO in 1994.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

I've always liked the sapphire blue/white cars.  The sapphire/gold does present well however.  Think this guy's in a tough spot...  It's not all that original to command the big $$$ nor is it all that well restored to either...  Plus the mods he's done.  No doubt appealing, but not 'right' either..all personal preference.  Wish him all the best...
Tom - DFW, Texas

shelbymann1970

Quote from: PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy on November 09, 2021, 09:43:46 AM
I've always liked the sapphire blue/white cars.  The sapphire/gold does present well however.  Think this guy's in a tough spot...  It's not all that original to command the big $$$ nor is it all that well restored to either...  Plus the mods he's done.  No doubt appealing, but not 'right' either..all personal preference.  Wish him all the best...
I know for a fact of at least 2 very strong sales on BaT recently where the buyers knew nothing about the cars. They wanted them. One was not going to lose the auction even thuogh it was recommended at 90K he wouldn't be hurt on the CJ Mach1 and won it at 147K. The other was a rare black SCJ 70 sportsroof. The buyer knew nothing about the car. Lives abroad and will have it restored before he comes back to the states regardless of the cost. So it doesn't matter how well in many cases how a car was restored or if it needs one. There are buyers out there flush with cash and do not care the end cost. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

CharlesTurner

+1

Seems a lot of cars like this are run through auctions, but some additional work and detailing could make them much more presentable.  Someone knowledgeable with the cars could spend a couple weeks with it and really improve the overall appearance.  It doesn't have to be concours level work, but getting rid of aftermarket parts, cleaning/detailing parts to look right would go a long way.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

FL SAAC

Quote from: Britton on November 08, 2021, 11:08:26 PM
This car was previously a no sale with high bid of $155,000 earlier this year at Mecum.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-447457/1966-shelby-gt350h-fastback/

Should have taken it then at 155
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

Gary, you are right. I've seen those same auctions and scratch my head. That's certainly not me but I do see a lot of that. Works great for the seller I guess.
Tom - DFW, Texas

shelbymann1970

Quote from: PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy on November 09, 2021, 09:22:25 PM
Gary, you are right. I've seen those same auctions and scratch my head. That's certainly not me but I do see a lot of that. Works great for the seller I guess.
If I had a driver quality car with many incorrect parts on it and it looked great in pics I would not hesitate to put it on BaT.  The most over used term there by the peanut gallery is "stunning car!". Then I see pits in the inner fender sheet metal, rust, dirt, grime on the underside and in some cases looks painted over. I just SMH on those comments. Sometimes on a nice looking driver I'll comment "nice driver". Very few cars on there I have or would have called a stunning car and I'm not talking about the Ford GTs but 60s-70s muscle. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 09, 2021, 01:34:07 PM
I know for a fact of at least 2 very strong sales on BaT recently where the buyers knew nothing about the cars. They wanted them. One was not going to lose the auction even thuogh it was recommended at 90K he wouldn't be hurt on the CJ Mach1 and won it at 147K. The other was a rare black SCJ 70 sportsroof. The buyer knew nothing about the car. Lives abroad and will have it restored before he comes back to the states regardless of the cost. So it doesn't matter how well in many cases how a car was restored or if it needs one. There are buyers out there flush with cash and do not care the end cost. Gary

It's the "nouveau riche" that cause the rise in prices but then again I go way back and it was the "knowing" that talked me out of a 427 Cobra because they would never be worth more then 25 or 30 thousand and it was a lousy car to begin with?

Then there was this red Mangusta that was freshly restored and was $25 thousand then. Try $400 thousand now.

So in reality, you need to "beware of false profits" and be cautious on listening to the "experts"?  ;)

In the end if you have the money you need to go with your own "gut".

So what if you are damned for it? After all, "only the good die young?"
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

Gary & ShelbyDoug...  Agree.  Another thought is a skilled automotive entrepreneur could go after the car, take the non-OEM parts off, sell those in a separate venue, make some $, then put the car back to a more original shape clean-up/detail the engine bay & underside and interior and pull another 30K+ out of it..   Maybe do ok...& use the 'hope' of the peanut gallery or perhaps CaptianMyCaptain if they were so lucky.
Tom - DFW, Texas

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 10, 2021, 09:03:31 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 09, 2021, 01:34:07 PM

It's the "nouveau riche" that cause the rise in prices but then again I go way back and it was the "knowing" that talked me out of a 427 Cobra because they would never be worth more then 25 or 30 thousand and it was a lousy car to begin with?

Then there was this red Mangusta that was freshly restored and was $25 thousand then. Try $400 thousand now.

So in reality, you need to "beware of false profits" and be cautious on listening to the "experts"?  ;)
Back when DeLoreans were new and I was just out of HS my uncle asked if he should buy a DeLorean and put it away as an investment. I told him to buy a 427 Cobra and put it away(think they were around 30K then?). He bought neither. Fast forward to the late 90s before he died and he said he should have listened to me. I would have bought one but I was always "behind" as they escalated and could never afford one. So I bought my Vert instead. I'm not saying hte cars mentioned above will not escalate but unlike your examples ,Doug, they are not rare to the point that if passed up you couldn't find another one similar at a better price today. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990