Author Topic: 1967 GT350 Early Steel Frame Hood  (Read 3999 times)

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT350 Early Steel Frame Hood
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 04:05:09 PM »
Does anyone know if there were different fiberglass methods of construction for the hybrid metal structure hoods.

(cloth mesh on the early parts and maybe mat strand on the later ones...different vendors?)

That would take the versions of hoods from 4 to 6, if true.

Rich,
Like I told you the last time you asked me, this is in the new Registry along with vendors. Hopefully SAAC will get it printed soon.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »
There was also a later all-fiberglass with Louvers developed for Big-Block A/C cars...

Were there any louvered hoods used on non-a/c GT-500s ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2021, 05:57:35 PM »
Originally no, however a couple cars did end up with them under warranty as a replacement. After production, the first hoods that Ford ran out of were the smooth hoods. From then on louvered hoods were the only hoods available until they they were depleted. That is why we see some non AC cars with the louvered hoods.
Dave

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »
Originally no, however a couple cars did end up with them under warranty as a replacement. After production, the first hoods that Ford ran out of were the smooth hoods. From then on louvered hoods were the only hoods available until they they were depleted. That is why we see some non AC cars with the louvered hoods.
Dave

Thanks Dave..... the reason I asked is I looked at a brittney blue/parchment/4 speed a few weeks ago who swore his louvered hood was original to the car. Originally out of TX and somewhere in the 02800 number range.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 04:04:31 AM »
I think we had a thread here talking about this, I think some non a/c cars came with the louvered hoods. When they closed LAX some of the last cars ended up with the hoods as far as I recognize.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
Kent,
Some people want to believe their hoods were put on at the factory 54 years ago but have not done their homework. Yes, a couple of cars received them under warranty from a dealer but we have a good idea which cars they are.
The proof of which cars received louvered hoods at the Shelby comes from the factory Daily Poduction Sheets which noted by Vin. which cars received the louvered hoods. All of those cars had factory AC.
Dave

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »
Kent,
Some people want to believe their hoods were put on at the factory 54 years ago but have not done their homework. Yes, a couple of cars received them under warranty from a dealer but we have a good idea which cars they are.
The proof of which cars received louvered hoods at the Shelby comes from the factory Daily Poduction Sheets which noted by Vin. which cars received the louvered hoods. All of those cars had factory AC.
Dave
- and the mic is dropped . ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 02:23:17 AM »
Ok that is interesting, so all non ac cars with Louvered Hoods recieved them later by a dealer for warranty or by the owner? The Daily Production Sheets what else do they tell? Can you show us one? Its really interesting to see that, so maybe its easier to find out which parts are correct on a car and which not. Thanks for the information.

And Bob the Mic is always on, this a forum and a club to discuss and learn you should know that. Thanks you and all the other great people here for helping us every day with you knowledge.

Iīm 38 years now and I dont know that much like you maybe because I have lot of business going on, building fast cars and doing some restorations, but I already had and own some Shelbys and I will own some more in my life.

I think its important to have the mic always on, or the next generation will really drop the mic sell off their collections and after some years this all will be forgotten history. I really hope not.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 12:09:29 PM »
I assume most conversation is related to the GT500, but I do have a GT350 that received a new louvered hood under warranty according to paperwork received from Dave. The number is 2584. Replaced 9/25/67 three months after purchase.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »
Ok that is interesting, so all non ac cars with Louvered Hoods recieved them later by a dealer for warranty or by the owner? The Daily Production Sheets what else do they tell? Can you show us one? Its really interesting to see that, so maybe its easier to find out which parts are correct on a car and which not. Thanks for the information.

And Bob the Mic is always on, this a forum and a club to discuss and learn you should know that. Thanks you and all the other great people here for helping us every day with you knowledge.

Iīm 38 years now and I dont know that much like you maybe because I have lot of business going on, building fast cars and doing some restorations, but I already had and own some Shelbys and I will own some more in my life.

I think its important to have the mic always on, or the next generation will really drop the mic sell off their collections and after some years this all will be forgotten history. I really hope not.
Kent ,you don't understand the meaning of the mike drop in this context . As a interjection it is used to indicate that something has been very impressive or cannot be topped. It was not meant to demean your knowledge. Sorry you took it that way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 02:18:15 PM »

Kent,
Like you have done in the past, if you have a question about a car you own or a car you are considering, feel free to email me directly.
Dave

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 02:26:12 PM »
 :o sorry and thanks for clarifying this Bob, thats the problem sometimes with proverbs, to many differences to german. I only thought it sounded like my mic is dropped  ;D

Ok back to topic, so just guessing when Shelby closed LAX and they didnt had this or that part can we see in the daily production sheets what they used instead?

Some of us know that the comfortweave material was going out at the end of production and the seats came with the "normal" vinyl deluxe covers. So did that maybe also happend with other parts, so lets say a normal non ac hood was not there and they installed an ac hood on a non ac car?

p.s yes Dave we should talk about some more things, really interesting.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 02:29:07 PM by Kent »