Author Topic: RIP Bob Bondurant  (Read 4087 times)

6T6SHELBY

• View Profile
RIP Bob Bondurant
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:08:41 PM »
I was just watching the Petit LeMans race on tv and the announcers said that Bob passed away last night.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Bob Bondurant
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »
Hard racer clinched the '65 World GT Championship for USA and Shelby over Ferrari and helped a lot of people learn to drive better!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 10:19:30 PM »
I sent my (first) wife to his driving school in Monterey.

I can understand why he left the Shelby team to drive for Ferrari but I wished he would have stayed to at least after LeMans '67

He had some great stories. Always willing to take on a challenge. i was at some preview in  Michigan, at Black Lake (a huge paved surface at the GM Proving Grounds) and he bet he could get away from a few pursuers and he took off in some muscle car he did fend them for with only a crumpled fender...

RIP Bob

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 10:29:34 PM »
The very first vintage race I ever attended was over Labor Day weekend in 1988 in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.  I got to watch Bondurant win the big-bore feature race driving CSX3261 which was owned by Chek Beuf at the time.  Got to talk with Bob a few times over the years at the Shelby American Collection Christmas parties and fundraisers.  In 2012 I was able to get him to autograph the back of a photo that I had taken of him after he had won that race in Steamboat back in 1988.  Just look at the smile on his face!  He remembered winning that race and said it had been a lot of fun.  He will be missed by many that were lucky to know him.  Godspeed to one of SAI's greatest drivers!!! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 11:02:07 PM by 67411F--0100-ENG. »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 10:31:06 PM »
Godspeed Bob

RIP

~Earl J

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:58:01 PM by SFM5S000 »

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 12:38:33 AM »
I attended the Bonderant School in 1993 and during orientation, he drove up on the track in a green Lincoln Mk VIII. While parked, I a fount of "impressive" automotive knowledge, opined that I didn't think that air bag suspensions would be superior to a coil spring configuration. Well he said hop in and proceeded to click off a hot lap around the track. It was a revelation how poised and controlled the car felt.  I'm sure he educated more than one member of the great unwashed enthusiast masses.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »
Anyone who rode with Bob on several "introductory" hot laps around Sonoma (in the old days) or Firebird (later) in the driving school's 14-passenger Ford van can attest that he could make anything go fast around a race track.   

Bob got that thing up on (what felt like) two wheels, several times per lap at Sonoma.

Fun to watch the newbies gasp, scream, and sometimes puke, during the ride. 

RIP Bondo
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »
I was driving into one of the SAAC Conventions with my wife from the airport. I had a rental. Might have been in Charlotte with a Hertz Turbo T-bird? '86?

In front of us there was this commotion going on.

There was this young guy in a Mustang trying to pass this sedan. The sedan kept blocking him. I was right behind this watching it in amazement.

At some point there was a red light and the Mustang finally pulled up alongside the sedan and the driver was displaying every possible indication of rage, lack of respect and anger at the driver. It was a circus for sure.

I stayed close just out of curiosity.

I saw this guy in glasses with grey hair slouched down behind the wheel of the sedan. It was Bob. The Mustang driver, no idea, but he wasn't at the Convention.

I guess it was like Larry Johnson as Grandmama? He was from Charlotte too wasn't he?

Wifey was not impressed. "Your friends are stupid!"  ::)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:03:41 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 09:07:54 AM »
Back in the day during practice, it was joked that Bob would stay out on the track and only come in until he ran out of fuel...... I guess his tank finally hit E ...... RIP to one of the greatest American drivers ever.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:16:42 PM by oldcanuck »
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 09:31:14 AM »
Bob Bondurant is one of the greatest drivers Shelby American was fortunate enough to have in their garage.
Without his major contribution to the driving efforts we might not have the 1965 World Championship.

My deepest condolences to his family and anyone that was his friend.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
What a great, fun guy.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 01:25:56 PM »
I was driving into one of the SAAC Conventions with my wife from the airport. I had a rental. Might have been in Charlotte with a Hertz Turbo T-bird? '86?

In front of us there was this commotion going on.

There was this young guy in a Mustang trying to pass this sedan. The sedan kept blocking him. I was right behind this watching it in amazement.
He tried the same thing with my wife in our early Mini wagon (she knew who he was) - she was in a hurry to get registration open at Ontario. She ended up driving around him on the offramp. He gave her a thumbs up.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 01:34:04 PM »
Anyone who rode with Bob on several "introductory" hot laps around Sonoma (in the old days) or Firebird (later) in the driving school's 14-passenger Ford van can attest that he could make anything go fast around a race track.   

Bob got that thing up on (what felt like) two wheels, several times per lap at Sonoma.

Fun to watch the newbies gasp, scream, and sometimes puke, during the ride. 

RIP Bondo
Yep ,I had the honor of having the bejesus scared out of me on two occasions.It was pretty amazing. He was iconic ,RIP.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 12:01:03 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 01:58:56 PM »
God’s speed Bob Bondurant!

ChicagoChris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 06:17:54 PM »
Met Bob at the 2006 Boulder Museum Christmas party.
I was staying in the same hotel as most of the 'honored guests' and ending up giving Bob a ride back after the party-super nice guy.
From that conversation I took his driving course to qualify for my SCCA regional license in Feb 2007.
Great guy and he told funny stories.
RIP Bob.