Author Topic: " Putting The World on Notice " welcome to the new American Royalty  (Read 4834 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: " Putting The World on Notice " welcome to the new American Royalty
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 04:07:05 PM »
All kidding aside, we should all be proud that America has produced a world class sports super car at a very affordable entry price.

The C8, the Z06 and the GT3 are world class

Well GM has got to be grinning on this entire scenario. Ford has just screwed itself out of a response like we want to hear such as they have a Corvette competitor for the market.

They boxed themselves in with their ridiculous "exclusivity" of very limited production and very high price.

I don't think that GM considers the entire Corvette line as a loss leader? Apparently Ford would on a GT?

Ford's got a GT that they can't fit a V8 in and they want out of the V8 business anyway. VERY shallow thinking here.

I've got to give this to GM in this case. They just out maneuvered and out smarted Ford on this one. They didn't do so well on the Cosworth Vega though did they?

Chrysler will just continue to offer taxi cabs. It works for them so who am I to criticize. That's their market and they just never could compete with the other two.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »
Well GM has got to be grinning on this entire scenario. Ford has just screwed itself out of a response like we want to hear such as they have a Corvette competitor for the market.

I don't think that GM considers the entire Corvette line as a loss leader? Apparently Ford would on a GT?

Ford's got a GT that they can't fit a V8 in and they want out of the V8 business anyway. VERY shallow thinking here.

I've got to give this to GM in this case. They just out maneuvered and out smarted Ford on this one. They didn't do so well on the Cosworth Vega though did they?

Chrysler will just continue to offer taxi cabs. It works for them so who am I to criticize. That's their market and they just never could compete with the other two.
Ford has never had a car to compete against the Vette. They built the 55-7 Tbird to compete against the 53 Vette. But had already lost when the 56 Vette came out - so they turned it into their first personal luxury car. They brought it back almost 50 years later as a 2 seater with fiberglass body but when one of your main design criteria is getting 2 bags of golf clubs in the trunk you might as well not even print the brochure.

The latest Ford GT was not a loss leader. It was a profitable product at it's price point. Ford learned with the 05-6 and added the expected dealer markup to the base cost.

When the next gen Mustang comes out Ford will be out of the V8 business (except in heavy trucks F450^). They have completely laid down and accepted what the Green New Deal will bring to the auto business.

The Cosworth Vega was a much better car than the Mustang II.

Chrysler has been bastard child in the big 3 family since the 50s. Iacocca brought it back from death but it wasn't all his brilliance that did it. The US was coming out a recession and gas prices were high. People were looking for a cheap gas sipper and the K car fit the bill. The fact that .gov had basically put out the edict to buy Chrysler so they would be able to pay back the bailout didn't hurt. Iacocca's brilliant Minivan was a project he had worked on at Ford and they scrapped it after the Deuce canned him. Nobody wanted to push Lee's projects for fear of following him out the door.
The fact that FCA has been looking for a buyer for Dodge tells me they don't want to be in the Taxi business. They broke up into Jeep, RAM (trucks) and Dodge (cars vans) just so they could divest the money losing Dodge.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 09:38:15 PM »
+1 ^^^

And, when Stellantis finishes its current run of Hellcat-powered Dodges and Jeeps, that engine is going away.

What will they have left to sell to enthusiasts?  They're waaaaaaay behind in electric cars.  (Okay by me.  :P)   

There aren't as many taxi cabs as there use to be, either.  When's the last time you got in an Uber that was a Charger or 300? 

Ram and Jeep.  That's all there'll soon be.   
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 06:46:41 AM »

Ford has never had a car to compete against the Vette. They built the 55-7 Tbird to compete against the 53 Vette. But had already lost when the 56 Vette came out - so they turned it into their first personal luxury car. They brought it back almost 50 years later as a 2 seater with fiberglass body but when one of your main design criteria is getting 2 bags of golf clubs in the trunk you might as well not even print the brochure.

The latest Ford GT was not a loss leader. It was a profitable product at it's price point. Ford learned with the 05-6 and added the expected dealer markup to the base cost.

When the next gen Mustang comes out Ford will be out of the V8 business (except in heavy trucks F450^). They have completely laid down and accepted what the Green New Deal will bring to the auto business.

The Cosworth Vega was a much better car than the Mustang II.

Chrysler has been bastard child in the big 3 family since the 50s. Iacocca brought it back from death but it wasn't all his brilliance that did it. The US was coming out a recession and gas prices were high. People were looking for a cheap gas sipper and the K car fit the bill. The fact that .gov had basically put out the edict to buy Chrysler so they would be able to pay back the bailout didn't hurt. Iacocca's brilliant Minivan was a project he had worked on at Ford and they scrapped it after the Deuce canned him. Nobody wanted to push Lee's projects for fear of following him out the door.
The fact that FCA has been looking for a buyer for Dodge tells me they don't want to be in the Taxi business. They broke up into Jeep, RAM (trucks) and Dodge (cars vans) just so they could divest the money losing Dodge.

A Ford competitor to the Corvette at the GM PRICES would be a looser for Ford. It wouldn't fit into their concept and the way they have structured their position.

It's all suggesting to me that there are too many internal factions at each that need guidance to determine what each company is and where they are going?

I'm not sure that either of them can cover all bases at the same time?

Not that it is the intent but this concept of a modular system where you can plug any component into any vehicle doesn't look like it will work here with at least the Ford GT and the C8. I'd be shocked if there were EV versions of either running around being analyzed. A electric taxi cab from Mopar I'd believe.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:02:29 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »
 I couda,  shouda had a V8, but didn't...the end !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 01:58:25 PM »
And, when Stellantis finishes its current run of Hellcat-powered Dodges and Jeeps, that engine is going away.
These same laws/fees will effect every car maker - buy now or forever say woulda coulda shoulda.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/dodge-hellcat-v8s-discontinued-2023-government-fines

Dodge Hellcat V8s to die in 2023 due to government fines
Monster motor making way for electricity

"You can still meet emissions with these cars. You're going to pay a lot of compliance fines," Kuniskis said.

Along with being a drag on the automaker's fleet fuel economy, buyers of Hellcat-powered Challengers and Chargers currently have to pay a gas guzzler tax upward of $2,100 per car.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 04:29:37 PM »
Burn outs in the future will refer to overheated battery failure. 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 08:54:28 PM »
And you can do those burn outs in your own driveway

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
I would rather have an 05-06 FGT but they are not affordable. Wish Ford would build more of them.
I hear ya.  I always thought the FGT was out of my budget and then, when I was turning 50 I trained wrecked with a mid life crisis.  My mid life crisis didn't include a hot young chick.  It included my dream, an 05/06 FGT.

So I said f#ck it, I'm buying one, and I'm pretty happy I did. Seize the day as they say.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »
Gentlemen forget about the Ford GT and the Chevy C8 we have just been out run by some electric plaid 8.99 second p.o.s. 
Thank you for your time

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »
Gentlemen forget about the Ford GT and the Chevy C8 we have just been out run by some electric plaid 8.99 second p.o.s. 
Thank you for your time

Here's the problem. It isn't a POS. I look at it as just a big version of my slot cars from 1965.

I never could get those brakes to work right though.

I don't like the internal combustion engine in a car being blamed for the worlds problems.

40% of carbon emissions is still from coal burning. That's ridiculous.

ONLY 5% is being attributed to commercial air flights. How can that be only 5%? Every time one takes off it burns more fuel then I do in ten years.

Forcing the big three out of the internal combustion engine is a mistake. Introducing electric is inevitable and probably necessary strategically as well.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
Yes it is a big electric P. O. S. point of sale.....

Thank you for your time

Here's the problem. It isn't a POS. I look at it as just a big version of my slot cars from 1965.

I never could get those brakes to work right though.

I don't like the internal combustion engine in a car being blamed for the worlds problems.

40% of carbon emissions is still from coal burning. That's ridiculous.

ONLY 5% is being attributed to commercial air flights. How can that be only 5%? Every time one takes off it burns more fuel then I do in ten years.

Forcing the big three out of the internal combustion engine is a mistake. Introducing electric is inevitable and probably necessary strategically as well.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2021, 03:23:48 PM »
Now that's not exactly the same thing now is it?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2021, 04:42:25 PM »
..... I look at it as just a big version of my slot cars from 1965.

But it doesn't sound as good as a Pittman 85 with loosely set straight cut gears. Our local slot car shop had a drag strip that ran the length of one wall. Everything in the shop ran on golf cart batteries and at the drag strip you could dial in 6V, 12V, 18V or 24V. I epoxied the windings on the armature so the 6V motor wouldn't throw them on 24V.

http://slotblog.net/topic/41217-dc-85-and-85x/

http://slotblog.net/topic/41186-pittman-motors/

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2021, 04:52:22 PM »
..... I look at it as just a big version of my slot cars from 1965.

But it doesn't sound as good as a Pittman 85 with loosely set straight cut gears. Our local slot car shop had a drag strip that ran the length of one wall. Everything in the shop ran on golf cart batteries and at the drag strip you could dial in 6V, 12V, 18V or 24V. I epoxied the windings on the armature so the 6V motor wouldn't throw them on 24V.

http://slotblog.net/topic/41217-dc-85-and-85x/

http://slotblog.net/topic/41186-pittman-motors/

My Cox GT40 was uncontrollable. It would pop wheelies. I still have it and my Chaparral.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!