News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Idling down the gasoline before entrance to MCACN

Started by deathsled, November 21, 2021, 12:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kip9QCWcSmg

Had to drive around the area to take down 3/4 of a tank to a 1/4 tank as mandated (word du jour if not year) by the fire marshal.  Final idle before admittance.  The weather was and is perfect this year to actually drive the redhead over to the show instead of a flatbed.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67 GT350

Are you running LED taillights? Do many do that these days?
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

You worry too much about the switch. A Standard is fine. In fact it is probably them who make the Motorcraft version?

You actually had to idle down a 1/2 a tank in line? No one complained to you about, "what's wrong with your engine? Why does it sound like that?" People do that to me all of the time. Peasants!  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 21, 2021, 07:47:51 AM
Are you running LED taillights? Do many do that these days?
They are Wagner Halogens. But now you have me interested in the led idea. I really want to get a pair that have the Ford script.

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2021, 07:51:14 AM
You worry too much about the switch. A Standard is fine. In fact it is probably them who make the Motorcraft version?

You actually had to idle down a 1/2 a tank in line? No one complained to you about, "what's wrong with your engine? Why does it sound like that?" People do that to me all of the time. Peasants!  ::)
I drove it about a half hour due north on River Road until it dropped to half full and by the time I got back it was nearly at quarter full. Five minutes more of idling and that did the job.
Will stress test the headlights tonight going home. Lots of stores and strip malls to pull in on the way back if a problem arises.

shelbydoug

I have the led's in my '68 tail lamps. The bulbs alone fixed nothing.

The design of the '68s wiring is so critical to being grounded it's ridiculous.

You can clean all of the grounds and they are great for a month or so and then back to the same ole' same ole' of dim tail lights.

What fixed my issues was an under dash solid state plug in that changed how the flashing signals were sent to the rear.

It works great and is dependable but I lost the brake light, "quick sequential flash" of the original brake lights because the designer thought that was not original to the car.

It's amazing how some folks just get the wrong information of these things to begin with sometimes?

A '66 tail lamp is simpler in function but do not expect the led bulbs to do anything spectacular back there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

I was always under the impression that the fuller the tank is the safer it is from the issue in hand?? 1/4 tank has more fumes, thus as Bevis and Butthead would say, "FIRE"
Lets go Brandon!
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

We love your integrity,  but I know some people who have taken their cars to the Miami Convention Center and they also require your car run on fumes for display.

What worse is the day the show ends,  car running out of gas exiting or just 50 feet from nearest gas station. At the gas station you have 100 cars attempting  to get gas.

Here is the secret solution, pull the fuel gauge fuse.

Shazam your tank is now empty !

Quote from: deathsled on November 21, 2021, 12:57:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kip9QCWcSmg

Had to drive around the area to take down 3/4 of a tank to a 1/4 tank as mandated (word du jour if not year) by the fire marshal.  Final idle before admittance.  The weather was and is perfect this year to actually drive the redhead over to the show instead of a flatbed.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Don Johnston

As far as fire marshal inspections at interior venues, we have the same rules here, especially for the Motor Trend new car shows..  Quarter tank.  limit.  Inspectors know the "pull the fuse" trick" as the needle will fully rest below empty.  Most culprits are the new dealership cars that get turned away.  Also, outside gas caps have to be taped to keep fumes away.  Brass era vehicles have the most challenges as they emit fumes all over the place.  8)

shelbydoug

First it was the lawyers with limiting the high speed events.

Now they're back with just showing?

Is it all worth it? Why not just put bounties on all the lawyers? It would be fun to see them try to run?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 21, 2021, 11:44:38 AM
I was always under the impression that the fuller the tank is the safer it is from the issue in hand?? 1/4 tank has more fumes, thus as Bevis and Butthead would say, "FIRE"
Lets go Brandon!
Nothing more dangerous than an empty gas tanker bouncing down the road.

LED lights are a PIA. They don't draw enough amps to make the turn signal flasher work right.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2021, 04:49:48 PM

Is it all worth it? Why not just put bounties on all the lawyers? It would be fun to see them try to run?
I would run.  For a while.  Until the mob persisted and then...Kenosha hat trick time....
To date, I don't own any guns.  But then again, I just applied for my firearm owner's card this week and can expect an 18 month delay here in Illinois until I get the card.  By statute they are to provide one in 30 days.  A civil war could come and go before I'd be able to arm myself.  I would like to get an AR-13 (lol just kidding, I mean AR-15) but Cook County will not allow me to own one.  I would need to keep it in adjoining DuPage County.  I am a good shot with a rifle.  Not so much with a pistol.  Went a little gun crazy shooting anything I could get my hands on when I went to law school.  Couldn't wrap my head around how easy it was to shoot real guns.  Not something a Canadian was familiar with.  That and x rated movies.  (We had a censor board in Ontario, Canada growing up there.)  Moving to Carbondale Illinois for law school was a culture shock to me.  But now I'm 'Merican and need mah guhn.
I like the design and look of the AR-13, I mean AR-15.  It just looks like the perfect weapon to me.
Interesting video on same:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6GEy_5jkI
Part of me wants a gun.  Other part of me says don't do it.  Rather conflicted about it all.  Must be the goodie two shoes Canadian upbringing.  Need to slap that down. 
However, part of the danger of having any gun in the house is that a family member could use it on you one day.  You never know what is in your future and what anyone is capable of doing.

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 21, 2021, 09:26:55 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on November 21, 2021, 11:44:38 AM
Lets go Brandon!
Nothing more dangerous than an empty gas tanker bouncing down the road.

LED lights are a PIA. They don't draw enough amps to make the turn signal flasher work right.
Okay, passing on the LED idea.  Going to get Ford script lights.  And install a relay.  But so far the switch I installed is good.
As an addendum, they never checked my gas tank level.  I got no sticker from the fire marshal on my headlight either.  I got passed over.  Sometimes I think I am invisible.

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on November 21, 2021, 10:21:42 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2021, 04:49:48 PM

I would run.  For a while.  Until the mob persisted and then...Kenosha hat trick time....
To date, I don't own any guns.  But then again, I just applied for my firearm owner's card this week and can expect an 18 month delay here in Illinois until I get the card.  By statute they are to provide one in 30 days.  A civil war could come and go before I'd be able to arm myself.  I would like to get an AR-13 (lol just kidding, I mean AR-15) but Cook County will not allow me to own one.  I would need to keep it in adjoining DuPage County.  I am a good shot with a rifle.  Not so much with a pistol.  Went a little gun crazy shooting anything I could get my hands on when I went to law school.  Couldn't wrap my head around how easy it was to shoot real guns.  Not something a Canadian was familiar with.  That and x rated movies.  (We had a censor board in Ontario, Canada growing up there.)  Moving to Carbondale Illinois for law school was a culture shock to me.  But now I'm 'Merican and need mah guhn.
I like the design and look of the AR-13, I mean AR-15.  It just looks like the perfect weapon to me.
Interesting video on same:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6GEy_5jkI
Part of me wants a gun.  Other part of me says don't do it.  Rather conflicted about it all.  Must be the goodie two shoes Canadian upbringing.  Need to slap that down. 
However, part of the danger of having any gun in the house is that a family member could use it on you one day.  You never know what is in your future and what anyone is capable of doing.

There is a philosophy out there that NO ONE is without sin. Some try to comfort others by offering the comfort of confession.

Some actions by others are considered beyond human forgiveness and can't be offered absolution.

Some, including some lawyers, attempt to preach and legislate holiness to others. Don't do that and you will not be considered a jerk by most.

I don't see anything that you've done wrong here but if it matters, I forgive you for your sins? Especially because you have a '66 Hertz. That indicates a higher order of understanding few others will recognize!  8)

Challenging the spirits in the graveyards to a race is kinda' interesting too.  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!