News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

New excited owner, Hoovie's Garage, with a burst bubble thanks to you all

Started by Hoovies Garage, November 22, 2021, 02:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Just drive she said"...Like an old car with an am radio:enjoy the ride,ignore the static...Have fun!!(it would be hard not to with that thing IMHO ;D)

Side-Oilers

Hoovie: Welcome to the forum.  Hopefully you will become a SAAC member too.   

Doing this gives you more cred (in my mind) than just some other guy I've never heard of with a YouTube channel about cars.  Most (not all) of them are pure crap, and rife with wrong information.  That doesn't help our hobby.  Or how people think of car enthusiasts.

The fact that you seem to do a lot of camera-mugging made it look to me as if you were one of the many of the dufuses out there.   Perhaps I was premature in my opinion.

It is cool that you bought the Shelby.  SAAC needs all the younger people we can get.  (That's true for any automotive hobby, these days.) 

Please do be active on the forum.  Ask, listen, learn.  There is such a huge wealth of Shelby and Ford knowledge on here, it's staggering. I've owned one or more of just about every muscle car there is.  SAAC is tops.   

And, we're (about 98%) a nice bunch of guys.  There are the occasional hissy fits, royal posturing, and "meet you after school under the bleachers" type of braggadocio, but if you're polite and respectful (and don't pretend that you know it all) you will likely become a well-accepted member of the group.

Having a good sense of humor helps too. Quite a few on here are masters of funny stories, quips, ironies, puns, and one-liners.  Yeah, we mostly post that stuff in The Forum.  So, if you want some lighter conversation, that's a good place to go. 

As for the totality of SAAC, we thrive on anything Ford that's...
Concours Restored
All-Original
Day Two
Day Eleventeen
One-Offs
Race Cars
Barn Finds
Basket Cases
Starting/Proceeding/Finishing Restoration
And more.

Plus, virtually anything you can imagine that has to do with Carroll Shelby.  (One Shelby fanatic stole CS's underwear and has it framed in his house.)

We love the history, the people, the events, the stories, the fables, the locations then & now, the most obscure parts, and even precisely knowing where the men's room was located at every Shelby facility.     

Yes, I'm a Boomer, as are most of the guys on here.  I don't take that as an insult. I wear it as a badge of honor. 

Hoovie, hang around a while and get to be a part of the Shelby world. You might find that we're not such a bad bunch of old geezers.

Peel out.... 8)    Van
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

6T6/7

It's important, vital perhaps, to have younger enthusiasts in order to maintain value and possibly long term existence of these cars. Welcome to the forum.
'66 6S379, '67 GT350 #1661

shelbydoug

I have no problem in him being here but he needs to stay out of my reserved parking space.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 22, 2021, 04:41:38 PM
Hoovie: Welcome to the forum.  Hopefully you will become a SAAC member too.   

Doing this gives you more cred (in my mind) than just some other guy I've never heard of with a YouTube channel about cars.  Most (not all) of them are pure crap, and rife with wrong information.  That doesn't help our hobby.  Or how people think of car enthusiasts.
I'll ditto what Van has said..
But please check your front suspension - those don't look like coilovers - in your 2nd video.
As for me I've been in SAAC since 1975 - Around Mustangs since 65. Was a minor hack for Petersen and McMullen as a tech editor building project cars. Mostly my own when I figured out the gig would get me free parts. Later did some videos for Ford via one of their suppliers.
I prefer these:
Day Two
Day Eleventeen
One-Offs
Race Cars
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

S7MS427

Hoovie - Yup, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.  I've been an owner since 1977 and my dad bought out Hertz car in November 1978.  I'm a boomer too and don't take offense if I'm called one.

So stick around and soak up whatever information you can.  There is almost nothing that can't be answered about Cobras, Shelby Mustangs, GT40s, Tigers, or Boss Mustangs by this group.

Glad to hear that you were able to purchase your dream car.  Enjoy the hell out of it.  That is what it was made for.  And welcome to the group.  Not such a bad bunch of guys once you get to know them.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

427hunter

Quote from: Hoovies Garage on November 22, 2021, 02:07:33 AM
Imagine the excitement of buying a dream car that was so far out of reach a few years ago, and the reason you own it is solely because of a goofy YouTube channel that makes it possible. You end up joining the club (paying) and then updating the registry with excitement, AND THEN joining this forum and start reading things about yourself like this:

Quote from: honker on November 21, 2021, 10:12:15 AM
Why do I think of Pee Wee Herman  ::)
I actually grew up watching Pee-Wee, so the facial expressions may have been an influence.

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 21, 2021, 11:53:08 AM
One last thing :

Karnac the Magificent predicts this vehicle will be For Sale in the near future

For you? $250,000! Might subscribe to Ed MacMahon's old friends Publisher's Clearing House and it's all yours!

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 21, 2021, 04:33:31 PM
Gee, it's too much car for this snowflake to know how to drive. 

Apparently, it takes more than a goofy expression and jumping around like a hyperactive child, to be able to handle a vintage race car.

My 1970s group of car buddies would call a guy like this a "F***-Stick."
This seems like the type of person that would actually get mad when someone says OK boomer, as the reference aptly applies.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2021, 04:47:17 PM

Ah, leave him alone.

He learned to drive in a video game. He needs to come to grips with reality, like for one thing, "gee, I could get killed driving this thing?"

Snowflakes melt and disappear. He will too.
I am not going anywhere. My influence is growing at about the same rate as your prostate.

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 21, 2021, 05:33:01 PM
He's just one more example of  "the dumbing down of America" in action.
I do call it "the dumbest automotive channel in all of YouTube" proudly. It seem like your generation is doing a pretty good job running things, am I right?

I have to say, I'm really disappointed to see this seems to be the culture of SAAC members. I am a goofy guy, and it is a car that I don't feel qualified to drive, even though I have tracked some, been to Bondurandt's school a long time ago (RIP), and have managed not wreck anything, but really guys? Should I not take it personally because I'm not old enough to have bought mine from a newspaper ad in 1970 for $2500?

The saac forum is garbage - the registry is worth it's weight in gold.

A brief look at the offenders past posts will show you they have nothing in life but their opinions.

Enjoy the car!

P.S. As stated above beware the people here, avoid any business dealing with them.   

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

TJinSA

Hoosier, I found your animated enthusiasm of the car entertaining. SO many in the forum have had these cars LITERALLY for generations, and perhaps it is the familiarity with them that blinds us from the wonder of discovery of things outside our wheelhouse but clearly planted in history, if not fame and legend.

Congratulations on your entry into the aura that's Shelby American.
Tom Kubler
6S296

T-Bone68

Good for you Hoovie for calling us out.  Give it another chance and try to make a yearly SAAC conference.  You'll find a lot of guys psyched to see a young guy enthusiastic about a classic Shelby and happy to help in any way they can.

Kent

Hoovie its pretty easy with this forum, its like your Shelby, you start it and it runs rough and wild, some people get afraid of this and want their Honda back, and some want more of it, then you learn and learn from it and you become a better and faster driver/ owner than ever before.

Or like a lot of people in your age you will know its not the right thing for you, then you sell/ flip it and make some $, end of the shelby story.

Just my 2 cents stay active here and learn from the people who knows best and then take care of your Shelby. This is a place where you find a lot of unique, knowledgable and special persons with great memories and history to share, they are a little bit like their cars.

Welcome to the Shelby World.

Enjoy it.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427hunter on November 22, 2021, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: Hoovies Garage on November 22, 2021, 02:07:33 AM
Imagine the excitement of buying a dream car that was so far out of reach a few years ago, and the reason you own it is solely because of a goofy YouTube channel that makes it possible. You end up joining the club (paying) and then updating the registry with excitement, AND THEN joining this forum and start reading things about yourself like this:

Quote from: honker on November 21, 2021, 10:12:15 AM
Why do I think of Pee Wee Herman  ::)
I actually grew up watching Pee-Wee, so the facial expressions may have been an influence.

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 21, 2021, 11:53:08 AM
One last thing :

Karnac the Magificent predicts this vehicle will be For Sale in the near future

For you? $250,000! Might subscribe to Ed MacMahon's old friends Publisher's Clearing House and it's all yours!

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 21, 2021, 04:33:31 PM
Gee, it's too much car for this snowflake to know how to drive. 

Apparently, it takes more than a goofy expression and jumping around like a hyperactive child, to be able to handle a vintage race car.

My 1970s group of car buddies would call a guy like this a "F***-Stick."
This seems like the type of person that would actually get mad when someone says OK boomer, as the reference aptly applies.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 21, 2021, 04:47:17 PM

Ah, leave him alone.

He learned to drive in a video game. He needs to come to grips with reality, like for one thing, "gee, I could get killed driving this thing?"

Snowflakes melt and disappear. He will too.
I am not going anywhere. My influence is growing at about the same rate as your prostate.

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 21, 2021, 05:33:01 PM
He's just one more example of  "the dumbing down of America" in action.
I do call it "the dumbest automotive channel in all of YouTube" proudly. It seem like your generation is doing a pretty good job running things, am I right?

I have to say, I'm really disappointed to see this seems to be the culture of SAAC members. I am a goofy guy, and it is a car that I don't feel qualified to drive, even though I have tracked some, been to Bondurandt's school a long time ago (RIP), and have managed not wreck anything, but really guys? Should I not take it personally because I'm not old enough to have bought mine from a newspaper ad in 1970 for $2500?

The saac forum is garbage - the registry is worth it's weight in gold.

A brief look at the offenders past posts will show you they have nothing in life but their opinions.

Enjoy the car!

P.S. As stated above beware the people here, avoid any business dealing with them.

Well, if we are going to get into self discovery here, what exactly is your contribution?

Seems to me that you've been just a little bit hostile yourself?  Explain to me who here exactly wants to do business with you? I'm not selling anything. Are you?

Hoftie put in his initial complaint and then ran away and hasn't been seen or heard of since.

I'm seeing this as purely an ego thing on his part. If he feels that he's too much of a celebrity to participate because we won't kiss his ass for being here then he truly doesn't get it and absolutely would be better off somewhere else?

He's not going to get a medal for being here and SAAC doesn't issue participation trophys like Little League does.

The door is open to all that want to participate or choose not to. It's up to you, just don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out. NO ONE is going to feel sorry for you.

Snowflakes just don't last long in the light of day. That's a fact.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

If he had purchased them car earlier in the year I would have contacted him to include in the just completed "Cars of Hertz" Invitational at the MCACN show. It  would have been a great addition to other "Rent a Racers"
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

CSX 4133

Hoovie here's an invite since you purchased a race version of the Hertz Gt350. This coming December 1st thru the 5th there will be several hundred vintage race cars competing at Sebring International Raceway. At least four of the entries are Shelby GT350's, this would be the perfect place and time to get first hand knowledge of what it takes to run in vintage racing "straight from the horses mouth".

I realize this is short notice, but if you are serious of eventually racing your Hertz this would be a prime opportunity for you. Hope to see you at Sebring, come by Olthoff Racing and look for the blue Shelby GT350 #74 I'll buy you a beer.

Steven

427heaven

Nice of you to show the young man, how vintage racing is done. This might be a time to reflect if thats the path he chooses for entertainment value. There is a lot more then meets the eye, to hustle a race car around ANY track, even if you have the check book to pay for it. Best of luck to all parties in this adventure.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427heaven on November 23, 2021, 10:20:10 AMThere is a lot more then meets the eye, to hustle a race car around ANY track, even if you have the check book to pay for it. Best of luck to all parties in this adventure.
I suspect he may have a lack of restraint to be a successful hustler of cars around a track. If one hops around that much just showing his car to his wrench can you imagine the donuts he'll want to do every time he passes a spec Miata on the track? It also takes a lot of commitment to toss a couple grand to the wind every weekend you want to run a vintage race.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless