News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

8T03S187655 68 GT500 vert on BaT

Started by shelbymann1970, November 24, 2021, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69mach351w

Quote from: Tired Sheep on November 26, 2021, 08:04:43 AM
This schizophrenic forum should come to a consensus once and for all if its okay to dissect a car. Especially one that is currently for sale and the current owner did not ask for input on?
Yea, some cut up a 66 Shelby very bad a few weeks ago and the owner came on and set them straight pretty quick, LOL !!

Shelby4Life

Strong money for a non KR, no AC, 68 GT500 Rag with a mangled roll bar.
1967 Sprint 289 Auto, Deluxe, AC.
1967 S Code GTA Deluxe, AC.
2004 Gated 6-speed Ferrari 360.

Milo

Let me get this straight - a non-matching numbers (if it were, they'd surely know and prove it) automatic convertible with some obvious, albeit easy to fix, mistakes sold for a number greater than Hagerty's valuation of a concours #1 (4-speed) car...

I mean, I've always felt these cars were undervalued, but wow. I'd love to hear the more experienced members thoughts on this sale and the overall market conditions of shelbys.
1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

CharlesTurner

Hard to explain, most of us could only guess as to why the car went that high.  Maybe the color had something to do with it?

I think if anyone looks across the board at early Mustang values (especially fastbacks), it's obvious that the market is quite strong now.  A rising tide floats all boats, so it's logical that the higher value cars like Shelby's would go up also.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

5s386

Does the right front top corner, where the apron and radiator support meet, look like a weld? (by the battery) I don't remember my 68 having two holes in the center of the top radiator support.

Tired Sheep

It appears the support has been changed or modified. It appears to have grinder or cut off wheel marks on the drivers shock tower. The passenger apron is questionable. I don't see any tilt steering hoses. Would be interesting to see if there's a can? Both front fenders are service parts. It appears both quarters have been replaced and probably the floor pan. The console is a reproduction, the cheap export brace is hideous.

The detailing on the car is horrible. I have a friend that could find something wrong in almost every picture.  Maybe someone just wants one really badly? It's pretty and sometimes that's all it takes. The forum tends to look long term investment and for correctness. Buyers can be careless and have short term outlooks.

It's also interesting, the door tag doesn't match the Marti report exactly.  The extra letter on the interior code is there and not on Marti?? 

This car pretty much demands pre restoration pictures. Especially when you have original Shelby parts swapped out on this scale. Bottom line...The quality of the restoration is not a very high standard for a 200k car.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Tired Sheep on November 26, 2021, 08:04:43 AM
This schizophrenic forum should come to a consensus once and for all if its okay to dissect a car. Especially one that is currently for sale and the current owner did not ask for input on?
Some ask about a car and some respond. If you have an issue with my post above well it is what it is. To be clear none of this other than the roll bar discussion has been mentioned on the auction. When you sell a car in a public forum expect people to critique it. I am very careful what I post on the actual auctions. After going over my friend's house and "discected it" as his 68 Shelby vert with no interior in it this car at auction would make me run from it on the roll bar alone. Unless someone that is a judge expert can tell me some cars had their roll bars WELDED in wrong something is going on here. Car sold for 200K. Guess comments didn't hurt it at all. We learn more about these cars and hopefully prevent prospective Shelby owners from getting burned by discussing these cars.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Milo on November 26, 2021, 07:37:22 PM
Let me get this straight - a non-matching numbers (if it were, they'd surely know and prove it) automatic convertible with some obvious, albeit easy to fix, mistakes sold for a number greater than Hagerty's valuation of a concours #1 (4-speed) car...

I mean, I've always felt these cars were undervalued, but wow. I'd love to hear the more experienced members thoughts on this sale and the overall market conditions of shelbys.
Roll bars are welded in and not an easy fix. Most of the other flaws are.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 27, 2021, 08:44:09 AM

That still needs to be explained to me. I can't imagine how this could happen. The roll bar base can only fit to the floor pan one way?

I think though that Branda sells a replacement bar with no foot pad
firm predetermined mounting location device? (Happy now?)That would make me even wonder if this car is a rebody?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Tired Sheep

In my opinion, which is always correct to me, you guys are fixated on the trivial. One only has to read the posts to see its a marginal restoration. Just because the restorer didn't reinstall the bar correctly does not reflect on the history of car. That's something no one has mentioned in this thread.

Everyone wants to point out one funny looking tree. Look at the forest!

There are literally dozens of things that are incorrect, why does poor assembly surprise anyone? Seriously it could be fixed in a couple of hours. You can not reverse other things which have been conveyed like replacement quarter panels and other sheet metal parts

There are no "feet" on convertible roll bar. Its just a matter of tacking it in the wrong place after the ends are shoved into the brace at the bottom. It appears the car has a lot of sheet metal replaced.

The "r" word should not be speculated- only mentioned when there is proof. As an esteemed member, you should reprimand yourself.

Hans

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 27, 2021, 09:16:23 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 27, 2021, 08:44:09 AM

That still needs to be explained to me. I can't imagine how this could happen. The roll bar base can only fit to the floor pan one way?

I think though that Branda sells a replacement bar with no foot pad? That would make me even wonder if this car is a rebody?
I took pics of my friend's disassembled car yesterday. The bar is welded into a floor bracket and 2 side brackets on each side.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Tired Sheep on November 27, 2021, 09:36:31 AM
In my opinion, which is always correct to me, you guys are fixated on the trivial. One only has to read the posts to see its a marginal restoration. Just because the restorer didn't reinstall the bar correctly does not reflect on the history of car. That's something no one has mentioned in this thread.

Everyone wants to point out one funny looking tree. Look at the forest!

There are literally dozens of things that are incorrect, why does poor assembly surprise anyone? Seriously it could be fixed in a couple of hours. You can not reverse other things which have been conveyed like replacement quarter panels and other sheet metal parts

There are no "feet" on convertible roll bar. Its just a matter of tacking it in the wrong place after the ends are shoved into the brace at the bottom. It appears the car has a lot of sheet metal replaced.

The "r" word should not be speculated- only mentioned when there is proof. As an esteemed member, you should reprimand yourself.

Hans
see my pics-not an easy fix.  most of the other things yes easy fixes. Did someone mention a rebody? I was thinking extensive rust repair if you had to cut out the roll bar. pics A and B I posted show that you could cut out the bar off the brackets  and reweld it into the SAME spots no problem. It would be hard to weld it off location looking at the 3 brackets and how the bar mounts.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

If you have a 68 Shelby convertible that has the roll bar exterior cover damaged for one reason or another the typically way to fix it properly is to replace the roll bar with one from another car. Just one possible explanation for roll bar rewelding that doesn't include the "R" word.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 27, 2021, 11:29:45 AM
If you have a 68 Shelby convertible that has the roll bar exterior cover damaged for one reason or another the typically way to fix it properly is to replace the roll bar with one from another car. Just one possible explanation for roll bar rewelding that doesn't include the "R" word.
Bob, I looked over the brackets in my friend's car yesterday and saw how I'd take it out if I had to by rubber wheeling the welds(it will not be taken out). Well to me it appears the brackets after taking out the roll bar it would be real hard to weld the new bar in wrong as the brackets provide the alignment unless someone removed the original brackets too. Am I wrong? See my pics above?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 27, 2021, 12:11:07 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 27, 2021, 11:29:45 AM
Bob, I looked over the brackets in my friend's car yesterday and saw how I'd take it out if I had to by rubber wheeling the welds(it will not be taken out). Well to me it appears the brackets after taking out the roll bar it would be real hard to weld the new bar in wrong as the brackets provide the alignment unless someone removed the original brackets too. Am I wrong? See my pics above?
Don't underestimate what others can or can not do. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby