Author Topic: VIN with a missing number  (Read 3354 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
VIN with a missing number
« on: November 26, 2021, 10:01:25 PM »
Looking for some help/ideas on what to do with a 67 fastback that has an unreadable VIN. Long story short my brother bought a 67 fastback shell in 1987. No parts on it. No title, in PA. Being 22 at the time he never did anything with the title issue. Made the car a roller and had an engine and trans in it. It has sat until now. I started looking into getting a title and discovered the one digit in the consecutive unit number was stamped so bad you cannot read it. You can just see the bottom edge. Both fender aprons are stamped the same way. So now we don't know what the VIN really is. Reached out to Kevin Marty and told them what was going on. When I spoke with them on the phone it sounded like it would be no problem to figure it out knowing what color the car was and what engine was in it. Sent them a picture of the VIN and they instantly said sorry we can't help you. So now I am thinking it's stolen or something. Had the police check all the possible combinations it could be and came up with it is not stolen but no previous registration info on any of them. Not sure what to do now. Don't really want it to end up with some state issued reconstructed VIN tag on it but that might be my only choice.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: VIN with a missing number
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 07:42:26 AM »
First off I am not surprised Marti indicated “they” could help and then did not.

Police said that the vehicle was never registered in PA or entire USA based on all the possible combinations it could be?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 09:37:49 AM »
Finally build that track car?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 09:40:12 AM »
For some reason I've seen more '67s with front clips then any other year. Easily a dozen or more.

I say just avoid it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 09:52:19 AM »
Just a thought or two

Is it worth the investment to purchase ten Marti reports. One for each possible iteration of the VIN. Would the visible clues on the shell possibly assist with matching the shell to a report. I.E. colour or date codes on sheetmetal?

Also, and I don’t know how you would go about it, can you get the metal scanned in some way? I am thinking I have seen people discover hidden stampings (due to damage) with some sort of scan

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »
Exactly. Less than $300 and you would have the ability to figure it out.

Just a thought or two

Is it worth the investment to purchase ten Marti reports. One for each possible iteration of the VIN. Would the visible clues on the shell possibly assist with matching the shell to a report. I.E. colour or date codes on sheetmetal?

Also, and I don’t know how you would go about it, can you get the metal scanned in some way? I am thinking I have seen people discover hidden stampings (due to damage) with some sort of scan
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
First off I am not surprised Marti indicated “they” could help and then did not.

Police said that the vehicle was never registered in PA or entire USA based on all the possible combinations it could be?

They ran all of the combinations and did not come up with any of them being currently registered.  I believe they meant in the country.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 09:59:28 AM »
For some reason I've seen more '67s with front clips then any other year. Easily a dozen or more.

I say just avoid it.

It has the original front clip. Just a poorly stamped VIN from the factory.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Just a thought or two

I was considering buying the reports for all of them. As far as I know there are no other hidden VINs , just the front aprons.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
If the '67 Registrar is not willing to help you out in determining the Ford number as a potential buyer then I would suggest that there is more to it then you think and just avoid the car altogether.

On my '67, I can't speak for all, the Ford VIN is stamped on both aprons.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:13:42 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »
Just a thought.... since it is fairly close to the northern border, maybe it originally came out of Canada ?

Also..... isn't there somewhere else on a '67 shell where the factory hid a VIN number for law enforcement ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

GT350DAVE

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
I believe he is referring to a non Shelby. Marti has factory records and could easily assist if he wanted to. Ordering the reports could also get him there.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
If the '67 Registrar is not willing to help you out in determining the Ford number as a potential buyer then I would suggest that there is more to it then you think and just avoid the car altogether.

On my '67, I can't speak for all, the Ford VIN is stamped on both aprons.

It belongs to my brother, just trying to get a title.

Blackcar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »
No door tag clues ?

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
It was just a shell, no doors.