News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby American at the big AAMA Show in Feb 1967

Started by SFM66H, November 29, 2021, 06:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM66H

I found this ad at MCACN a couple weeks ago. It was from a magazine / publication called "SPEED & CUSTOM DEALER" in January 1967. At first, I thought it was an advertisement for the (perhaps) better known event that took place at Dodger Stadium in 1967, which we all know ended up being the precursor to SEMA.

But I didn't know about "the big AAMA show in New York's Coliseum on February 6th-9th, 1967" in booth 1825. Does anyone here know about that show, even what AAMA stands for? My Google searches were unsuccessful.

But it's a really cool ad:

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

SFM6S087

I think AAMA stands for American Automobile Manufacturers Association. Can't find anything about this particular event.

Steve

98SVT - was 06GT

Tim Foraker was the parts manager. https://mexicanmustangregistry.com/shelby-de-mexico-by-eduardo-velazquez/
https://darkhorseracing.net/south_of_the_boarder.htm

Timothy Foraker arranged for a meeting with Carroll Shelby, and it's a meeting Eduardo remembers very well. "When I was shown into Carroll's office I was taken aback by the earthiness, simplicity and the intelligence of Shelby. We became friends immediately and we had a long conversation. He was interested in knowing the way we distributed to the Ford dealers in Mexico our terms, shipping policies, the most accepted products, and even how we approached the parts managers, to convince them of the value of our products. Carroll gave me a lot advice to that end, and invited me to dinner to his house that evening" (Velazquez would later relate that they would load up the company's VW Micro-Bus with Cobra parts, and drive all around Mexico selling to Ford Dealers directly out of the back of the bus. Ed.)

I doubt the original SEMA show that Bob Petersen put together in Jan 67 had much of a printed program. There were less than 100 vendors and only about 3,000 people attended.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless