News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Anyone recognize this trunk mat?

Started by 68blk500c, December 29, 2021, 09:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blk500c

It has much darker (charcoal grey--almost black) bristle type fabric.  Hole for gas filler neck is 6" on center from rear edge, much like a 1969 gas tank dimension.

Appreciate your help identifying it.
Don

J_Speegle

How close is the material to the felt mats used in 68?

The fact that the passenger side is so long and there is a round hole in that side is interesting as well as may be the key to what it may have been made for or what it came out of
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68blk500c

The material is very similar to those "other" 68 trunk mats (non-speckled).  Wheel well contours are different than the Mustang mats that I've seen.  The fact that is for a rear/tail panel mounted gas filler neck should narrow it down.  What other Fords had that?  Cougar for sure.  Maybe Maverick?  Can't be very many designed like that.

Harris Speedster

I do not see the cut risers for the trunk floor brackets that also serve as back support for the rear bumper brackets.
Maybe I am missing something?
I believe all mustangs had the risers?
The length of the mat that goes rear word past the trunk drop pockets, appear to be excessively long?
respectfully
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

J_Speegle

The "notches" for the rear bumper brackets in the mats would depend on the year, type and supplier of the mat. Most didn't have a notch like many of the early reproductions and the silly little pads to fill in those notches that were included with them. Most applications were not wide enough to go over the passenger side trunk floor or the area around the passenger side rear bumper attachment bracket
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

I seen mats like that in other non mustang ford cars and i think the hole on rh side was for  spare  hold down J-bolt  access to the trunk floor hook.

68blk500c

A fellow '68 guy directed me to the Auto Custom carpet website where they show an image for a '71-75 Maverick which matches the pattern in my photo.  So, anyone out there with a high dollar Maverick may want to jump all over this one.

Thank you Mike!