Author Topic: 5R002 - Kissimmee - 2022  (Read 5717 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5R002 - Kissimmee - 2022
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 09:03:52 PM »
In my mind, a perfectly restored car becomes merely "yard art" when it is considered too nice to drive.
But not too nice that it should not be worshipped as a Shelby American religious artifact.  If it were me, I would take it out to Road America on the occasional clear, sunny day and drive it on an empty track and enjoy the drive unimpeded with other race cars threatening a wreck at every apex.  Then I would take it home, wash it and then make some offering to the God of Combustion.  You could create a whole religious sect around 5r002.  Am I being serious?  Maybe not.  But then again, maybe I am...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 10:05:29 PM »
I have never understood why someone would want something but not ever use it as it was intended to be used? Why buy a race car and not race it, why have a supermodel and have her dress up in a tent? Why order a steak and tease yourself with smelling it and looking at it, but not enjoying it? I realize there is some history hear but there are many owners that race Much more expensive vehicles around the world like GOODWOOD and others... and bring out their 20- 30- 50 million dollar cars for a good time!

Don't have to understand it, just have to have an open mind that not everyone is the same and owner's can do whatever they want with their cars.  There is no right or wrong.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Doug B

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »
Already planned to be there - now I'll need to remember to bring my checkbook!
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd non-A/C
07 Shelby GT500 #4022

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 10:15:58 PM »
The exhaust note on 5r002 is so pleasantly obnoxious to me.  I love it.  Had it as my wake up alarm for a while.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 12:19:26 AM »
Do you think the new owner will return it back to a Mustang before Shelby did his magic to the car?  Wait, has that already by done?   How about maybe take it back to the Mexico carport configuration, take it on tour and then restore back again?  I cannot imagine anyone doing that either, but we have seen crazier. ;)

It is an awesome car. I love the history.  I hope who ever buys, shares with all of us.  John Atzbach was great care taker and shared generously.

Be well

Cory
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:24:05 AM by 6s1640 »

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 07:27:12 AM »
Do you think the new owner will return it back to a Mustang before Shelby did his magic to the car?  Wait, has that already by done?   How about maybe take it back to the Mexico carport configuration, take it on tour and then restore back again?  I cannot imagine anyone doing that either, but we have seen crazier. ;)

It is an awesome car. I love the history.  I hope who ever buys, shares with all of us.  John Atzbach was great care taker and shared generously.

Be well

Cory

I heard they will be cloning Ken Miles and asking him to recreate some of the famous shots with the car.   :)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 08:15:52 AM »
I have never understood why someone would want something but not ever use it as it was intended to be used? Why buy a race car and not race it, why have a supermodel and have her dress up in a tent? Why order a steak and tease yourself with smelling it and looking at it, but not enjoying it? I realize there is some history hear but there are many owners that race Much more expensive vehicles around the world like GOODWOOD and others... and bring out their 20- 30- 50 million dollar cars for a good time!

Don't have to understand it, just have to have an open mind that not everyone is the same and owner's can do whatever they want with their cars.  There is no right or wrong.

totaly agree , it's the same thing for other decision in life, different people, different choice...

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »

Be well

Cory

I heard they will be cloning Ken Miles and asking him to recreate some of the famous shots with the car.   :)
That would be an excellent idea.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
I might buy a lottery ticket. If I win I’ll be on the phone buying this one
P.S. I will drive it, maybe not far, but I’ll at least give it one more fling before sitting back and enjoying it.
By the way if you haven’t seen the work that was done on 003 than you must withhold comments. You can spend days just looking at the car and still not see it all.
Fantastic job done by a lot of dedicated people, a big Thank You for preserving history for the rest of us to enjoy
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 06:36:00 PM »

^^^ yes - well said.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

joephil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 04:17:19 AM »

^^^ yes - well said.

That's right: Tastes and colors cannot be discussed
Two photos to illustrate

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »
What is "Day 1" for a development car?
The day it's first mods were started?
The first test day?
The day mods were finalized?
The day it was completed - mods/paint/etc?
The final test day?
The first day it was raced?
The day the VIN was finally assigned?
The day it was sold to the first buyer?

At what point in the process does "Day 2" set in??
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »
That's right: Tastes and colors cannot be discussed
Two photos to illustrate

Yet - how many have been taken to task here because their taste runs to caution fan stickers?

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 06:36:53 PM »
I might buy a lottery ticket. If I win I’ll be on the phone buying this one
P.S. I will drive it, maybe not far, but I’ll at least give it one more fling before sitting back and enjoying it.
By the way if you haven’t seen the work that was done on 003 than you must withhold comments. You can spend days just looking at the car and still not see it all.
Fantastic job done by a lot of dedicated people, a big Thank You for preserving history for the rest of us to enjoy
John A. took 5R002 around the Leguna Seca track and pounded it shifting at redline during Monterey speed week one year.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 06:50:54 PM »
John A. took 5R002 around the Leguna Seca track and pounded it shifting at redline during Monterey speed week one year.

;D in 2015.