News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Shelbys en France - Rechercher une information / New: Sport Auto Car 8/66

Started by Szabo, December 04, 2021, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: honker on December 13, 2021, 05:39:09 PM
1965 or 1966 ? GT350 tag, Stephan or joephil, do you know this one, can't make out the chassis number.

Notice the chassis number on the new required tag. It suggests or indicates a 70 Shelby. Seen this on 69 and 70's imported by that dealer

In this example it appears to lack the second digit of the body type and reads (from what I see) 0F0M482xxx

Often the new tags will include the original (us) VIN somewhere
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

joephil

Claude Dubois did not become an importer of Shelby until 1967.
So he did not import a GT350 either in 1965 or 1966.

cf: https://www.classiccourses.fr/magazine/claude-dubois-gentleman-pilote-22/

honker

Thanks all ! for the clarification and information regarding the chassis tag in reply # 43 above, wasn't sure what year it was.

did not mean to divert the thread  ::)

Mike

Szabo

Quote from: joephil on December 13, 2021, 07:32:06 AM
About the GT350 published on 04.1987 in Autopassion Mag Nr. 6, 554 DB 13, intersport sticker:
So it's not 6S797, but maybe 6S947. It belonged to a certain Roland Perret Ducray at the time of the article.
Then registered 930 LV 69 when Burgol bought it and restored it.
If it is 6S947, it is now for sale: https://www.fa-automobile.com/detail-vente.php?voiture-a-vendre=Ford-Mustang-/-Shelby&id=22&v=4212#

Fantastic to see the Car and read your research, another SFM Number for French Market, this is the second number
you bring new to the place.

Thanks a lot

Szabo

Quote from: chris NOS on December 13, 2021, 07:42:44 AM
In april 1987 Autopassion , we can only guess the serial number , but you are probably right 947 can be .

Hey ChrisNOS,

wonderful to see this articel and the Blue Car, thank you very much.

Thanks for your input

Szabo

Quote from: joephil on December 14, 2021, 09:18:17 AM
Claude Dubois did not become an importer of Shelby until 1967.
So he did not import a GT350 either in 1965 or 1966.

cf: https://www.classiccourses.fr/magazine/claude-dubois-gentleman-pilote-22/

I am not so sure, in this interview on Ponysite.de
Claude says that he have sold about 10 1966 GT350,
i think this was mostly after the Brussel Autoshow and was not as the Role
of an big importeur.

with 67 the "Big Buisness" begans, that it is true

http://www.ponysite.de/sheleur_dubois3.htm

But Claude DiBous and Brussels seems to be a good point to start a new Thread in future.

Szabo

I want to share more of the Research which Shelbys we can identify
not with the Vin (at the Moment) but has other Details,
so it seems this cars has a SFM Number which was posted befor,
but which car exactly is shown, who knows ?

in Sport Auto 08 / 1966 a Shelby was tested, it is easly identify
about his french license plate

68 W 03

White, no Top LeMans Stripe, painted Magnum wheels

JoPhil explained me that he is thinking of 6 S 397, who was shipped to Intersport
at 19.04.1966

in the SAAC Registry this car had Top LeMans Stripe, but at 8/1966 only the Cars
6 S 397 and 6 S 398 (the Car has Top LeMans Stripe) was in French for Intersport

the other White Car without Top LeMans Stripe was 6 S 465 and 6 S 467 (which was
sold 19.10.1966 to his 1st unkown owner)

of course i showed the Pics at the beginning of the Thread, but i want to show more
Detais here...

Details: BP Sticker with Flag to the left side, right side with Intersport Sticker next to GT350 Emblem

An unkown Part in the Engine Bay for me, any thought was that should be ???

I dont think it is a AC, or a supercharger, on the sticker (with extrem enlarged on the PC) it is showed
a Ford Oval Emblem, next SHELBY, and a BP Sticker

i tryed to read it in the Articel, but i dont find a good answer i understand...

J_Speegle

Quote from: Szabo on December 14, 2021, 05:40:30 PM

I dont think it is a AC, or a supercharger, on the sticker (with extrem enlarged on the PC) it is showed

Appears, to me , to be a power brake unit. Have seen similar ones added to cars after they got into Europe in the early-mid 60's
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Szabo

In the French Newspaper LĀ“Auto-Journal 04.08.1966 the same car was showed
again and tested, unfortanally no licence Plate could be read ...

but the other details are the same ...  in particular in the engine bay

For the Cover we see a special thing...

first i thought this was "398" with his Top LeMans Stripe, but when you closely as it is possible,
you can see a "MFG 013" Plate ... so we have more question and less solution

Mr.Guts

Quote from: J_Speegle on December 14, 2021, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: Szabo on December 14, 2021, 05:40:30 PM

Appears, to me , to be a power brake unit. Have seen similar ones added to cars after they got into Europe in the early-mid 60's

I concur. It looks like a Girling power brake assist as fitted to Sunbeam Tigers.

SFM66H

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

joephil

In his book "a life on 4 wheels" Ed. du Palmier 2004, p.123 Claude Dubois writes that he sold seven GT350s in 1966 as a car dealer (not 10 as in his inteview on Ponysite)

TransamEd

To be exact..at the beginning of the interview I did with Claude Dubois  he said:
"I sold 9 at the 1966 Bruxelles Show". Helps to know that this was January 66. By April they weren't delivered yet. In his book above he says, that only 7 (of 9 or 10) were delivered in 1966. So the numbers may not contradict, if the buyers let go. In the end it is just an interview and a book with memories. In his VIN files, no 66 are listed, only 67-71.
In his book also mentions his own green Shelby G.T.350 with which he went to Le Mans 66. Might be there are some pics from 1966 Le Mans testing at least out there to research.

Vantomme

Hello Szabo,
I have the 6S398 since eleven years, I bought this car to Jacques Guerin.
Howard Pardee has the last informations.
This car is in many French books, she was used for Intersport to Shelby Homologation in France.
The most particular specificity is the back of the seat driver signed by Carroll Shelby himself in 1992, when he came in Le Mans.
Pleasure to give you more informations.