Author Topic: Checkered Flag - Bill Kolb Jr  (Read 2229 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
Checkered Flag - Bill Kolb Jr
« on: December 08, 2021, 07:45:31 PM »
Bill Kolb Jr passed away Friday December 3, 2021.

A couple of nice articles here.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/12/07/ford-total-performance-and-shelby-promoter-and-racer-bill-kolb-jr-passes-away

Article:
Ford Total Performance and Shelby Promoter and Racer Bill Kolb Jr. Passes Away
By Martyn L. Schorr on Dec 7th, 2021 at 11:44 am

Bill Kolb Jr. passed away quietly at home in Carefree, Arizona, on Friday, December 3, 2021, comforted by his wife, Maryann, and family. Bill was 80 years old and spent his entire adult life in the automotive retail business, and building, racing, and marketing specialty cars. He was the dealer principal at White Plains Ford in White Plains, New York, and Bill Kolb Jr. Ford, in Blauvelt, New York. He and Maryann were dealer principals at Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru, in Orangeburg, New York.Bill Kolb is probably best remembered in the enthusiast community as the 1960s poster boy for Ford's Total Performance and Win On Sunday; Sell On Monday marketing concepts. His close friends often called him "Mr. Monday!"

In 1963 he campaigned a factory 427 Lightweight Galaxie, and in 1964, a 427 Fairlane Thunderbolt Super/Stock in the Northeast states, both sponsored by Larsen Ford in White Plains, New York, where he was employed as high-performance sales director. Kolb's next drag-racing venture was more entertainment than Eliminator: Enter the Little Yellow Wagon, a raucous 427-powered "billboard" capable of running the entire quarter-mile on its rear wheels. It actually proved to be a more effective sales tool than previous Super/Stock race cars.Kolb and his '65 Ford Econoline pickup joined the ranks of wheel-standing exhibitionists, headed by Bill "Maverick" Golden who, driving his Dodge Little Red Wagon, pioneered the genre. The Little Yellow Wagon was powered by a Hilborn-injected 427 side-oiler built by Tasca Ford's John Healey. The engine was mounted on a subframe behind the cab.

Partnered with longtime friend and top Ford tech, John Sachs, Kolb returned to Larsen in 1975, purchased the dealership, and renamed it White Plains Ford. Between 1975 and 1981, White Plains Ford was one of the top-performing stores in the New York District.A close friend of Carroll Shelby, and Lee Iacocca when he was vice president of Ford’s Car and Truck Group, Kolb, at Iacocca's direction, set up a unique Shelby dealership within Gotham Ford in New York City. It was the first dealership-within-a-dealership, selling and servicing only Shelby automobiles. Kolb became a member of Ford's Dealer Council for Performance Cars - the only salesman to be part of this group. He then became a key player in Ford's Shelby marketing programs when Ford hired him to be national spokesperson for the Shelby dealer network.

Between his time at Larsen and Gotham Ford dealerships -- 1965 to 1970 -- Kolb sold more Shelby Cobras, GT Mustangs, and GT40s than anyone else in the country. Documented by SAAC (Shelby American Automobile Club), Kolb's Shelby sales records, including the most 427 Cobras (18), are legendary.

Martyn Schorr, one of Bill’s oldest friends and, in 1967, editor of Hi-Performance CARS magazine, recalls the time that he and Bill spent a day test-driving the prototype Mark III GT40 (M/3 1101) around New York City. It had been left in Bill's care at Gotham Ford after being displayed at the New York Auto Show.

"In April 1967, Bill Kolb called and asked if I wanted to have a little fun test driving a GT40 road car, Ford's first real supercar. I thought of taking it to Lime Rock or another track. He had other ideas saying, 'road testing should be done on the road.'

"We ended up dodging New York City taxis, delivery trucks, and the occasional police car, and we frightened woman, children, and puppies! It was a glorious day. How Bill and I stayed out of jail that day still mystifies me. Our only real challenge was trying to pay tolls on the Triborough Bridge, since the GT40 didn’t have roll-down windows! It ended up being the cover story of the July 1967 issue of Hi-Performance CARS."

In 1984, Kolb enhanced his relationship with Ford as a manufacturer. The company was called Spoilers-Plus, and Kolb produced aerodynamic styling and ground-effects kits for slow-selling vehicles like the Ford EXP. The line was expanded to include bolt-on restyling components for Mustangs and Thunderbirds. Spoilers-Plus became the first aftermarket company to sell aero-enhancing body kits to Ford and its dealer network. Kolb's Spoilers-Plus front air dam was on Bill Elliott’s 1987 Daytona 500-winning Thunderbird, averaging over 176 mph and setting a record. After the race, Elliott sent Bill a note: "Thanks for the air dam, it has the record," signed Bill Elliott.

Total performance had always been a way of life for Bill Kolb Jr., who parlayed a passion for racing and high-performance cars into a legendary career. Masterful at building and marketing specialty vehicles, he kept his decades-old Ford connection alive with Tungsten Grey and Heritage Edition '06 Ford GTs. He drove them as long as possible, until being sidelined with health issues.

Bill is survived by his wife, Maryann Kolb; sister, Rommy Revson; son, William (Bill) Kolb III; and nephew, Nathanial Hunt. A service will be held on Wednesday, December 15, 2021, at 10:30 a.m. at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, 92 S. Lexington Avenue, White Plains, New York.

Donations, in lieu of flowers, may be sent to The Alzheimer’s Association, 340 E. Palm Lane, Suite 230, Phoenix, Arizona 85004. They can also be made online at alz.org (Search Kolb).

*********************************************************************************************************************

Another article with great photos and history.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-man-who-moved-muscle

Wedgeman

• View Profile
Re: Checkered Flag - Bill Kolb Jr
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:54:42 PM »
RIP  Bill, you left your mark ! ;)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »
Bill Kolb was the greatest salesman ever. No debate.

I appreciate his help and guidance.

Prayers to his family

KDunne

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 08:36:31 PM »
Bill

Sounded like a great guy.  Also what a fantastic picture to lead this post. 

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
Rest in peace Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 09:15:44 PM »
Appears he lead a full and fun life.

In our thoughts and prayers this holiday season
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

bsolo66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
I was born and raised in White Plains. I still remember a 427 cobra sitting in the showroom, and my nose print on the showroom window..! We would go to the showroom from time to time to see what new cars came in. RIP Bill Kolb....

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
Legend

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 11:33:13 AM »
R.I.P. Little yellow wagon sounds intriguing..

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
Rest in Peace to him.  Sounds like he led a very interesting life.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »
Amazing story - I see his name pop up over the years & decades and I was not aware of all of his history as presented in this very well written tribute -

Very very cool -

Rest in peace Mr. Kolb - A job well done!

Stephen

Wooahbundy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 03:23:35 PM »
Great article! Thank you for sharing this information. Rest in peace Mr. Kolb.
1970 Shelby GT350 #2346
2013 Boss 302 #3161
1971 Boss 351-Gone but not forgotten!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 04:08:23 PM »
Our deepest condolences to the family

R. I. P.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
Did SAAC ever publish an interview with Bill Kolb in the Shelby American magazine? I would love to go back and read if so. The story of the Little Yellow Wagon and then driving the GT40 through the streets of NYC are both classic. Thanks for posting and RIP Mr. Kolb.   
Jeff