News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT350 radiator support seal, is there supposed to be one?

Started by SChatman, November 21, 2021, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

69 GT350 build date 1/8/69, is it supposed to have a seal? I don't find any holes for a stapled one but I know there is a clip on.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on November 21, 2021, 05:55:38 PM
69 GT350 build date 1/8/69, is it supposed to have a seal? I don't find any holes for a stapled one but I know there is a clip on.
Typically it would have a seal. A radiator support replacement is one explanation for no staple holes. It has been theorized given examples of the clips and even screws that if the staple gun broke down that a alternative method had to be used. The alternative methods are very much in the minority compared to the rest of production however. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

Thanks Bob, it doesn't appear that anything was ever replaced on the front end of my car as all of the spot welds appear to be original, that's why I thought if it had one at one time it might have been clipped on.

J_Speegle

You could always try and find the stamping date to confirm if you choose to.

As Bob offered there were periods of time (hours or days) where the staple machine broke down and the workers were instructed to use the dipped squarish electric clips/retainers until the machine was working again. Based on all of the examples with clips this happened allot.

A few examples from staples (top left) to clips (bottom two) and some of each (top right

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

Thanks Jeff, which clip is correct for a Dearborn car? Also any suggestions on who has those clips, I didn't see them at NPD, CJP, Classic or Kentucky Mustang

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on November 22, 2021, 12:06:50 AM
Thanks Jeff, which clip is correct for a Dearborn car? Also any suggestions on who has those clips, I didn't see them at NPD, CJP, Classic or Kentucky Mustang
NPD's catalog . Item # 372046-S . Those are fully rubber coated. The ones I have seen used originally were half coated. If you want a exact look you will have to modify those.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

West Coast Classic Cougars has them with only half of it rubber coated but they are this green zinc chromate color.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on December 22, 2021, 05:00:10 PM
West Coast Classic Cougars has them with only half of it rubber coated but they are this green zinc chromate color.
They were not silver from the factory. Drop them in a little muriatic acid and the silver zinc plating will disappear in about 4 minutes (when fizzing stops) leaving a bare steel finish . I would use gun bluing to help with rust prevention along with some rust inhibitor product.

SChatman

Thanks Bob. Did you ever decide on a price for those front shocks?