Author Topic: 1969 Instrument Cluster  (Read 3018 times)

sc4248

• View Profile
1969 Instrument Cluster
« on: December 10, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
  Putting the finishing touches on my 69 and I'm at the restoring instrument cluster stage. I know that I need a new ammeter silkscreen. Is the tach guy the only person does that. Would you use the Scott Drake instrument and clock panels, or would you have the originals restored? If restored, by whom? Anybody use the quartz clock that's available? How about instrument lights?  Thanks

SChatman

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Instrument Cluster
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 08:02:02 PM »
It may just be me but I tried that quartz clock replacement mechanism and couldn’t get it to work.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »
  Putting the finishing touches on my 69 and I'm at the restoring instrument cluster stage. I know that I need a new ammeter silkscreen. Is the tach guy the only person does that. Would you use the Scott Drake instrument and clock panels, or would you have the originals restored? If restored, by whom? Anybody use the quartz clock that's available? How about instrument lights?  Thanks
I'd have them restored but cannot recommend anyone right now as I haven't had any done since 2008. Ray Azcue did my 68 Shelby along with the woodgrain and did a fantastic job but  he retired soon after but I made him the templates to do the painting after vacuum metalizing(chroming) the 69 clusters. I heard over the years his brother Tony took over. Ray was in Texas. I have a friend who is getting his cluster done right now locally and When he gets it back I can get you reports on how it came out. There are a few in our area and this might be the one he is using. https://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/content/restoration. They show 1969 dash pieces in their slide show.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

calypso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »
To repair the clock mechanism try clocksandgauges.com    They offer both quartz and electro-mechanical parts.  I recently replaced mine using the mechanical movement and it goes tick tick tick just like the original.  Detailed instructions are included.  It's an easy job.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 12:15:02 PM »
The main problem with the original clock mechinisum happens because the battery drains of power and dies. When the voltage drops below what it needs to run the clock the two contact points will sometimes not close all of the way causing a arc which deposits a carbon buildup on the points which keeps a electrical contact from being made once the battery level has been restored . Fileing the contacts to get rid of that insulating obstruction is the most common fix needed. Don't let your battery die when connected to the car. It is terrible for battery life and also for the clock. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 01:14:53 PM »
I had vacuum ornametal restore my instrument and clock bezels as well as my console inert on my 69 shelby back in 2017.  The paint and finish work turned out very good.  However, he failed to fix the broken plastic tabs on my console insert.  I installed a quartz movement on my clock myself and it has worked perfectly for at least 3 years. 

https://www.instrument-specialties.com/ restored my console gauges and did a great job.  They have the exact artwork for the Faria gauges and use the correct greyish blue background color.  At least they did on mine. 

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
Bob, can you tell me or have a picture to show where the points are in the clock mechanism? I’d like to try and fill them but I’m not seeing where to do it.
Thanks.

69 GT350 Vert, Thank you for the information on gauge repair place

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 08:42:25 PM »
Bob, can you tell me or have a picture to show where the points are in the clock mechanism? I’d like to try and fill them but I’m not seeing where to do it.
Thanks.

69 GT350 Vert, Thank you for the information on gauge repair place
Sorry I don't have a cluster apart or on the shelf seperate to take pictures of .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 11:45:55 PM »
Thanks, that’s exactly what I needed!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 06:11:13 AM »
I had vacuum ornametal restore my instrument and clock bezels as well as my console inert on my 69 shelby back in 2017.  The paint and finish work turned out very good.  However, he failed to fix the broken plastic tabs on my console insert.  I installed a quartz movement on my clock myself and it has worked perfectly for at least 3 years. 

https://www.instrument-specialties.com/ restored my console gauges and did a great job.  They have the exact artwork for the Faria gauges and use the correct greyish blue background color.  At least they did on mine.
So you had a good job done by vacuum ornamental here in Mi? Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 06:19:36 AM »
Thanks, that’s exactly what I needed!
over the decades I have had a few clocks that didn't work. Back in the 80s I learned to clean the clocks and use a light oil on the gears to lube. I'd do that and blow the clock out again. I have yet to have a clock not work after doing that AND cleaning the contact points. In both my 69 cars the clock works and they are original over 50 years old. I have seen some with the burnt contacts like Bob has said. I got a clock project I will get to in the future as my friend just gave me a 69-70 clock.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 07:00:25 AM »
I currently have the clock out of my 70 Mach 1.  I did a light spray with contact cleaner, used an emery board to lightly clean the points, and used clock oil to lube it very sparingly at the locations shown in the article.  Unfortunately, the mechanical part still doesn't work.  If I apply 12 volts the contacts will spread apart, but the clock doesn't run thereafter. If I apply pressure to the open points to close them, the mechanism runs.  I don't see anything that looks broken or disconnected.  At this point I'm considering converting to a quartz mechanism, but still frustrating.  I had expected the problem to be the points or the solenoid.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 07:11:57 AM »
I recently had an issue with my tach not reading over about 1,200rpm.

I had someone I trust look at it and it was fine electronically but what it showed was that the jewel movement had accumulated metallic magnetic dust.

It was cleaned and it works fine now.

I believe that the clock also uses a jewel movement. Something to consider.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
I did Gary.  The parts still look the same almost 6 years later.  Really nice detail work.