News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SHOCK TOWER CAPS

Started by shelbymann1970, December 12, 2021, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

Quote from: KR Convertible on December 13, 2021, 01:31:53 PM
This is just a guess.  Is it possible that the threaded pieces were oven brazed.  The washers look welded.

I think those were spot welded.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: CharlesTurner on December 13, 2021, 02:32:00 PM
Quote from: KR Convertible on December 13, 2021, 01:31:53 PM
This is just a guess.  Is it possible that the threaded pieces were oven brazed.  The washers look welded.

I think those were spot welded.
As a person who has welded for our die operations for a short window of time but have dealt with details being welded for over 40 years by my journeymen Tool and Die Welders I can say that these caps-like the ones on my 70- are welded as in a filler "like"  material was used and the washers with the filler material were liquified in the "bonding" process. You can see the edge burn off on the washers. One of the nuances when I learned to weld tool trim steels is to not have an edge burn off where the weld ends you still have an edge with the virgin steel. Too hot welding and stopping creates a melted edge on the virgin material right where you stopped. Why I usually tig welded and not arc or mig. In todays environment we are going towards laser welding and hardening for our tool and die operations. We will get a new machine in our facility by next summer. Again I'm not an expert welder but one who knows enough to be dangerous and honestly have never seen the process of brazing like has been mentioned by PBF777  :) :) :)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

pbf777

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 13, 2021, 01:51:51 PM
My guess is that it was a fix for caps that didn't pass inspection for proper welding.

Possible, but it would seem odd to have components in original engineering outline to be welded, with the caveat that if these pieces should fail Q.C. then a brazing operation would be incurred as a suitable 'fix' substitution? :-\

My experience in the past with F.M.C. is that they would have just tossed them out!  But now, if this had been Chrysler, well............ ::)

And I'm not saying what is or was, but rather inquiring only on the if. ???

Scott.

tgilliam

Having a bit of experience in manufacturing and fabrication I believe it is possible the "copper colored" spots on the OP's caps may be due to a fixture to hold the caps and washers for welding. The contact points for the fixture may have been copper in order to ground the part. The appearance could be influenced (more or less noticeable) due to too high a temperature setting on the welder. Basically, during the welding some of the copper was transferred to the part due to current flow. I have seen similar type results on other parts (not automotive) that were machine welded.
Just my two cents.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 - 6417

Coralsnake

Thank you Tom, I enjoy reading constructive and educational information.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 13, 2021, 06:49:13 PM
looks just like mine
Mine had a hint of blue paint on one like yours does.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Quote from: tgilliam on December 14, 2021, 02:14:21 PM
Having a bit of experience in manufacturing and fabrication I believe it is possible the "copper colored" spots on the OP's caps may be due to a fixture to hold the caps and washers for welding. The contact points for the fixture may have been copper in order to ground the part. The appearance could be influenced (more or less noticeable) due to too high a temperature setting on the welder. Basically, during the welding some of the copper was transferred to the part due to current flow. I have seen similar type results on other parts (not automotive) that were machine welded.
Just my two cents.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 - 6417
Thanks for your expertise Tom. That makes total sense now.  I have used copper before to use as a "base" for welding up broken off surfaces on cast iron dies. I also have used copper plates as a base for welding(grounding) as the regular tables(beat up and such I have seen the parts on them "arc" and leave the surface with a "prick punch" like surface if that makes sense. I have also used copper for filling in holes in parts like when I make 68 BB frame mounts from 68-70 SB frame mounts.  :)  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

gt350shelb

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 15, 2021, 11:21:50 AM
looks just like mine

I remember when i bought the car the brackets were bare metal and the paint daub was visible the copper was very  visible then . on a side note there is not black paint under  the blue ....... granted this may just  be weird early car thing . but they may never have been painted black originally on  my car  .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

pbf777

Quote from: tgilliam on December 14, 2021, 02:14:21 PM
..............it is possible the "copper colored" spots on the OP's caps may be due to a fixture to hold the caps and washers for welding. The contact points for the fixture may have been copper in order to ground the part. The appearance could be influenced (more or less noticeable) due to too high a temperature setting on the welder. Basically, during the welding some of the copper was transferred to the part due to current flow.

Seems a reasonable argument, particularly in the O.P. photos presenting "spots" of copper deposited, but in the second examples (post #17)?  In either instance the required welding execution was of the relatively small and limited area of what I would say are tack-welds; these requiring somewhat short duration application of current, and realizing the the potential heat required to heat the steel and melt and flow the copper particularly the sum in the second example..........well, I just don't see the current load in these tack-welds as being sufficient.    ???

Of course in this discussion we have 'assumed' that the discoloration is 'copper', sure looks like it, but............ :-\

But if all is so, then it surly was a F.U. execution!   ::)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 15, 2021, 09:56:33 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 15, 2021, 11:21:50 AM
looks just like mine

I remember when i bought the car the brackets were bare metal and the paint daub was visible the copper was very  visible then . on a side note there is not black paint under  the blue ....... granted this may just  be weird early car thing . but they may never have been painted black originally on  my car  .
The current conscience is that the brackets with the reinforements were painted black while the non reinforced brackets were not painted (Dearborn,Metuchen ) because if not painted the welding would flash rust in short order. Regardless finding a original reinforced bracket originally unpainted is likely not a wierd early thing . Most likely it is in the weird anomoly catagory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby