News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Barrett Jackson 1969 CHEVROLET CAMARO RS/SS "CUTAWAY" COUPE" 1 of 2 built

Started by FL SAAC, December 13, 2021, 10:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

It's like a Transformer! This 1969 Chevrolet Camaro is one of two known cutaway promotional display cars used by Chevrolet in 1968 on the Motorama circuit to promote sales for the new 1969 Camaro model. This Camaro is referred to as the "Double Header Car" as it has both a 6-cylinder base model front end as well as an RS/SS 350 front end which sat on a series of three turn tables and could be interchanged to display either version of the car. Kept privately and out of the public eye for 52 years it will be crossing the block with No Reserve at our 2022 Scottsdale Auction, January 22-30.

Click the link for more information: bit.ly/SD22-CamaroRSSSS
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

FYI

bit.ly/SD22-CamaroRSSSS

Lot #1369 - This 1969 Chevrolet Camaro is one of two known cutaway promotional display cars used by Chevrolet in 1968 on the Motorama circuit to promote sales for the new 1969 Camaro model. This Camaro is referred to as the "Double Header Car" as it has both a 6-cylinder base model front end as well as an RS/SS 350 front end which sat on a series of three turn tables and could be interchanged to display either version of the car with just the push of a button. The body would raise, the turn tables would rotate and in short, switch the front ends of the car changing it from an RS/SS 350 into a 6-cylinder base model car. The Camaro's body "is a first day of production body" and much of the body is in its original condition from the time it was modified for display. The Camaro has some dings, scratches, bumps, bruises and touchups as to be expected with its age, but they must remain in an effort to keep it original. Additionally, the Camaro is absent any doors to allow Motorama spectators to peer into the interior without obstruction. Much of the control circuitry still remains mounted in the trunk area and behind the front valance panel. The trunk floor is heavily reinforced so that the body would not crack when it was raised for the front ends to be switched. Powertrain wise, the Camaro's engine(s) - a V8 and straight-6 - originally rotated with the assistance of an electric motor so the internal functions of the engine could be viewed be spectators. The car currently rests in a static condition. In keeping with the car's originality, only parts unavoidably needing to be restored or replaced have been changed. The original 6-cylinder front end was discarded by a prior owner several years ago. Later, an exact duplicate 6-cylinder front end was built using original and NOS GM parts to bring back the glory of the "Double Header" display. After a 10-year search one of the original GM straight-6 cutaway engines was located, restored and installed. In short, the heart of the 6-cylinder nose is an authentic GM cutaway engine. Note: GM removed all casting numbers from all drivetrain components. The car also still has its original heavy cover which was put over the car when it was transported. This car has been kept privately and out of the public eye for 52 years and as documented on the title, this Camaro has 2.4 miles. Included in the sale are some of the original blueprints and wiring schematics for the display as well as a Jerry MacNeish Certificate of Authenticity.

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

Would that be considered artwork or a car? For ones viewing pleasure only...

430dragpack

A buddy of mine has the other 6 cylinder front section....or maybe I should say the only original one since it sounds like the 6 cyl. front is not the original one but a recreation. I took these photos in '06 and it had been at the same place for decades.

430dragpack

More pics.  The big grey electric motor slowly turns the engine over.

Side-Oilers

Cool piece of garage art.   Wonder why they didn't build one with the 396?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Quote from: 430dragpack on December 14, 2021, 09:36:12 AM
A buddy of mine has the other 6 cylinder front section....or maybe I should say the only original one since it sounds like the 6 cyl. front is not the original one but a recreation. I took these photos in '06 and it had been at the same place for decades.
.    Any idea how heavy that puppy is?

FL SAAC

Gota be over two bushels

Quote from: 557 on December 14, 2021, 04:18:56 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on December 14, 2021, 09:36:12 AM
.    Any idea how heavy that puppy is?

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Yup, we had a topless version of one. Would piss people off when they views a FL SAAC sticker on the windshield and a Carroll Shelby frame around the tag, oh well !

Back to the topic, I agree should have offered a 396 cut away also

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 15, 2021, 09:08:21 AM
I like the full uncut BB version better.

I have all UNGOLD cars