Author Topic: Exhaust recommendatstion.  (Read 3112 times)

pmustang

• View Profile
Exhaust recommendatstion.
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
Even though I adore my 66 GT50 with its 65 style side exhaust it is making me deaf

Can anyone suggest a replacement system?

My car is not concourse nor will it ever be a super duper show car in my ownership, so not looking for a Scott Fuller type of system

I don't however want to make alterations to install a new system

I am thinking about an Arvindode system at this point

Any comments, suggestions would be most welcome.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust recommendatstion.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »
Even though I adore my 66 GT50 with its 65 style side exhaust it is making me deaf

Can anyone suggest a replacement system?

My car is not concourse nor will it ever be a super duper show car in my ownership, so not looking for a Scott Fuller type of system

I don't however want to make alterations to install a new system

I am thinking about an Arvindode system at this point

Any comments, suggestions would be most welcome.
Why re invent the wheel? What is the problem with getting a couple of muffler's similar to the shape and size Ford used (I know you are in the UK) locally and having a local shop run it out the back with turn downs like the stock 66 GT350 exhaust. Since the Arvindode system will be expensive and will not look right ether what are your reasons for thinking about that choice?.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scott Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
The Arvinode exhaust will also make you deaf.

Scott

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »
Man I love that side exhaust. ........
If you think a typical 65 side exhaust system is loud you would not believe something I’m running....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »
If originally isn’t a worry.

Could you place a couple of Supertrap discs in the existing exhaust system so you could retain the “look” yet tone it down a bit? Not sure if they make any that would fit.

The Performance would be the same.

Stubee

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »
Agreed its fast cheap easy and can be adjusted to your liking adding discs or removing disks. Clamp on to boot. that's the ticket! :D

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »
Trouble with Supertraps is the look might make viewers thing that you are running a replica '65, if you care.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 11:30:59 PM »
Well being a master of the ing-lesh language he said I don't want to alter his system. So by process of eelinamasion bolt on sum supa traps n roll like a big dog. simplest fix n cheep also-

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 02:12:43 AM »
Yikes, Ton of Replies, Thanks,

Bob, not afraid of that method. Sounds easier shipping wise as well

Scott, Just to clarify, I LOVE your systems and wasn't dissing them, Just not for me at this time with my driver quality car

As far as the Avrindode, I figured with rear exit rather than side it may be easier on the ears but good to know they are deafening as well.

Another issue I should have mentioned is the pesky grunting noise the car seems to make I have mentioned before, I am nearly positive its the exhaust so eliminating the whole current system may be the answer to that problem.

I am going to speak to a fairly local exhaust place who are known for very nice work and see what they say as well.

Thanks folks, Peter

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 08:03:14 AM »
If you're running the original style "cherry bomb" glasspacks with 2-inch pipes, you can change them out for some Flowmasters or Magnaflows  with 2-1/2 inch pipes for a deeper, more authoritative sound. 
5S071, 6S1467

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
Buy a set of ear plugs. Cuts noise by about 30 decibels of sound depending on the brand. My $1.00 solution for you to keep the glorious exhaust that you already have. Screw the neighbors!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »
run the pipes out the back, and install electric cutouts to the side pipes. much more reliable now the in the past. both sounds at the flip of the switch. phred

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
run the pipes out the back, and install electric cutouts to the side pipes. much more reliable now the in the past. both sounds at the flip of the switch. phred
My choice would be pipes out the back and electric cutouts for full open exhaust . Fun to scare the you know what out of the car next to you when you go from one to another at a stop light as you put your foot to the floor..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
My choice would be pipes out the back and electric cutouts for full open exhaust . Fun to scare the you know what out of the car next to you when you go from one to another at a stop light as you put your foot to the floor..

Excellent point.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"